• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:03 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

MaxTM telemetry - put your comments here.

Started by HornetMaX, May 28, 2014, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C21

Quote* Multiple curve on graph : allow to superpose 2 or more curves (example : RPM and speed on the same graph)
QuoteI want plural line in one window.

That can eventually be done, but it complicates the interface a bit. What is the advantage compared to having two separate graphs vertically aligned ?

To answer your question.
It is needed for better visualisation.
I don´t know if you ever worked with an DataAquisition system but on every software it is possible to draw different lines into the same graph. (I worked with a lot of these systems and normally only one or two Graph windows are used.
You never use 4 graph tables on motorbikes , on cars it is different.
In one view it is easier and better to see what happens on that specific point.
You hardly can´t get it looking onto 4 different graphs.
Sorry Max, i can´t explain it better but all i can say: It´s a must to have and i would very much appriciate if you could inmplenet this feature.

e.g.
you normally use on one graph rpm, vehicle speed, gear and throttle. On the other front and rear suspension incl. front and rear brake.
This is not possible with your TM alhough i have 4 graphs.
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

HornetMaX

Can see that, but how do you compare laps on a graph with 4 lines ?

C21

In the same way.
I don´t say that DataAquistion determination is easy.
You normally look at specific data, you did not compare two laps with 4-8 lines (but you can).
First off all DA (data Aquisition) is used for suspension, steering and gearing adjustments.
If this one is fixed you look at different laps at your braking and acceleration points.
and so on...
in these cases only 4 lines of 2 different laps are displayed.

Right now it is only possible to draw one line on each graph.

Your tool is good but can be better  ;D

HornetMaX

Quote from: C21 on November 06, 2015, 09:31:54 AM
Right now it is only possible to draw one line on each graph.
Not really true: you can plot multiple line on a graph, but they will be about the same measure (e.g. speed or RPM) albeit for multiple laps.
Or deltas between one reference lap and the other selected laps: I'm not sure many have realized about that.

Quote from: C21 on November 06, 2015, 09:31:54 AM
Your tool is good but can be better  ;D
But this is true, of course :)

C21

QuoteRight now it is only possible to draw one line on each graph.

Not really true: you can plot multiple line on a graph, but they will be about the same measure (e.g. speed or RPM) albeit for multiple laps.
Or deltas between one reference lap and the other selected laps: I'm not sure many have realized about that.

Correct, i´m aware of that BUT you are not able to draw more then one input line (e.g. rpm and speed) in one graph. That´s what i mean.

[ but they will be about the same measure (e.g. speed or RPM) albeit for multiple laps.]
Your focus is on comparing laps to each other. In this case your choice (drawing only one input line for each lap) makes sense.
my focus is on suspension setting and bike geometry. In this case more lines for only one lap on the same graph are used.

HornetMaX

It's understood. Assuming I'll give it a try, the hard part will be how to allow the two to co-exist.

HornetMaX

@C21 (but others can chime in): let's say I plot RPMs, speed and gear on the same graph.

• What do you want to see as scale on the left axis ?
  • Do you want the 3 lines to occupy exactly the same rectangular space or do you want them to be slightly offset vertically (to avoid them overlapping too much) ?
  • If offset, do you need a left axis 9with the scale) for each line ?
  • If I had to put a limit to the number of lines that can go on the same graph, what would be reasonable ?

Just trying to figure out if it's worth to spend time on that ...

Vini

November 10, 2015, 11:30:37 PM #37 Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:37:54 PM by vin97
looking forward to the new release!

haven't really had a look at it yet but it looks very interesting.
are things like g-forces included?

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on November 10, 2015, 11:30:37 PM
looking forward to the new release!
No ETA yet. I'm pondering losing the compatibility with telemetry files from old betas and simplify the whole clusterfuck of code that keeps them alive.

Question to users: is it a big deal to lose compatibility with old telemetry files ? I'd say no, but ...

Quote from: vin97 on November 10, 2015, 11:30:37 PM
haven't really had a look at it yet but it looks very interesting.
are things like g-forces included?
Uh, they have been there since the 1st release (back in beg 2014) :)

Vini

even tough i haven't used your plugin yet, i'd say having the possibilty of comparing the bike behaviour in the different betas is a helpful feature.
maybe create a second viewer-exe that's compatible with the old files and a nicely coded one for the new ones?

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on November 11, 2015, 12:03:57 AM
even tough i haven't used your plugin yet, i'd say having the possibilty of comparing the bike behaviour in the different betas is a helpful feature.
maybe create a second viewer-exe that's compatible with the old files and a nicely coded one for the new ones?

I think if it was just a case of capability with older beta usage Max would scrap them anyway. I think Max is probably talking about old telemetry data from old betas that users might have saved and want to view again as a reference? But I could well be wrong.  :)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on November 11, 2015, 12:03:57 AM
Oh that's easy, i't enough to run the old version of the viewer and plugin with the appropriate version of GPB.
What neeeds some code is to have 2 telemetry flies, one from gpb beta6 and one from beta7, shown in the same viewer.
Probably I should just have this for GPB v1 and v2 ... betas are ... betas :)

[Hawk: right]

Vini

yeah, that's what i meant.

viewing old files in the new program.

of course you're right, the suggestion for a new, alternative viewer compatible with the old files makes no sense.

C21

QuoteQuestion to users: is it a big deal to lose compatibility with old telemetry files ? I'd say no, but ...
NO.

It does not make sense to compare between Beta´s because we do not know in detail what has been changed in the algorythmics of the physics.
I would never compare laps/runs between different beta´s.
Jm2ct

HornetMaX

Well, in principle it makes sense, exactly to try to figure out physics stuff that is "hidden" inside (e.g. beta6 vs beta7 slow speed corners).
But OK, I'll ditch support for older betas data format. I'll also try to make the telemtry file format independent of GPB own internal pluging interface data format, so that the the latter changes I'll have less impact.

C21, have a look at my questions on "multiple lines on a graph:
Quote from: HornetMaX on November 10, 2015, 11:12:25 PM
@C21 (but others can chime in): let's say I plot RPMs, speed and gear on the same graph.

• What do you want to see as scale on the left axis ?
  • Do you want the 3 lines to occupy exactly the same rectangular space or do you want them to be slightly offset vertically (to avoid them overlapping too much) ?
  • If offset, do you need a left axis 9with the scale) for each line ?
  • If I had to put a limit to the number of lines that can go on the same graph, what would be reasonable ?

Just trying to figure out if it's worth to spend time on that ...