• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:36:35 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Indianapolis WIP

Started by Arvoss, March 18, 2014, 08:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arvoss

Quote from: janaucarre on March 20, 2014, 07:33:19 PM
the limit of polygons is by your pc config in first. By me the export begins to crash about 300 000 polys, i know that noss can export more than 500 000 polys.
For a good fps in game i think the best is to be between 150 000 and 250 000.
I work on aragon and note that the basic version have many walls of tyres, all tyres are modellised, and they represent more than half ofall polys pf the track, so i rebuild them.
Many persons have had shutting down fps because these tyres walls.
First rule i've learned in 3d was: build things with the least possible polygons you can, the big part is to make textures looking like the real. With that rule you will have a gain of building time and a gain in rendering(if you want to make animations), and of course a gain of treatment ingame.

I'll try to use less polygons as possible ;) I can always delete some faces afterwards of course. The fences will have most vertices I think. I'll see, I'm not there yet :P

Hawk

March 20, 2014, 07:46:23 PM #31 Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:52:46 PM by Hawk_UK
Quote from: Arvoss on March 20, 2014, 07:35:31 PM
I'll try to use less polygons as possible ;) I can always delete some faces afterwards of course. The fences will have most vertices I think. I'll see, I'm not there yet :P

If your talking about the see-thru wire fences surrounding most circuits these days, you don't model the wire fencing, you use a texture with alpha map and then UV map the texture onto a plane surface to represent the wire in the fence. It's a lot simpler and saves a MEGA huge amount of ploy's that would otherwise need rendering.  ;)

janaucarre

finally i post screenshot for good and not good disposition of vertex along the asphalt:

Good:
http://imageshack.com/a/img541/3751/e3zc.png

Not good:
http://imageshack.com/a/img19/5737/4i94.png

I saw that you have not good vertex disposition on certain part of your WIP indianapolis.
I hope you good understand.

Arvoss

Thanks Jannau, it's clear now :D I'll fix the corners ;)

Hawk

Hi Arvoss.
If I may, can I suggestion for you to study about the pitfalls of Ngons and also about the benefits of good topology for realtime 3D modelling work. If you neglect these things you will create big problems when you come to UV mapping and texturing your model, and also Ngons in particular takes the GPU/CPU a lot longer to render into Tri's than taking a quad plane into Tri's which all game graphics engines use in their rendering, hence when someone rips a track(or any ripped 3D model) from a game it will come out as a triangulated polygonal model rather than a quadrated poly model as the ripper software takes the model data after it's been rendered.

Also for the track surface, I understand the novice thinking that the less verts the more efficient the rending(which to a certain degree is very true), but especially when building models of track surfaces that need to work well with the way collision models are generated, usually these days from the topology of the track surface model, you need to build in more resolution to your track surface with good topology all round. Just creating the track surface from oblong poly's is asking for trouble in the way the collision model is generated, especially when you come to tight hairpin bends where the topology of the track surface will become very distorted, this also makes texturing the track a nightmare because you get a lot of distortions and stretching in your textures. I believe having seen others topology on tracks we are using that this could be a reason we have so many problems with bikes slipping over for no apparently good reason when taking these tight turns on corners and chicanes.

Just some friendly advice from a fellow 3D Modeller ;) :)

Arvoss

Thanks for the advice ;) Is it me or is it complicated to export a track to GP Bikes? I checked the tools.piboso and everything looks so difficult  :o

Arvoss

Does someone know where the last corner is placed? I can't find a good image on google and the onboard view has a small field of view.

Arvoss

Alby46

Great work! I'm really looking after this :)
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

janaucarre

i think you made the job very speedy:)

Arvoss

March 21, 2014, 02:54:15 PM #40 Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:56:10 PM by Arvoss
Quote from: PiBoSo on March 19, 2014, 05:39:14 PM
Quote from: Arvoss on March 18, 2014, 08:20:36 PM
Quote from: Alby46 on March 18, 2014, 08:11:14 PM
is blender working good? it is also available on linux so maybe i will do some models :)

We learn blender at school and I like it :D I just don't know if exporting a .blend file to a 3DS max file is possible/easy...

It should be possible to export to FBX format and then use the FBX2EDF converter.
Please report if it works.

I saved as .FBX and tried to export it as a collision but the program always crashes. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

janaucarre

I will install blender this night or next and try to export small things to learn how to do.

Arvoss

Quote from: janaucarre on March 21, 2014, 05:00:31 PM
I will install blender this night or next and try to export small things to learn how to do.

I can export an .fbx file but I can't export it with the fbx2edf converter. And I only have 3DS MAX 2014 but the plugins are for <3DS MAX 2010.
So if you could try to export a simple thing to .fbx and try to convert it and tell me if it works ;) That would be great :D

Obelix90

March 22, 2014, 08:00:35 PM #43 Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:11:08 PM by Obelix90
Hi,

I'm trying to create a new track for GPB with Blender too. My problem is also the converting with the fbx2edf tool. When I'm trying to convert it, it crashes.
I named the track object TRKASPH and don't have another object in the scene. I'm not sure about the options when exporting the fbx file in Blender. I will attach a picture of the menu.
Did anyone do this before?

http://imageshack.com/a/img534/3788/so9v.jpg

PiBoSo

Quote from: Arvoss on March 21, 2014, 02:54:15 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on March 19, 2014, 05:39:14 PM
Quote from: Arvoss on March 18, 2014, 08:20:36 PM
Quote from: Alby46 on March 18, 2014, 08:11:14 PM
is blender working good? it is also available on linux so maybe i will do some models :)

We learn blender at school and I like it :D I just don't know if exporting a .blend file to a 3DS max file is possible/easy...

It should be possible to export to FBX format and then use the FBX2EDF converter.
Please report if it works.

I saved as .FBX and tried to export it as a collision but the program always crashes. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Could you please upload the FBX file for debugging?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".