• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:23:53 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

time for a real moto controller(diy)

Started by tseklias, June 12, 2014, 08:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furious

I don't want to sound destructive, but... can you imagine how much torque you need to twist a rider and hold in that position? Maybe you don't know but that's over 50 Nm. NONE of the steering wheels on the market ( except bodnar's that is just a industry servo) is capable of something like that.
But any way. I wish you good luck :)

tseklias

Quote from: Furious on December 16, 2014, 12:24:11 AM
I don't want to sound destructive, but... can you imagine how much torque you need to twist a rider and hold in that position? Maybe you don't know but that's over 50 Nm. NONE of the steering wheels on the market ( except bodnar's that is just a industry servo) is capable of something like that.
But any way. I wish you good luck :)

this fact is being discussed take some time to read the topic please... it took me all day today to finish my drawings (and if you ever worked on a vector editor you know how much of a headache is to use) wouldn't it be equal from your side to take some time to read?

anyway you'll actually should be able to swing on it even if no force is applied on it(so the wheel will actually just have to move a ''swinging chair''). there are many very easy ways to manage that to the rider using the controller at the exact time.

tseklias

December 16, 2014, 02:11:37 AM #47 Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:22:39 AM by tseklias
ok here's a better calibrated centerline of balance of the whole controller according to the cog of the rider, for the ones asking for it.

the line on one of the pictures is the centerline of ''twist''.

HornetMaX

Hi tseklias,

to be honest, just like Furious,  I'm very skeptical about the whole thing working.

Do you realize you'll need to code some not-so-trivial software to drive the g25 (from the GPB lean output) ?

MaX.

h106frp

It will be easier in the long run to avoid the commercial unit software interface, you could just talk to the G25 motor controller directly but then you are better of using a more powerful driver anyway, the G25 and G27 seem prone to overheating under normal loads from what i have read. Lots of documented mods with circuit schematics on the web for improving cooling and power outputs of these units.

The windows FF USB interface is poorly documented and not really what we require for a full bike simulator anyway, it would just mean your device would be specific to GPB but more capable and expandable than generic FF devices.

Using a microcontroller you can output PWM signals representing the values from the GPB telemetry, these are then used to drive your positional servos. Be prepared for a bit of a shock at the cost of industrial servo units, the cheaper option is to see what the hobby robot builders offer in kit form.

tseklias

December 16, 2014, 12:44:53 PM #50 Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:53:33 PM by tseklias
i don't know what to use later nor motors neither the software. what i'm after at this point is to make it geometrically functionable.

this is an open project for everyone to evolve and not a professional try to make money. so as far as i'm complete with the build/construction i may ask for help here or elsewhere, but as for now i can't request anything cause i'm not ready.

i have many things in mind that must be also somehow be changed in gpb also to function right eg i want to put two buttons on each feetbar and in game the exact leg will be detached like you do. but all these are long term plans and without help it will only lead to a dead-end, that's why this project is free and pdfs and videos will come later to help eveyone build their own. what i'm after is to try and gather some views together with a first successful try from the build either mine or someone elses, so a large number of people will demand or being after the same things from all sources(software, gpb support, motors, actuators....)

anyone that understands or can imagine how this will function, must admit that it will be easier in the end to make it work if it is right geometrically than it being wrong(misplaced weight).

doubledragoncc

Hi T,

What are you using or going to use for communicating your controllers output to the PC? I know Leo Bodnar's boards and they are the best. I am going to go see him in the New Year as I am too busy setting up the new company at the mo. I will be talking about bike specific control boards so any questions or queries you have send them my way.

If I can help with the electronic side let me know.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

tseklias

Quote from: doubledragoncc on December 16, 2014, 02:37:47 PM
Hi T,

What are you using or going to use for communicating your controllers output to the PC? I know Leo Bodnar's boards and they are the best. I am going to go see him in the New Year as I am too busy setting up the new company at the mo. I will be talking about bike specific control boards so any questions or queries you have send them my way.

If I can help with the electronic side let me know.

DD

yes i have seen the bodnar boards/wires and i'm thinking that i'll might be need some of those. till now all i know is what i want to do and i know that it can be done, but i don't know the way cause i never understood how electrics function so for now i have no questions. my father has knowledge on electronics and he will help me later on so when questions will come up i will inform you, so you help me if you know.

anyway for now i wanna say thank you to all the people trying to help me or just commenting their own thoughts here.

doubledragoncc

I highly recommend the BU0836X from Leo. I left one with Grimm, ask him how it is, he hates electrics but found it real easy.
The BU0836X is pure plug n play USB. No soldering needed, all connections are spring clamp type. It has 8 analog channels for 8 axis with full 4096 bit resolution. It has one 8 way POV Hat switch input and 32 digital inputs!!!. It can receive analog input from potentiometers 5K to 100K, Load cells, Hal censors etc. etc. £49.00 its a steal bro. There is a solder version for less too.

If you need any help just let me know.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on December 18, 2014, 01:35:45 AM
It has 8 analog channels for 8 axis with full 4096 bit resolution.
12 bits, 4096 steps :)

Still, it's more than enough.

MaX.

teeds

Just to throw it into the mix, for 25 notes you can get a very similar board that's well worth considering, the BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller. If you need more than 12 switches you'll need to use a matrix but it's not so hard to do and 12 was plenty for my controller.

doubledragoncc

lol teeds thats what I wrote at the end but did not put the Board number in so thanks.

DD

h106frp

Found this site http://www.xsimulator.net/community/

Builder forum with links to some standard designs and parts for motion simulation, software and controllers for home building. Simplest motor option seems to be car wiper motor and gearbox. Might ease the pain of moving from  the G25 as axis controller. Some good ideas on using 2 motors and a pivot to give pitch and yaw axis control.

doubledragoncc

Great link h106, very interesting and full of links. Just dont everyone rush out and borrow your mums/dads, sister/brother or wives car wiper motors. If there is an increase in wiper motors in your town its due to h106 lol

Thanks buddy. A very merry christmas and happy new year to you all

DD

tseklias

Quote from: doubledragoncc on December 25, 2014, 02:44:44 AM
If there is an increase in wiper motors in your town its due to h106 lol

that comment made my day XD. if anyones interested in car simulations also check my topic on the site h106 mentioned http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/shiftknob-brake-shock.5669/