• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:28:29 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

MotoGP14

Started by HornetMaX, May 24, 2014, 01:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

girlracerTracey

May 25, 2014, 08:03:29 PM #30 Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:10:01 PM by girlracerTracey
Quote from: iVolution on May 25, 2014, 06:16:14 PM

I think they started from scratch with "superbike riding challenge" which had the worst handling period. From then on the physics engine kept getting tweaked with each iteration but the feeling as what I describe as "riding on rails" never went away. All the more recent SBK/motogp games still feel that way as with real movement in the bike (shake/slide) being pre animated and doing nothing but moving the bike around its centre axle. The wrs games of milestone do the same where turning the car is not initiated by the front wheels but by the whole car turning around on a centre pivot. Its like sticking a toothpick in the middle of a hamburger and spinning it around it. SBK 2001 did not have this problem.

"Its like sticking a toothpick in the middle of a hamburger and spinning it around it. SBK 2001 did not have this problem."

I have dared to describe that effect on an xbox motogp13 forum. I used a lot of words to describe the same thing. Your one sentence sums up the effect perfectly. My description did not go down too well..
In truth I hate this effect. It is so unrealistic it's painful!  ;D

I think you may be right about the Milestone physics engine changing with Superbikes Riding challenge onwards..it was a sad departure from what went before.

By comparison to the "revolving hamburger" effect gp500 skates across the track. So does gpbikes. So too I think does SBK2000/SBK2001 but to a slightly lesser degree..

To describe the essential difference I perceive between gp500 and SBK2000/20001 I would say that gp500 is all about tyre wear and tyre grip. The rear wheel steering ability that I enjoy so much with gp500 is I think a product of this aspect of the physics. As is the ability to carefully push the front end into bends on the brakes. gp500 does these two things very, very well. gp500's weakness is that it has fairly rudimentary physics in terms of suspension movement and reactions to suspension movement. gp500 does have this aspect but it is not as advanced as the suspension physics in SBK2000/2001. Nowhere near if I am honest.

SBK2000/20001's strength is that it has for its day quite advanced suspension physics. By contrast, however, the tyre grip and wear dynamics are not as advanced in my personal opinion as those seen in gp500.

I personally think that this is the essential difference between the two games. Also the graphics in SBK2000/20001 are more advanced than those seen in gp500. In truth I think gp500 was a bit of a disappointment in this respect right from the start. For that reason I think gp500 was an enthusiasts' game for those who were more interested in the quality of the physics engine and who were not too worried about the appearance of the graphics. Although I have to say I really enjoy the "static" onboard camera view on gp500. Maybe that's just me though..

iVolution, I like both the games. In fact I still play SBK2000/2001 now and again. I have memories of power-sliding in the game also on fast sweepers and on the limit. Which is a great memory.

We all have our favourites however and it is interesting and fun to disagree now and again.  ;)  But this one I think just boils down to personal preference.

The great thing with gpbikes is that you have incredibly advanced suspension dynamics coupled with brilliantly executed tyre grip dynamics. That's why gpbikes is such a killer simulation without any rival! This is why I am, even as a newbie, so excited by gpbikes and its future development potential. When finished this is going to be quite some "simulation"! It's quite some simulation now in truth!

grT  ;)

iVolution

well said. I got nothing more to add  ;D

"the revolving hamburger effect", this is what it shall be known as in the future  8)

BeukeR

Hamburger?? where?

Warlock

Quote from: iVolution on May 25, 2014, 08:43:17 PM
"the revolving hamburger effect", this is what it shall be known as in the future  8)

lol  ;D

Ok spinning hamburger, i will remember this  ;D

iVolution

Quote from: BeukeR on May 25, 2014, 08:47:53 PM
Hamburger?? where?
It is clear you don't understand how it works.

Picture to illustrate:

RiccoChicco

After JamoZ, iVolution seems ton confirm my feeling : RTH are kings for animated gifs  ;D

JamoZ

girlracerTracey

Quote from: iVolution on May 25, 2014, 08:59:27 PM
Quote from: BeukeR on May 25, 2014, 08:47:53 PM
Hamburger?? where?
It is clear you don't understand how it works.

Picture to illustrate:

LOL! I think this is gonna stick!  ;D

Klax75

I want a cheese burger now...

SwarleyRuiz

I use the google translator

Youtube: SwarleyRuiz Video of Games Racing.

iVolution

Its funny how they let people record those videos who only seem to use the arrow keys or are unable to smoothly control a stick on a gamepad. Doesn't make the game look any better when the rider has readjust his lean angle 5 times when turning.

girlracerTracey

May 26, 2014, 11:48:28 AM #41 Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:57:04 AM by girlracerTracey
What happened was that Milestone, whilst completely ignoring the gaming community's continued pleas for information, took motogp14 on a Europe-wide "developers" and press tour. The videos that have been "released" and posted on YouTube were actually from a German games industry journalist present at one of these events. The guy normally plays car sim.s. Frankly he is useless at motogp14 and is probably one of the worst people to play test motogp14 in an "official" video release. He is very slow, very uncoordinated and is making loads & loads of mistakes in his riding..awful.

This German journalist did 5 videos I think which he captured "live" at the promotional event concerned in Germany. This is all that the motogp gaming community has to go on. A seemingly drunk inexperienced German playing on the game after a long lunch.. ::)

This is how contemptuous of the fan base Milestone are. There is a facebook page "motogp14 the videogame" on which fans post questions, requests and suggestions to the Milestone Development team. Milestone never reply to any questions, very rarely provide any information and generally just ignore everything that the fans post there. And that is no exaggeration! We compiled a long list of suggestions and requirements to improve the game from motogp13 to motogp14 which we submitted to Milestone. Milestone barely acknowledged this and we have heard absolutely nothing since. No feedback or communication from them whatsoever. Nothing.

The video review above was produced by a young pc gamer that I know who took it upon himself to try to review these awful videos that have been unofficially released from the promotional tour. Featuring our drunken German friend..the above video is a montage of the 5 videos released. To be honest I feel really sorry for the extended motogp gaming community. This is a perfect example of the contempt with which thy have been treated by Milestone over the last 12 months. Huge enthusiasm on the part of the gamers, loads & loads of communication about their game from the gaming community to Milestone. In essence zero response from Milestone..

So this is why I am personally so happy to now be with you guys in the gpbikes community. You have a very skilled development team who communicate with the gpbikes community. Rather than ignore them..which is cool!  :)

One thing I would say is that I would never denigrate anyone who wishes to play motogp13 or motogp14. It's an advanced arcade game and if you treat it as such it can be great fun to play. It also lends itself really well to online league races and championships. I should know because I have just finished organising and competing in four of these championships. But it remains an arcade game. It's horses for courses I guess at the end of the day..

But having said all that I think Milestone's attitude towards its customers and to the gaming community is absolutely atrocious.  Be warned if you plan to play on motogp14! 

Revolving hamburgers indeed!  ;D

grT

SwarleyRuiz

HornetMaX

Quote from: girlracerTracey on May 26, 2014, 11:48:28 AM
So this is why I am personally so happy to now be with you guys in the gpbikes community. You have a very skilled development team who communicate with the gpbikes community. Rather than ignore them..which is cool!  :)
Very skilled, yes.

Communicate with the community ... hmm ... let's say you'll see by yourself how it works here.

MaX.

SwarleyRuiz