• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:05:50 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

GPBB7 | Sound Kneeslider

Started by PeterV, October 28, 2015, 09:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Hmm ... I don't think a variable volume for the kneeslider is a good idea.

Depending on your own style you can put more or less often the knee down, but does different riders produce different volumes when they both put the knee down ?

I haven't tried the thing yet, but if all/most are OK to make it a bit louder that's fine (ultimately, it's a cool feature to hear it).
But a variable volume is not needed IMO. Eventually, riding styles (one implemented) will allow to have riders that put the knee down more or less often.

MaX.

h106frp

The entire sound system is in need of an overhaul, sound positioning and volume levels of effects are all over the place in game.

Napalm Nick

Engine volume slider, not knee slider volume hahaha.

To be able to turn the engine volume down and turn the master volume up (either in-game or on my speakers volume knob - both already there) then the resulting 'effects' volume can be set how you like it.

You can never have enough sliders, knee, volume, elbow........
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on October 30, 2015, 09:20:58 AM
Engine volume slider, not knee slider volume hahaha.
Same thing. If it's a sim, then you can have only one volume slider that controls everything, not one slider for the engine only.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Ohhhh really? I never knew that.  :o. Arcade game win again. :(
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Oh didn't want to sound harsh, sorry. I do agree there're things to fix sound-wise, just not sure that adding sliders/knobs here and there will help too much.

MaX.

CapeDoctor

sorry, MaX, but i simply can't agree with that comment about a sim only having one volume slider.
from my flight sim modding experience, there we had the option to control almost every sound imaginable, either through individual sliders or the ability to adjust the sound for each specific aircraft, machine gun/engine sounds.
it makes no sense that something similar can't be done with a bike sim, which has way less variables than a flight sim with literally hundreds of aircraft, and their assorted engine/gun sounds.
and there are several car sims which allow for this as well, so to say it can't be done for GPB really makes no sense to me at all.... ???

Napalm Nick

No worries Max you didn't!

I expect its not so much that a sim can't do it rather GpBikes Sim can't do it cos of the way the sound is constructed here.  Right Maxy?

HornetMaX

I think that the relative volume between (for example) a knee slider and the engine is a property of the bike. So yes, the bike modder should be able to adapt this (and actually he/she is, as he sets the engine volume), but I don't think the end user should be able to alter this.

I'm not sim-hardcore in general, but when you are on a car/bike, assuming you've an helmet on, the only thing you can do is to have more or less noise using different earplugs (or no earplugs at all). You can't lower the volume of the engine only.

Same thing for "the volume of my bike vs the volume of other bikes": it makes no sense to have a slider for that (but that doesn't mean we don't have an issue on that point).

And yes, of course all this (adding volume knobs) is absolutely doable: I just think it's not worth nor right.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Agree it isn't right but can we ever get every modder who makes a bike to follow any universally accepted settings (an ISO standard maybe). I doubt it unfortunately. Again its all about hardcore sim compromise I guess.

HornetMaX

It's the same problem as the naming convention: if we push them to do it right they will, eventually. If we don't push them they won't, surely :)

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Funny thing is though that I have to turn my speakers down to a level a lot lower than any other game I have, because all the engine noises are too loud!
Either the effects samples need to be louder or the engine samples quieter (2nd gets my vote). And I am talking Standard bikes here too.
Note I don't use headphones so if the sound is 'designed' to be for headphone use then that's wrong.

HornetMaX

October 30, 2015, 10:42:01 AM #27 Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:36:42 PM by HornetMaX
Quote from: Napalm Nick on October 30, 2015, 10:28:53 AM
Funny thing is though that I have to turn my speakers down to a level a lot lower than any other game I have, because all the engine noises are too loud!
Either the effects samples need to be louder or the engine samples quieter (2nd gets my vote). And I am talking Standard bikes here too.
Doing that is easy: in the .scl file of a bike each sample has a volume envelope across an RPM range that goes 0 -->1 --> 1 --> 0: replacing the 1 with something less (e.g. 0.7) across all the samples would lower the volume of the engine.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Now that is a superb tip I will enjoy playing with (when I get time) Max thanks. Seriously this sounds exactly what we/I need in the interim of a slider being added to control this hahahaha kidding mate. Really seriously, cant wait to try it you are awesome.  :-*

CapeDoctor

yes, thanks for that tip, MaX - also going to start tinkering with that now.