• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:45:25 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Setting up rider tracking and gyro leaning

Started by Waydalf, October 23, 2019, 11:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waydalf

Hello all,

This will be my first topic in here :)

I tried to fiddle with DST and DSA and, while i struggled at the beginning (and still i am), i loved the feeling. As a rider IRL, the lack of leaning my body with the bike made it very tricky to me. It was like memorizing inverted controls.

Im trying to install some softwares to be able to lean with the gyro of my phone. I then installed opentracker and VJoy. While i managed to use opentracker to control freelook (worked quite perfectly), i want to control the leaning of the rider himself. Ticking the 'rider tracking' option did nothing, and VJoy ...well... i didnt manage to make it function. No matter the output of opentracker, inputs on VJoay dont budge.

Could a helpful soul come to my aid ?

Thanks in advance.

Waydalf

October 23, 2019, 11:50:20 AM #1 Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:58:11 AM by Waydalf
NeverMind, and again thanks for every reader. Im sure it waited the moment i posted this question to magically function...

Fixed and closed

Edit : I do still have a question. To manage controlling riders lean, i simply assigned F/B and L/R lean to the virtual joystick. Its working as i wanted, but what does the option 'rider tracking' do ? its unticked as i have no effect on it.

Thanks in advance.

Myst1cPrun3

Rider tracking is for head tracking software, such as track IR, edtracker, or Virtual reality.

It functions by measuring how far your head tracking moves, and then moves the rider in game.
Much the same as what you've achieved but it still allows the joysticks to be mapped.

I use it with my Oculus Rift, (All of my Recent VR Vids on YT are using it), but at the minute, the F/R lean is not very well calibrated, so I have that set to Auto.

Example:
(Look at how the rider behaves vs how it behaves with an auto lean on some other vid)

Overall if you've got this working, and are happy with it, don't even bother changing it.

doubledragoncc

I have just developed a body motion system that plugs directly into the Bodnar board. It sends a PWM signal like a thumbstick so no additional software for tracking body movement which is on a chest harness and wireless.

Feels so good to use actual body movement and works great in GPBikes and can be calibrated for how you want it to work. Can actually do Roll Pitch and Yaw.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Waydalf

October 23, 2019, 01:15:38 PM #4 Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:17:18 PM by Waydalf
Ok Myst1cPrun3, so rider tracking is only for 6DOF stuff. thanks for the response.

What i really miss is steering the bike on corner exit on those mini wheelies using the wheel's precession, and when u slam the front straight...

I think im happy with the freelook as it is (with default steering, as im participating in your event on that mad track), but soon after ill train for DST with the gyro lean. Been simracing on cars for 13 years and, even if i prefer 2wheels, i never dug hard , and found only bland motorcycle games. Lost hope and never searched again. This is a pure gem, i felt in love at the second !

If you could advice me based on your (and you too doubledragoncc) long experience on this game. What, in this game, comes close to real bike riding ? DST or DSA ? (i know that in real, u put a torque on the handlebar and physics do the rest, but in practical on this particular game).

And also, and i apologize for the so many questions, What do you advise ? track the camera or the leaning F/B L/R ?

Myst1cPrun3

Direct Steer, with a car simulation wheel, is the closest feeling you'll get to a real motorcycle. I never use this however as my tiny brain just can't compute using a steering wheel and pedals for motorcycle inputs.

If you can mount a set of handle bars to the wheel, like on the quick release (good vid below) then the game transforms apparently. Again I've never used this as I've been playing bike games with a game-pad for years, and its just what I'm used to.

In all my GP Bikes life, (Around 2 years) I've used an Xbox controller, with the standard steer input setting. The only things that were changed is the binds, to replicate the binds I was used to in the MotoGP games.

In the menus I use 65% on the direct lean slider. This for me gives a nice compromise between steering speed and riding smoothness, but ultimately its up to your personal preference.

As for the mini Wheelies, the more powerful bikes do this, such as the MotoGP machines and some 1000cc Superbikes, however there are some issues with the way the virtual rider handles this. The dev (Piboso) is currently investigating this.

Waydalf

Yeah for the steering wheel, i lock it at 120 degrees and i think of it as the lean angle of the pilot (or the bike). Clutch stays and both brakes on same pedal (tweaking rear one, but hesitating on differentiating them as it still tends to lock the rear).

I set the direct lean at 70 too to have, like you said, smoothness and speed/precision.

For the wheelies, your talking about their effect while on default steering mode (tendency to go straight without any torque applied) or even on DS mode ?

really appreciating the time and the kindness you gave me. Thumbs up.

Myst1cPrun3

October 23, 2019, 06:47:09 PM #7 Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:49:13 PM by Myst1cPrun3
Quote from: Waydalf on October 23, 2019, 05:52:37 PMYeah for the steering wheel, i lock it at 120 degrees and i think of it as the lean angle of the pilot (or the bike). Clutch stays and both brakes on same pedal (tweaking rear one, but hesitating on differentiating them as it still tends to lock the rear).

I set the direct lean at 70 too to have, like you said, smoothness and speed/precision.

For the wheelies, your talking about their effect while on default steering mode (tendency to go straight without any torque applied) or even on DS mode ?

really appreciating the time and the kindness you gave me. Thumbs up.

If you're using a force feedback steering wheel, (Literally any one, some guys use g27, others like in the vid use fanatec etc) I would really recommend using the DST mode. I personally can't really say on how the handling works with DST, as I never got far enough, my brain always crapped out at the car inputs on a motorbike, and like I said I only used a gamepad and the default steering mode.

I perhaps should also point out, that compared to some of the guys here I have relatively little track experience, so I tend to use an amalgamation of others reviews and opinions when I speak.
That being said, I do have some experience, and will put that in where relevant though.

The rider keeps pulling the handlebars straight, when they're not under load. There's a lot more info on this here: https://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=5464.0
but from what I can gather its supposed to be removed (Or at least reduced) using Direct Steer mode.

Waydalf

October 24, 2019, 02:14:49 PM #8 Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:17:35 PM by Waydalf
Yup ill stick with DST, because it tends to be more realistic for me. If you lose momentum at low speeds, you can use throttle and the clutch to help you keep the bike up. But in this case, i must 'rearrange' my steering wheel with some kind of handlebar.

I tested DST and those corner exit wheelie, and it does steer the bike.

Any way, u gave me more than expected. Thanks for that !

P.S : i think illl just reassemble,like looong way back in my Flight sim days, a cheap 3 infrared leds on my cap, to simulate 6DOF.

Vini

*Bump*

How did you get vJoy to work with GP Bikes, Waydalf?

Vini

Nevermind, figured it out.
I use Joystick Gremlin now to feed the vJoy data from Opentrack into GPB.

Getting the movements right requires a lot of tweaking of the deadzones and mapping curves but I think I found a good base configuration for now that fits my natural body movements in VR.
One thing I had to do was to manually edit the calibration file for the virtual joystick and enter fixed values so that I can properly finetune it using the Opentrack curves and GPB's in-game input settings.