• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Autoreset option

Started by Blackheart, March 06, 2016, 11:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackheart

Piboso it would be possible include an Auto-Reset aid in the option menu for the reset after a crash?

After a fall, we begin to press the reset button as the Damned and many times we do a double or triple reset, losing time  ;D

doNico

... and ofcourse the bike should fall and not get up again and go down a whole straight .. sometimes, theres no reset possible for like 20 seconds

~doN

Napalm Nick

Hope you don't mind me putting this here Blackhelmet but...

I would like the reset to be further tuned by reducing a little the distance to the next rider that prevents respawn. Or our primary solution preferably.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Blackheart

It should be reduced also the distance for the blue flags, which I think is the same  :P

Hawk

Be much better if Piboso allowed us to edit the min/max lines so track modders could dictate where immediate respawns were positioned out of harms way, especially while respawning on corner sections of tracks.
The current respawn solution is just putting back the old beta solutions of respawn....  Beta 8 and pervious beta respawn(reset) solutions have proved to be a nightmare for riders who like the respawn(reset) during a race event. ;)

Personally I'd go hardcore without any respawn for actual race sessions, but that's just my preference not shared by many it seems.  :P

Hawk.

HornetMaX

What happened to the "respawn where the bike stops" stuff ?

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Blackheart

My proposal is have a option to choose to get back on track the bike automatically when the way is free, without having to press a fucking "magic button" ::)

Hawk

Quote from: Blackheart on March 07, 2016, 09:04:36 PM
My proposal is have a option to choose to get back on track the bike automatically when the way is free, without having to press a fucking "magic button" ::)

So you like the bike respawn solution as it is now except you want GPB to do it automatically instead of you having to press a reset button?

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 07, 2016, 08:36:34 PM

That would be better than what we have now for sure, but having thought about it some more I can foresee problems would occur in eventualities were a bike would come to rest behind a barrier or similar situation were resetting at that position would mean not being able to get back on track, or at the very least a rider having to travel via places were the rider would totally miss sector markers and mess-up the lap timings/counts to get back on track. Much simpler and less troublesome to just allow a track modder to edit the min/max lines to dictate were the bikes respawn(safely) in the event of an accident at all positions on track relative to the centreline at the point were the bike hit the deck.

Hawk.

Blackheart

Quote from: Hawk on March 07, 2016, 09:26:53 PM
So you like the bike respawn solution as it is now except you want GPB to do it automatically instead of you having to press a reset button?

Yes, it is not a perfect solution but it works  :P In addition we are all more careful.  ;D

HornetMaX

That would be better than what we have now for sure, but having thought about it some more I can foresee problems would occur in eventualities were a bike would come to rest behind a barrier or similar situation were resetting at that position would mean not being able to get back on track, or at the very least a rider having to travel via places were the rider would totally miss sector markers and mess-up the lap timings/counts to get back on track.
I don't see respawning to a place where it is impossible to come back happen too often.
Miss sector markers should not a problem unless you miss the finish line (which again, is unlikely).
We even discussed that there should be no checkpoint check during a race.

The min/max line solution: doesn't solve the real issue (wait forever before respawn) and requires to modify all the tracks.

Hawk

March 08, 2016, 10:14:04 AM #11 Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:18:14 AM by Hawk
Quote from: HornetMaX on March 08, 2016, 09:02:43 AM

That would be better than what we have now for sure, but having thought about it some more I can foresee problems would occur in eventualities were a bike would come to rest behind a barrier or similar situation were resetting at that position would mean not being able to get back on track, or at the very least a rider having to travel via places were the rider would totally miss sector markers and mess-up the lap timings/counts to get back on track.
I don't see respawning to a place where it is impossible to come back happen too often.
Miss sector markers should not a problem unless you miss the finish line (which again, is unlikely).
We even discussed that there should be no checkpoint check during a race.

The min/max line solution: doesn't solve the real issue (wait forever before respawn) and requires to modify all the tracks.

Why would a rider have to wait forever if the min/max lines edit solution was used? I think you've misunderstood the idea behind the min/max line editing solution Max?
Right now when the min/max lines are created they lay at the edges of the track surface and cannot be adjusted/edited at all. Now on straights that works pretty well, but on corner sections it means the bike was respawned with a high degree of probability straight into the line of another rider hence now we've had to go back to the previous beta solution of GPB waiting till potentially all riders have past before a respawn is possible. both not good situations for riders to be in if respawn is what floats your boat in GPB.

Editing of the min/max lines would allow an immediate respawn at positions dictated by the track author(safe respawn positions) off the track surface and relative to the crash point from the centreline but also guarantee to be within the bounds of the circuit itself. This would allow other riders to also see the fallen riders path back onto the track surface and give those riders plenty of opportunity to adjust their line to avoid contact(as in reality) with the rider as he makes his way back onto the track surface should it be required.
In actual fact it would not be a lot dissimilar to the respawn were the bikes comes to a standstill after a crash except that in this case the bike would respawn safely off the track surface relative to the crash point with no chance of having the bike stuck behind a barrier or other object unable to find their way back on track, and also no chance of missing any timing sector markers that would definitely affect the a riders overall race time which in turn would surely affect their final race position(hence messing up the lap counts) even though the SF sector marker is supposed to count the laps completed, but does the SF sector marker do that alone or take into account the other sector timing markers too before it registers a completed lap count?

Having no checkpoint markers: Well a lot of tracks already have no checkpoint markers anyway. Checkpoint markers are only implemented were you want to give penalties for situations like cutting through side roads to join the main track again a lot further up the track or to stop corner cutting or using a wide space off the racing track surface to gain time, so having no checkpoint markers is really another story altogether and has nothing to do with respawn situations.

As far as tracks having to be modified: If the min/max line edit solution was implanted then tracks could be updated as and when required and it would take at most 30 mins to do it properly so long as the edit tool was properly developed to make it as easy as possible to do, ie: drag and place positionly with the mouse from the original placing of the min/max lines at immediate trackside, and not have to build the min max lines from scratch like we have to do with the track centreline. It would not be a problem or any big issue to do that.  :)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Waiting forever = because GPB still checks no rider is around before letting you spawn (on some short tracks, this sucks).

If you allow instant respawn into "safe zones" = OK, but that does not grant that a rider will be following a weird trajectory and will find a bike appearing right in front of him from nowhere.
That unless you put the "safe zones" out of track: but in that case, why not letting the bike where it stops ?!
In real life, if the bike crashes and stops on the track, it restarts (assuming it can) from there. And there's no problem with that, as incoming riders see the bike down and have to avoid it.
With what you propose, the bike will stop on the track, then magically disappear and reappear somewhere else.

doubledragoncc

IRL the bike goes down and the rider tries to get back on from that point, anything else is unrealistic and in hardcore, if you dont avoid a bike by taking the right action you hit it as IRL. If you want to settle the IRL to SIM issue you need a softcore and hardcore mode as some have suggested, would that not make more people happy and life easier?

And an rider animation for bump starting the bike if stalled hehe

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 08, 2016, 12:59:46 PM
Waiting forever = because GPB still checks no rider is around before letting you spawn (on some short tracks, this sucks).
GPB does that currently yes, but that could be changed in the scenario were we use editable min/max lines. The bike would then be able to respawn immediately on the positioned min/max lines relative to the centreline were the crash occurred.

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 08, 2016, 12:59:46 PM
If you allow instant respawn into "safe zones" = OK, but that does not grant that a rider will be following a weird trajectory and will find a bike appearing right in front of him from nowhere.
That unless you put the "safe zones" out of track: but in that case, why not letting the bike where it stops ?!
In real life, if the bike crashes and stops on the track, it restarts (assuming it can) from there. And there's no problem with that, as incoming riders see the bike down and have to avoid it.
With what you propose, the bike will stop on the track, then magically disappear and reappear somewhere else.

The safe zone would were the min/max line is positioned but relative to were the crash occurred but the rider would respawn on that min/max line. Obviously the min/max line would be placed(edited) during track authoring to a safe position out of the way of the racing pack of riders.
The term "Safe zone" was only used to reflect a safe positioning of the min/max line off the racing track surface, it isn't something like safe box area at a certain place were all bikes would respawn. Lol  ;D
I'd be all for letting the bike respawn were it stops in the aftermath of the crash so long as a solution for the bike being behind a barrier or a place that would make it difficult for the rider to get back on track in the aftermath of an accident was found, but I think a solution for that problem would be pretty difficult to solve as there could be so many different places and situations that would need accounting for in code that Piboso would be forever updating it.
You have to remember that we will have road race tracks as well as dedicated racing circuits, and in road race tracks there will be so many places a rider could have difficulty getting back on track if the rider was respawned at the place the bike came to rest after an accident. I just think you'd be creating a lot of unforeseen problems Max that would be very difficult to solve to make it reliable.

Quote from: doubledragoncc on March 08, 2016, 01:40:35 PM
IRL the bike goes down and the rider tries to get back on from that point, anything else is unrealistic and in hardcore, if you dont avoid a bike by taking the right action you hit it as IRL. If you want to settle the IRL to SIM issue you need a softcore and hardcore mode as some have suggested, would that not make more people happy and life easier?

And an rider animation for bump starting the bike if stalled hehe

DD

Oh DD... I'm all for the hardcore option of having a crash and your out of the race situation because I think it would promote real racing and not hotlap madman kamkazi attitudes on raceday. Lol.  ;D
But I also realise that many do like the Arcady element of respawn too. So I agree that the two should be implemented, both as optional settings for server admins and the settings menu.

But yes indeed, I think the ultimate would be for the rider to get up and run to his bike and try and get going again! That would be great!  ;D

Hawk.