• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

More Motion Motivation

Started by Slider46, January 06, 2022, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slider46

Hi all,

First off, ive always kept away from bike games as they never really worked for me so ive been sim driving for years instead. Hats off to Piboso for making something that actually works well and has got me hooked. Good work man 8)

Ive had a wish for a decent bike rig and been thnking about it for a long time with many ideas, most of which wont work. But having lurked around here, xsim and a few other places, and seen what other folks have managed and what software is about..... Its time to build.

This is what i had in my head for a long while before i even saw it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qyqn9ZO980

I also have an old dead 96 fireblade. She is in a sorry old state and after a good look over her, she is never going to get back to the road so i plan to use the frame and headstock/bars as the basis.

I plan on a box section "foot" to start with. That way i'll have some actual bike controls in the right place for those panic moments. The old spare logitech ffb wheel and pedals that im using are a million times better than a pad but its still like driving a bike shaped car  :)
I'll hack the wheel so it attaches to the shortened forks and see where that goes. Having read Chris and DD's posts, i think that will do to start.
The throttle will go on a pot from the pedals.
Gears i'll hack to the wheel buttons.
Front and rear brakes will be on load sensors inside proper hydrualic calipers (all be it cheap pit bike stuff.. gotta luv the 'bay)

Im knocking up the foot at work and it should pivot through the swing arm spindle. Therefore the first motion will be pitch. Once thats working i'll be full of knowledge to make a new base for roll. I know its alot of weight to shift but they managed it in the vid' above so im sure i can engineer sonething. It might not be pretty, but it'll be something ;D
Im sure you have all seen this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEoSGu1XaNg&list=RDCMUC7q1D1oOjzrk7yqVi8nHkcQ&start_radio=1&rv=aEoSGu1XaNg&t=152
Im sure its not hydraulic unless anyone knows different? I know its helped with springs but its still alot more weight than im gonna try and move.

Whilst designing the roll, im also thinking i might as well design to add some yaw in there for abit of traction loss. All that leaves is abit of fornt to back heave, lol

How hard can it possibly be ????   ;D

I'll keep ya posted as and when stuff happens.

Cheers,
Slider.

Chris_Beeves

Hey man, sounds like an awesome project!

The Logitech is good to start with, especially with all the buttons and potentiometers it comes with!

Looking forward to seeing the future of this!
I had to try..

Slider46

Cheers Chris. I dont think it will be a quick process, lol.
The frame is stripped and ive welded the dent up in the l/H spa where the bar has hit it (not my doing).
Im going to get it sprayed with Cerekote i think to get it all uniform again but i have to finish the foot first. Unfortunately i dont get alot of time to do stuff at work so as soon as its mounted and clean i can bring it home and fiddle in the evenings.

So what are people thoughts on UDP? is it really that unreliable for this sort of thing or is just 'ok'?  I ask as i can get udp data but im struggling with the other types.

You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.

Chris_Beeves

These things take time. It's part of the fun!

Model looks nice! (I'd brace the upside down "L" but I guess it's just the rough concept bottom frame")

UDP is just fine. Most telemetry isn't faster than 60Hz anyway (I think). That leaves lots of headroom even if losing packets.
I had to try..

poumpouny

I don't think making each axe one by one is a good idea, i mean it will be more simple and more reliable to first make the bike mounted on a ball joint rather than a single axe . All the DOF will just after depend on number of motor 'you'll be using !

Chris_Beeves

Yeah, putting a UV joint under where the footpegs are probably makes it easier to expand. Heave will be a big step though if you bolt the chassis to the ground.
I had to try..

Slider46

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on January 07, 2022, 06:01:21 AMThese things take time. It's part of the fun!

Model looks nice! (I'd brace the upside down "L" but I guess it's just the rough concept bottom frame")

UDP is just fine. Most telemetry isn't faster than 60Hz anyway (I think). That leaves lots of headroom even if losing packets.

Cheers  Chriss Yep, just a rough sketch for now. Im happy to hear UDP is good to go as i didnt really want to learn the whole VS thing if i didnt have too :)

Quote from: poumpouny on January 07, 2022, 06:38:30 AMI don't think making each axe one by one is a good idea, i mean it will be more simple and more reliable to first make the bike mounted on a ball joint rather than a single axe . All the DOF will just after depend on number of motor 'you'll be using !

Hi Poumpouny, thanks for the input.  My train of thought is that the pitch rotates from the CoG somewhere around the riders seat, no matter what angle the bike leans at. I'm happy to have it lower at the swingarm pivot for ease of making the rotating joint. I cant see much difference as we are not going down the road.

The roll rotates around the tyre contact points so a different axis but still in a fixed way as in the first video i posted, regardless of what pitch you have.  I think a UJ would have the effect of lifting the wheels off the ground (if it had any) and would feel different.

That said, i can get the frame mounted and brace it to a fixed level position so i can sort the controls and have something i can use 'on track'.
From there i can build the pitch control/ motor etc and learn what i need to know and still keep riding.
Then, the upright from the cross frame base will be changed to a rotating roll point once ive got a way of powering it and moving all that weight.

Im abit busy this weekend but i'll try and do a sketch that might make sense of my poor descriptions, lol.

Slider46

I had a spare ten mins after work  so i knocked up the 'foot'. Its only tacked together to mock up the other bits for size, seat height etc. and it seems about right.
The pillow bearings on the swing arm bolt fit lovely and it will pitch alot of degrees without hitting the original frame crossbeams. Annnd, its there is zero play in it too  :D
Ive tacked in a temp' brace to hold it at the right pitch for now untill i get to the motion stage.
I picked up some R6 race fairings from a top bloke on ebay who sold me the whole lot, screen and all for a very reasonable price... Cheers Piers. 8) Its gonna need a little trimming here and there to fit the blade frame but should look the part more than the bloaty Blade stuff.
With abit of luck i can get the rear subframe knocked up tomorow and have a sit on her, lol

Chris_Beeves

I had to try..

Slider46

Cheers Chris,

Sooooo, looking at the bit of Processing UDP code posted by maggikk22, i added what i think is yaw. This seems relevant to the circuit rather than the bike on its own, as if yaw 0 points north for example. Is this correct or have i just picked the wrong piece of data?

I guess what im saying is that i was expecting the bike yaw to be 0 when on its chosen line and then change +/-  if it got out of shape of its trajectory if you lost the front or rear. I.e, traction loss.
Or, do ihave to calculate traction loss from sudden jumps in yaw data?

Slider.

Chris_Beeves

January 11, 2022, 08:51:30 PM #10 Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:36:18 PM by Chris_Beeves
Yeah, yaw is global heading. You'd need to calculate. Wouldn't use only yaw for traction loss though.

Edit: not global heading, bike heading in the global axis system.. :)
The difference between yaw and direction could be a good start maybe?
I had to try..

Slider46

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on January 11, 2022, 08:51:30 PMYeah, yaw is global heading. You'd need to calculate. Wouldn't use only yaw for traction loss though.

Edit: not global heading, bike heading in the global axis system.. :)
The difference between yaw and direction could be a good start maybe?

Ok Matey, cheers for the confirmation that im looking at the right bit of data. I dont need it for a long while yet but i was just trying to understand it all. I saw Max's HUD has a "out of line " orange needle so guessed it was a number somewhere. No worries, i'll sort it later :)
If still trying to understand what all 218 data entries do per number from running Maggik's code, lol.

Slider.

Chris_Beeves

https://www.gp-bikes.com/downloads/gpb_example.c

Udp follows the same structure as the other plugins. Maybe that can help figuring it out?
I had to try..

Slider46

Cheers Chris, i did have that info but was just being abit lazy to count it all out, lol.

Hi all, ive been mucking about with the R6 tank and seat, trying to get it to fit the blade frame somewhere near nice. Ive got a little fibreglassing to do there so held up a little.

In the meantime i found this hoverboard locally :) Its supposed to be an all terrain 10 inch wheel jobby, or, more importantly, 350w motors.
Ive also ordered a BTS7960B 43A driver in the hope it is big enough unless someone here knows different.

Now i need an encoder but how big? is a 600p/r enough for the FFb or do i need more res'? I appreciate more is always better but im starting on a budget here so any advice would be cool  8)
Cheers

h106frp

'petrolscooter' on ebay are good for cheap chinese electric scooter motors and asscociated parts, based in Coventry UK