• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:05:58 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Oliver's Mount

Started by Grooveski, February 06, 2015, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiccoChicco

Never used fbx2edf so I'm probably telling something stupid, but your command prompt (the black window) says "Ending Log" which means in the 3ds max exporter that the export has been done.  :)

Blackheart

Perhaps he meant 13 hours in total? In the screenshot is the process end with this tool. (i use it for bikes)

Anyway 13 hours?  :o I have never worked with the tracks, but it seems too long  :P

P.S. I can not wait to try this project

h106frp

The message 'ending log' in the standalone converter does mean it is finished.  At this point you need to hit the quit button to close the app or it just sits waiting for you to start another conversion.

If you open an explorer window you should see you .edf file go from 0 bytes to the finished size during the conversion

Grooveski

It says that but it's still grinding away using the CPU for something.
At the end of the mesh run it should give me a track code.  That hasn't come up yet, the ending log line is the last so far.

Wonder what log it's talking about.  A log would actually be quite nice.  Somewhere to copy/paste the track code from to the .ini instead of having to type it over and double check it.

h106frp

long shot, but are you sure about using '.' (0.1) in the filename, it might be stopping the program from finally writing out the file

RiccoChicco

The track code comes when you export the .trp (collision) file. If you were exporting the .map, which can be very long, you shouldn't get any track code.

Grooveski

Yeah, I am, but the file is there.
...timestamped 20 past midnight, right around when I done the conversion.   ???

Should that line at the top have something in it?  Have I just forgotton to name it or tell it that it's a track or something?  Perhaps the job is done and I'm sitting waiting on a track code that's never coming.   :)

Grooveski

August 31, 2016, 01:36:25 PM #217 Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:39:57 PM by Grooveski
lol, thanks Ricco.   ;)

oops.   :-[

Done a  mesh run for the background.edf.  Forgot to change it when I loaded in the main model.
Chump!

RiccoChicco

Note that the track code is only useful for the release (stats purposes), but it's not necessary to update it each time you want to try your new .trp file while your still working on it.  :)

Just to be clear, what are you exporting? Visual (.map) or collision (.trp) file?

Hawk

Quote from: Grooveski on August 31, 2016, 01:22:05 PM
It says that but it's still grinding away using the CPU for something.
At the end of the mesh run it should give me a track code.  That hasn't come up yet, the ending log line is the last so far.

Wonder what log it's talking about.  A log would actually be quite nice.  Somewhere to copy/paste the track code from to the .ini instead of having to type it over and double check it.

The exporter used to allow you to highlight copy/paste the generated track code directly from the log generated in the app window when exporting a .trp file, but in the last two or three releases that function isn't available anymore. I have asked Piboso if he can restore that function. It sure would make it a lot easier and also stop any errors creeping in by currently having to type the track code in character by individual character. 

Hawk.

RiccoChicco

Grooveski, in your screenshot I can see that "Mesh" is selected. That will generate a .edf file (used for bikes, helmets, etc...) and not a track file  :P

You should use "Map" and "Collision" for track modding.  :)

EDIT : Just saw your edit  ;D ;D ;D

Grooveski

The background.edf should just be a mesh though?   ;)

Good info guys. cheers again.  :)
Right then, best get back to it.
Wonder what it was up to with my processor while I was asleep.  Sure did look busy on the usage chart.   ;D

Hawk

Just to let you know that the FBX2EDF converter does seem to complete the export of the .map and .trp file a lot quicker than the 3dsMax exporter. This is the first thing that struck me when I first tried the FBX2EDF converter for exporting track files. In comparison the 3dsMax exporter which once took 2 hours to export a .map file for me(can't remember which track it was, could've been Silverstone).  :-\

Hawk.

Grooveski

Will bear that in mind.   Mind reading something about having to use the max exporter for models with shaders...
...which is still a few versions away. 

Conversion took seconds.  :)  Am just tweaking the marshal positions, should be rolling in short order.   :D

Grooveski

August 31, 2016, 04:12:02 PM #224 Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:17:40 PM by Grooveski
Spoke way too soon.  This is going backwards.   :o

First it was the wrong size - Max and it's bloody multiple units settings - no big deal - reexported and converted.

Now it's something amiss in TrackED.  The trp is in and the c/l burned, the new marshal positions are copied over from LW to the text file but when I go into either the camera or marshal views there's no track model visible(anywhere - tried looking up, down and all around in a camera test).
Nothing should have moved - the c/l was lined up - ....
???

Edit] aha - I haven't redone the map file yet - that's probably it.
Double Chump!

....and man is it hard not using the esc key - twice already!  >:(

Gonna be a long night.   ::)