• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:02:36 AM

Oliver's Mount

Started by Grooveski, February 06, 2015, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Looking good Groovski!  ;D

Hawk.

Grooveski

June 30, 2016, 04:50:08 PM #136 Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:53:29 PM by Grooveski
So much for 30k polys for the fences. 

...and that's in quads.   ::)
Only need a quarter of them in the col model(the faces you'll actually hit) which should help lighten the load a little again.
...but still, 250%+ of target is pretty far off the mark. :-[  Not my best guess ever.

h106frp

From riding a lot of tracks the graphical load seems to be mainly dependent on the total view distance. If this track is quite twisty and the view limited by trees and embankments  you might find you can have a lot more detail without much frame rate hit.

Grooveski

Yeah, hoping that with it all being spread out it'll be fine.
Hide the high poly fences behind a bunch of high poly trees.    ;)

Since dreaming up the target count I've been keeping an eye on track sizes.  I know COTA is a 500k+ model and as it turns out so are plenty of others. 
Spent years poly reducing things and stripping out high poly fences(and BTB's over-the-top tyre walls) to cram tracks into GP500 but in GPB all that clutter is still there and the game seems to run them ok.   :)
Keep meaning to take a spin at Sendai sometime...
...just to see why the model is so big.   ???

Density in the collision model plays a part too though.  I mind someone saying that was likely the problem with Spa.
...which is only a 300k or so model but grinds to a halt worse than plenty of tracks twice it's size.

Track trivia moment - The Jerez model we're running was originally from GP500.   ;D
It's been divided, re-kerbed, re-fenced and re-skinned.  Land, vegetation and other details added but when I converted it back to GP500 a few years ago the road geometry was a perfect match - every third vertex sat exactly on the old model's.

h106frp

I would say go for it and try it with all the detail, can't wait to see a few trees go in :)

At the moment with very modest hardware i can run maxxed out settings and get 80+ fps, dropping to 8x AA its around 140fps with a fancy cockpit model. I know most people report that with a decent card they hit the 200fps limit. I would like to have a track that tempted me to buy an upgrade card  ;D

Just tried Spa to check and probably get 15% frame rate variance around the track - not too bad really.

Grooveski

Solo practice at Spa was fine.  A slight drop as you say.
Online practice chasing a couple of others was all it took to start showing a problem.
With a dozen bikes it was chronic.  ::)  The FPS dropped just after the left hander before the final chicane, got worse through the chicane and stayed that way along the pit straight.

My computer's getting on a bit too but everyone was having the same problem that night.  Someone suggested that the entire model may be on a col layer and it kind of made sense at the time.

Hawk

Quote from: Grooveski on June 30, 2016, 07:58:09 PM
Online practice chasing a couple of others was all it took to start showing a problem.
With a dozen bikes it was chronic.  ::)  The FPS dropped just after the left hander before the final chicane, got worse through the chicane and stayed that way along the pit straight.

My computer's getting on a bit too but everyone was having the same problem that night.  Someone suggested that the entire model may be on a col layer and it kind of made sense at the time.

Hmmm... Strange... the last time I raced online at Spa I didn't have any frame rate problems at all... Ran as smooth as any other track I've tried.  :-\
That's not to say the frame rates don't drop at certain parts of most tracks, but not enough to affect the performance of GPB in my experience.... Not since I upgraded my PC anyway. Lol  ;D

Hawk.

Grooveski

OK, so maybe not everyone had the problem but trust me, I wasn't alone in starting both races with my FPS barely out of single figures.  There was total carnage at turn 1 in both races(and the multiple restarts) and plenty of folk were blaming FPS off the line for it.
Immediately after the race I upgraded from a GTX260 to a GTX750Ti.  That's how bad it was from where I was sitting.   ;)

Hawk

Quote from: Grooveski on June 30, 2016, 08:48:47 PM
OK, so maybe not everyone had the problem but trust me, I wasn't alone in starting both races with my FPS barely out of single figures.  There was total carnage at turn 1 in both races(and the multiple restarts) and plenty of folk were blaming FPS off the line for it.
Immediately after the race I upgraded from a GTX260 to a GTX750Ti.  That's how bad it was from where I was sitting.   ;)

Sounds like you had the same problem I used to have before I upgraded my PC...... I was getting frame rates down into single figures(approx. 7 FPS) on some tracks, but since the upgrade I've had no probs.  :)

How much RAM have you got and what CPU?

Hawk.

Blackheart

Quote from: Grooveski on June 30, 2016, 07:58:09 PM

Each race to Spa has always had this problem.

Grooveski

Quote from: Hawk on June 30, 2016, 09:04:47 PMSounds like you had the same problem I used to have before I upgraded my PC...... I was getting frame rates down into single figures(approx. 7 FPS) on some tracks, but since the upgrade I've had no probs.  :)

Phenom 9500 Quad@2.2GHz
4Gb - It could take twice that but the slots were filled years ago.  ::)
Win7 64

In it's day with the 260 it was the best I could slap together for the money I had but it's day was what...
...nigh on ten years ago?
Doesn't negate the fact that it ran Spa in GP500(not very well it has to be said -was a bit buggy there too).
....and also happily ran Burnout Paradise, Driver San Fransisco, Borderlands 2, COD4 and the likes - wasn't bad - pushed a few a polys in it's time.   :)

h106frp

When you take the plunge you wont believe the difference, i went from a Q6600 to an i5, the addition of a modern motherboard, OS on SSD and a usable 8GB is quite startling.  ;D

Grooveski

June 30, 2016, 10:24:43 PM #147 Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:45:25 PM by Grooveski
My flatmate has something along the lines of a 6-core@3.3GHz.  When the time comes to render out the .map with shadows, specs and norms I'll likely bung max10 and the model onto a stick and take it next door.  :)
...or send it to you. :P

doubledragoncc

I was an absolute AMD fan until I got my first ASUS with an i7, only way to go really.

Motherboards make the big difference too not just a good CPU. ASUS is by far one of the best companies for gaming hardware with the ROG department dedicated to just that.

The new club server and streaming system will be ROG all the way baby lol. Grimm knows how I build systems lol.

DD

GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

Quote from: Grooveski on June 30, 2016, 09:35:48 PM
Quote from: Hawk on June 30, 2016, 09:04:47 PMSounds like you had the same problem I used to have before I upgraded my PC...... I was getting frame rates down into single figures(approx. 7 FPS) on some tracks, but since the upgrade I've had no probs.  :)

Phenom 9500 Quad@2.2GHz
4Gb - It could take twice that but the slots were filled years ago.  ::)
Win7 64

In it's day with the 260 it was the best I could slap together for the money I had but it's day was what...
...nigh on ten years ago?
Doesn't negate the fact that it ran Spa in GP500(not very well it has to be said -was a bit buggy there too).
....and also happily ran Burnout Paradise, Driver San Fransisco, Borderlands 2, COD4 and the likes - wasn't bad - pushed a few a polys in it's time.   :)

Yeah, I agree with some of the other guys here... An updated CPU, Memory and motherboard will make a massive difference to performance. That's what I did and I was amazed at the difference in speed and performance. But like you, I had hung onto a system that was a good ten years old before I decided to upgrade.... I'm not a tech fashionista at all, I only upgrade when I absolutely need to. Lol   ;D

Hawk.