• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:02:50 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Groove file

Started by PeterV, March 30, 2014, 01:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterV

March 30, 2014, 01:27:31 PM Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:27:29 PM by PeterV
I have been hosting through dibu's server several race events. We normally use the standard bikes being Murasama and Varese.
These events have been always without a  generated groove file and where basicly very stable for most.

Now im trying to do some Multi bike mod racing in the 1000cc class, and with a generated groove file. As you may have read, that Brno GP race was a complete disaster.
Almost everyone had core.exe at some point, it was very bad. So suspicion went too the Multi bike mod and track.
I discarded the Mutli bike mod at fault cause you would have had data  mismatches with none correct files, the track has always been good before so why not now.

We changed the track to Silverstone with a generated groove file still using the Multi bike mod, same problems core.exe for most who tried it out.
Then i decided to get rid off the generated groove file, and what do we see? no more core.exe now for at least two days.
this is with diffrent 1000cc bikes and with 2 to 5 people at once in a race session.

Thinking about this it might be the groove file at fault.
In the past events when we had trouble it was always or most of the time beginning with the qualifying session, and if you think about it
around that time (30 min into the event) a good groove file will have started to build up. (12 riders times say 10 laps each is 120 laps of groove buildup.
This would also explain the fact that with up to six people we had the least trouble on servers, 6 riders times say 10 laps is 60 laps of groove buildup.

We will have a test race with more riders on Monday evening, i will post the outcome of the behavior in here.

Maybe a good idea to have a look at it Piboso? I dont know if its really the problem, but these are our findings so far.

Silverstone TEST 1
11 lap race @ silverstone, 30 min practice, 15 min Qual .
9 riders, 6 different bikes. (Multibike Mod 1000cc 1.5.5)

No Groove file, With Dynamic Surface.

Result:
- only 2 core.exe during whole event (cores happened in practice).
- 1 rider with session lag, the session lag may have caused havoc with server.
- results all messed up, laps not accounted for. (might be due to track having cutting check lines to close to the tracksurface?)

Silverstone TEST 2
11 lap race @ silverstone, 30 min practice, 15 min Qual .
8 riders, 4 different bikes. (Multibike Mod 1000cc 1.6.0)

No Groove file, No Dynamic Surface.

Result:
- No core.exe.
- No session lag, times not running behind.
- Results seem fine, although Nuovaic is missing 1 lap.
- Lag, was almost not there, 3 riders with 100+ pings (avg. 140/150), they reported no jumping of bikes which they normally have.
- Grip level, felt the same for most compared to Test 1 which was with dynamic surface.

Brno GP TEST 1
11 lap race @ Brno GP, 30 min practice, 15 min Qual .
7 riders, 5 different bikes. (Multibike Mod 1000cc 1.6.5)

No Groove file, With Dynamic Surface.

Result:
- All good no real problems.
- 1 Core.exe

Observation / Remarks:
- When lining up for the start there was a big lagspike of a 2-3 second period, Thought the game crashed, frozen in time.
after this David Boda Core.exe, this a reason for the lagspike?
- All riders pings below 100

Brno GP TEST 2
11 lap race @ Brno GP, 30 min practice, 15 min Qual .
7 riders, 4 different bikes. (Multibike Mod 1000cc 1.6.5)

No Groove file, No Dynamic Surface.

Result:
- 1 core.exe. during Qualifying
- Small session lag for one player, he had most of the time a 100+ ping.
- Grip level, felt the same for most compared to Test 1 which was with dynamic surface.

What i find really interesting is the fact that riders do not seem to feel much difference
between a track with Dynamic surface or one without Dynamic surface.
You would think there would be a (noticeable) difference.

This concludes my testing period for the groove file.
A thank you to all who helped out with the testing, you can all buy yourself a beer  ;D

We can say that without a generated groove file (made in a test session) the servers are more stable.
and give almost no core.exe during the events.

Stout Johnson

Good thing to report your observations here Peter! I also very much suspect the groove file to be a disturbing factor in terms of core.exe's - I remember our legendary Varese SRC500 Championship when we also had many more core's when we used a groove file....

Would be a good thing for Piboso to use this information for further review and testing...
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

PiBoSo

Could someone try to do a race on a track with no dynamic surface at all?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Klax75

March 31, 2014, 01:04:59 AM #3 Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:06:56 AM by Klax75
I'm not sure if it is the groove file. I am only saying this because the last Rookies Cup Race we had on Enna we had a groove file and there was 13-14 riders on track. The only thing was we were all using the same bike the 125rr.

Think we should test Multi-Bike MOD with groove, and without groove. Then same track with Default Bike with groove and without groove.

PeterV

Quote from: PiBoSo on March 30, 2014, 10:22:54 PM

And how would we do that Piboso? We where planning of not using a groove file tonight.
So track surface is clean when we start,. Or do you mean go straight into the race, no practice or qualify beforehand?

PiBoSo

Quote from: PeterV on March 31, 2014, 03:12:56 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on March 30, 2014, 10:22:54 PM

And how would we do that Piboso? We where planning of not using a groove file tonight.
So track surface is clean when we start,. Or do you mean go straight into the race, no practice or qualify beforehand?

Exporting the TRP, merging the centerline and save it without surface generation.

PeterV

Quote from: PiBoSo on March 31, 2014, 04:54:03 PM

Exporting the TRP, merging the centerline and save it without surface generation.

We would love to try that, might not be tonight but we will test that for you.

janaucarre

So i can upload my tracks with no generated surface, if you want?

PeterV

Quote from: janaucarre on March 31, 2014, 06:23:54 PM
So i can upload my tracks with no generated surface, if you want?

If you would that would be nice.

PeterV

April 08, 2014, 05:10:35 PM #9 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:14:56 PM by PeterV
1st Post updated
  • Silverstone Test 2 results added.

Will do some testing on Brno gp track as well to see if it makes a difference there.

PiBoSo

Quote from: PeterV on April 08, 2014, 05:10:35 PM
1st Post updated
  • Silverstone Test 2 results added.

Will do some testing on Brno gp track as well to see if it makes a difference there.

Thank you.

PeterV

Hawk

Your doing a superb investigative job here Peter..... Nice work mate! ;D 8)

PeterV

1st Post updated
  • Brno GP Test 2 results added.

This closes the test sessions concerning groove file behaviour.
All participants a big thank you for helping out.