• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

More Motion Motivation

Started by Slider46, January 06, 2022, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris_Beeves

Quote from: Slider46 on January 17, 2022, 06:25:42 PMIn the meantime i found this hoverboard locally :) Its supposed to be an all terrain 10 inch wheel jobby, or, more importantly, 350w motors.
Ive also ordered a BTS7960B 43A driver in the hope it is big enough unless someone here knows different.

Now i need an encoder but how big? is a 600p/r enough for the FFb or do i need more res'? I appreciate more is always better but im starting on a budget here so any advice would be cool  8)
Cheers

The hoverboard motors are excellent, but you will need a better motor driver. The BTS is a H-bridge, you will need a BLDC driver with encoder support. Something like the VESC or similar.
600p/r is on the low side, but you can always use a gear ratio. I use my 2000p/r encoders 1:2 so I get 4000p/r or 16000c/r.
I had to try..

Slider46

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on January 17, 2022, 08:28:07 PMThe hoverboard motors are excellent, but you will need a better motor driver. The BTS is a H-bridge, you will need a BLDC driver with encoder support. Something like the VESC or similar.
600p/r is on the low side, but you can always use a gear ratio. I use my 2000p/r encoders 1:2 so I get 4000p/r or 16000c/r

Righto, i'll look into it, Cheers Chris.

And H', i think my brakes came from the petrolscooter dudes. Now my new chip shop has opened and the prices they charge, my brakes were almost literally 'as cheap as chips'.  ;D  ;D   ;D

Slider46

Where does the time go? So, ive been busy with life so i havnt gotten too far yet.

What has been done is the Blade frame has had its trick cerekote coating. Its way over the top but was abit of a test for both me and my sprayer mate. Its basically a very thin coating that is supposed to be harder than anodising and comes in many colours. Some variants can even coat directly on to exhausts that actually glow white hot and still the coating looks good on cooling. Its awsome gear.
https://www.cerakote.com/shop    if anyone is interested.

It turns out my Blade footrest hangers were just some bits of ali' that the previous owner had thrown on so i've drilled a few 'go faster' holes and cleaned them up before coating. I also knocked up a brake and gear lever from some scrap. Ebay brakes and footpegs have finished that area now they are mounted.

After new headstock bearings, the nicely coated bars, clamps and short fork legs are on along with a homemade fork clamp bracket to attach the ffb.
The front brakes are on and after abit of fiddling with rubber density's the hydraulic brakes feel great and the load sensors work fine on the Ardiuno.

I finally got the tank to fit somewhere near and filled both the tank and the tail piece. No paint yet but no rush. I did  try an expensive carbon wrap on the tank but its just abit too curvey for my skills so i gave up, lol. It did look trick where it was on propery though.

The hoverboard motor for the ffb is mounted in the frame ..... and then it got tricky , lol  :(
I have had the motor turning and changing direction with a pot' and a button. Ive still had no joy getting the Arduino to move it and it seems ive got the crapiest of crappy bldc driver boards.....  and im hoping this is where Chris jumps in and saves me buying more things that wont work,  :)

Ive read so much, got busy elsewhere, read more and basically gotten totaly lost with all the combinations of driver boards, mcu's and software.
Chris, could you possibly tell me your combination that works please?. Or im about to go back to normal motors, lol.

Cheers,
S.

pikey

excellent project keep us all posted on how its going

Chris_Beeves

I'm currently trying to figure that out myself. I'm using b-g432-esc1 units from stm. They work great, but I have no control of the firmware for them, so encoder and voltage is set..

Just bought a frsky odesc that broke unpacking it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Tried with a Vesc 4.12 too but couldn't get the encoder working on it, I don't suggest using that.

I am very much in the process of getting it running in a better way so I'll keep you posted.
Cheap drivers won't work..
I had to try..

Slider46

Quote from: pikey on April 14, 2022, 01:20:30 PMexcellent project keep us all posted on how its going

Cheers pikey. It might take a while as ive got alot of life going on, including moving house soon  ::)  but i'll update when theres progress.

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on April 14, 2022, 04:22:58 PMI'm currently trying to figure that out myself. I'm using b-g432-esc1 units from stm. They work great, but I have no control of the firmware for them, so encoder and voltage is set..

Just bought a frsky odesc that broke unpacking it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Tried with a Vesc 4.12 too but couldn't get the encoder working on it, I don't suggest using that.

I am very much in the process of getting it running in a better way so I'll keep you posted.
Cheap drivers won't work..

Chris, i thought you were happy with your M302? Has it all gone wrong? :(

Cheers,
S.

Chris_Beeves

I am super happy with it! But building an M303 for the motion rig and want to explore other motor drivers to get more control of parameters. As it is now, if the new motor doesn't have the exact same characteristics it will be a little less precise.
I had to try..

Slider46

Hi Folks, Im back.  Ive been busy with life and had no time for this stuff, much to my annoyance everytime i see the new shoulder cam footage on Motogp :) On the bright side, ive been to watch the GP's at Assen,Sachsenring and Silverstone, yay. (it wasnt yay with the hangovers though, lol)

So Chris, did you try any other brushless motor drivers yet? anything to recomend as ive got to get this project moving.  Loving your rig too, its coming along nicely dude. :)

S.

Chris_Beeves

Hey man, we missed you! :)

Yeah, I bought an ODrive single channel chinese clone and flashed it with a firmware a guy at xsimulator.net has made.
It is pretty close to perfect. Hasn't failed once and is silent and strong. The only downside is that the guy has a license function in it, so in order for my encoders to work he has to send me one for each unit i make. So far I just made the handlebars and my car sim wheelbase, but still it's less than ideal to have to depend on someone.

Thanks! I'm really enjoying testing stuff.. 
I had to try..

Slider46

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on October 18, 2022, 08:13:26 PMHey man, we missed you! :)

Yeah, I bought an ODrive single channel chinese clone and flashed it with a firmware a guy at xsimulator.net has made.
It is pretty close to perfect. Hasn't failed once and is silent and strong. The only downside is that the guy has a license function in it, so in order for my encoders to work he has to send me one for each unit i make. So far I just made the handlebars and my car sim wheelbase, but still it's less than ideal to have to depend on someone.

Thanks! I'm really enjoying testing stuff.. 
Cheers Chris, i'll get one ordered.  :D

Chris_Beeves

Hey man!
How are things going with this?
I had to try..