• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:41:07 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

VR: First Impressions

Started by Myst1cPrun3, March 04, 2019, 02:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst1cPrun3

Soo I got my VR Running today, and holy crap GPB is amazing. I was close to vomiting after about 3 laps, but I was laughing all the way LOL
Not set up 100% yet, so still tweaks to make to it to improve smoothness etc.

I've found a few Dos and dont's for first time users:

DO: Make sure its setup correctly, (I have the Oculus, and even though the oculus app can be a pain its quite helpful for the setup.
DON'T: Test on a hilly track. This is a mistake I made, and let me tell you, the corkscrew on a 600, with a headset thats not setup 100% will make you sick. (Although it is fun while it lasts)
DO: Test with a Bike that's smooth, I used the WSSP2018 bikes by Julien
DON'T: Whip out a ducati Panigale on Macau. That is again, vomit inducing, and quite frankly, in a 1:1 3D Visual Ratio, F**king Scary.
DO: Get some custom lenses if you need Glasses. While you can get some glasses behind it it can be awkward, and custom lenses are more natural. Going to look into mine soon.
DO: Make sure the motion sensors are setup right. A jagged movement/losing connection will be vomit inducing.
DON'T: Crash.
DO: set your ingame FOV, PITCH and TILT adjusters right

Overall VR seems to be a good purchase ATM, Just got to set the thing up right. The more you seem to put in, the more you seem to get out of it.

Everything is in 3D, and that's a weird sensation to get used to, especially the sense of speed, however once I did, i actually found It more intuitive, even with a gamepad. I could judge slides, both on the entry and exit of turns, and was able to recover from running wide, relatively smoothly, rather than just launching myself into orbit.

Overall, VR I'd reccommend VR over a flatscreen, should you have the space and PC to use it with.  :) :) :) :) :) Can't wait to jump online for a session later :)

teeds

Nice 1  8)

Do you actually use any of the Pitch, FOV or Tilt controls in VR?

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: teeds on March 04, 2019, 02:50:14 PM
Nice 1  8)

Do you actually use any of the Pitch, FOV or Tilt controls in VR?

Fiddled with them a little bit, had to go back to college so I didn't get a full bash at it. Seemed to help a little, but not sure if that's just a placebo effect thing, as I didn't get enough time to test properly

Gibbon

Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on March 04, 2019, 02:00:47 PM
I was close to vomiting after about 3 laps

Hi,
Did you try this:

Quote from: PiBoSo on February 19, 2017, 11:02:38 PM

[view]
mode = 1

To select the "alternative" mode for the onboard views ( pointing to the direction of motion and pitch relative to the ground rather than the bike ).

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Gibbon on March 07, 2019, 12:24:09 PM
Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on March 04, 2019, 02:00:47 PM
I was close to vomiting after about 3 laps

Hi,
Did you try this:

Quote from: PiBoSo on February 19, 2017, 11:02:38 PM

[view]
mode = 1

To select the "alternative" mode for the onboard views ( pointing to the direction of motion and pitch relative to the ground rather than the bike ).
That could help, particularly at lower speeds such as in the pits. There are some stutters on mods that I've found, but on the M2 at Victoria it's smooth as silk.
Will try this code later, which file does it goes to?

Gibbon

Sorry, I did not mention it.
It is profile.ini

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Gibbon on March 07, 2019, 01:01:19 PM
Sorry, I did not mention it.
It is profile.ini

Cheers, will give that a go later.

tchemi

If I'm not mistaken, this mode is not available in VR. But in any way you might not need it. Doesn't the occulus track your head movement ? With the Vive, It was like this

Myst1cPrun3

This mode does work with vr, and from testing it changes where the head is initially fixed to. By default its fixed to be looking through the screen, so if you pull a wheelie you look up etc, but this mode seems to either remove this completely or soft lock it to horizon.
It basically changes how your camera reacts when you're not moving your head. Seems much better to have it on, certainly less motion sickness as there's less sudden movements

tchemi

One of the best option of GPB, for sure. Mr Piboso must have added it for VR also. I havn't played with the VR mode for more than a year

Myst1cPrun3

This mode helps a lot, and gets rid of motion sickness almost completely for me. Only on some tracks that stutter, such as javis Donnington is where I feel it