• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:52 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

File Encryption Tool for Modders Please Piboso?

Started by Hawk, February 21, 2020, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on March 05, 2020, 11:00:02 AMI wonder if views on this subject will change if the bike goes to STEAM and the potential exists to be paid for mod content through workshop.

As I indicated in my last post, I honestly think that until Piboso gets a grip on the way his modding model works then anything created, even like Corrie did to sell, will be wide open to abuse and copying by unscrupulous so called modders who will take advantage of others hard work..... Piboso needs to sort it out before modding could go down that route, in my opinion.  ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on March 04, 2020, 02:24:54 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on March 04, 2020, 12:56:07 PMAnd I feel you've missed the question, let me try to ask it again:

"I totally agree that copying without crediting is bad practice, but I still don't get what the authors of encrypted mods would gain from that.

I mean: modder B rips from modder A. What does modder A stand to lose from that ?"

If you have no clear answer to that, then I have no idea what we're talking about except modders' ego (not saying it's your/your team case in particular).

Max. You seem to be missing a basic overall situation here: No one is saying that all mods HAVE to be encrypted.
If the tool was made available0, then those that wish to encrypt their work can do so, but at the same time those that don't wish to encrypt their work can do that too, so why bring up issues that have no relevance to Piboso releasing his encryption tool? What's the issue here?

Seems to me that the only ones who don't like the idea of MOD work being encrypted by those the wish to do so are the ones who like the idea of being able to steal others work & information?

On top of that, there is the very likely possibility that if there was an encryption tool available for modders work then the more professional modders would more likely provide their work happily to the GPBike community..... It's a win win situation, so I just cannot understand the objections and somewhat lame excuses being put forward for not releasing Piboso's encryption tool? What's the problem, really, apart from as I said that certain people want to be able to steal others hard work and information and take credit for it. You wouldn't like it if someone stole your work and took credit for it so why do you expect others to not give a damn? It's not about ego, it's about doing what's right and actually giving a damn about doing what's right, something that is obviously lacking in recent generations by the sound of it?

Ok, I give up on you actually answering the question. Fine.

Yes, I did get it was optional but no, that's not a supporting argument.
Doing what's right is a very subjective matter.
My work here cannot be stolen, because it's free. In the past I've given my code to somebody else, just in case I run out of willingness to keep it updated. The day I decide to drop it, I'll surely throw it to somebody here. And when I actually started on MaxHUD, I got the basis from somebody else (random, thx man !).

There's no "PiBoSo encryption tool". If you want to do encrypted mods seriuously it may take quite some effort. PiBoSo is not Eagle Dynamics.

Quote from: h106frp on March 05, 2020, 11:00:02 AMI wonder if views on this subject will change if the bike goes to STEAM and the potential exists to be paid for mod content through workshop.

As I said initially, yes, defintely, as in this case there's money involved.

So is this the *real* justification for asking for mods encryption ?
Because that (money) would be a legitimate reason.

Personally, I wouldn't like GPB to take that direction however (paid-for mods), especially if PiBoSo doesn't get a share of the money (which Eagle Dynamics surely does).

h106frp

Reading through the workshop notes they support pay what you want/free or priced options and allow you to automatically split the dividends with any decalred contributors so it would be possible to send all or some to PiBoso.

They also enforce control of ripped/stolen content through a takedown/arbitration channel or the ability to credit the original author and I guess add them to the payment dividend.

No interest in charging for my stuff but the pay what you want and divert the dividend back into core development is interesting.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on March 06, 2020, 07:34:14 PMNo interest in charging for my stuff but the pay what you want and divert the dividend back into core development is interesting.
But we can do this today (without any encryption), no ?
Put a paypal button along your mod page here and when you (modder) get some money, just kick part of it back to PiBoSo (if he's OK with that, it may not be as easy as it sounds).

In which way would encryption make that easier ?

Bit off-topic: I do like steam and I find it very handy, but the cut they take is borderline outrageous, especially for small developers. As a developer (or modder) I defintely wouldn't be happy about it.

Hawk

March 09, 2020, 09:45:50 AM #64 Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:57:20 AM by Hawk
Quote from: HornetMaX on March 08, 2020, 08:45:43 PMIn which way would encryption make that easier ?

Bit off-topic: I do like steam and I find it very handy, but the cut they take is borderline outrageous, especially for small developers. As a developer (or modder) I defintely wouldn't be happy about it.

I don't mind a bit of off-topic debate on my threads Max. ;)

Totally agree with you about the cut that Steam take from devs, but there are ways and means around it for developers if they are clever....

As a dev you have to realise that there are several markets for your product: Those that will always buy products at full price from Steam, those that would never buy your products off Steam at full price but would look for cheap Steam Keys from Steam sales events or other sites that provide cheaper keys and those that would always look for pirated free versions...... As a developer and good businessman you can take advantage of all those markets in promoting your product sales.

As for file encryption...... The option should be there for those that wish to protect their work. For those that are not bothered(probably cause they are working with ripped content) they can continue to release unprotected content if Piboso wishes to continue to allow ripped content to be released for his projects. Problem solved Max. :P  :)

Vini