• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

How to host a dedicated server

Started by Arvoss, February 03, 2014, 02:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arvoss

February 03, 2014, 02:05:56 PM Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:14:51 PM by Arvoss
After successfully hosting my own dedicated server I decided to make this topic. I had a lot of problems setting up my server but thanks to dibu and PeterV it worked :D

Can I host a dedicated server?
Of course! What is a server? A server is just a computer that is connected to the internet. The connection of your server will depend on your internet speed and your RAM.

What I'm using:
I'm using a MacBook Pro (Bootcamp) with 4GB of RAM and this is my internet connection:

Step 1
Read the dedicated server topic by PiBoSo and copy the ini file into a new document. You can change the track and settings.
http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=26.0

Step 2
Port? What?
To host a server you need a port number. I'm using 20510 because 10510 doesn't work... Now we need to forward this port to your ip address.

Port forwarding:
First of al you need to know your local ip.
run > cmd > ipconfig
Look for you ipv4 address. It should be something like 192.168.x.x. In some cases it can be something different.

Now go to your router settings. If you don't know how to get there, search your router name on Google and normally you'll get some tutorials on how to connect to your settings ;)

Go to settings and look for port forwarding.
IP Address: You ip of the ipconfig: 192.168.x.x
Start/begin port: 20510
End port: 20510
Protocol: UDP
Active

Now you have succesfully forwarded the port to your ip address ;)

Step 3
In your firewall, you have to allow incoming traffic on the dedicated server UDP port (also known as "open the port").

Step 4
Start your server
Go to run and open:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\GP Bikes\core.exe"  -dedicated 20510 -set params practice.ini

dedicated 20510 is your port number and practice.ini is my ini file.

Step 5
Look if your servers shows a ping in the game. It's the number on the right side of your server. If it shows a number, everyone can connect to your server! :D

Now you have your own server :D

I hope this tutorial helped you :D If there are mistakes or thing that are not clear enough, please tell me and I'll correct them! :D

HornetMaX

I'd rephrase point 3: the sentence "You have to disable your firewall" made me jump of my chair.
Better formulation: "In your firewall, you have to allow incoming traffic on the dedicated server UDP port (also known as "open the port")".

MaX.

Arvoss

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 03, 2014, 04:13:52 PM
I'd rephrase point 3: the sentence "You have to disable your firewall" made me jump of my chair.
Better formulation: "In your firewall, you have to allow incoming traffic on the dedicated server UDP port (also known as "open the port")".

MaX.

Ok, I'll change that :p