• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:05:00 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Is a bike actually faster with all electronics OFF

Started by doubledragoncc, April 13, 2016, 11:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubledragoncc

Hi guys,

I was just wondering, I know if electronics are ON they obviously reduce acceleration to help certain scenarios etc, but when they are off, HOW much faster is a bike in relation to when they are all ON?

Might sound a dumb question, but for a beginner still weening off the electronics, I am not finding myself faster as such, due to naturally a few more visits to the tarmac with my bottom.

The reason I ask is, would it be better to get faster using electronics and learning the tracks and bikes, or is it better to start off with no electronics?

It would mean possibly being over cautious with it all off AND More dumps= more being in the way online!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

Quote from: doubledragoncc on April 13, 2016, 11:43:59 AM
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, I know if electronics are ON they obviously reduce acceleration to help certain scenarios etc, but when they are off, HOW much faster is a bike in relation to when they are all ON?

Might sound a dumb question, but for a beginner still weening off the electronics, I am not finding myself faster as such, due to naturally a few more visits to the tarmac with my bottom.

The reason I ask is, would it be better to get faster using electronics and learning the tracks and bikes, or is it better to start off with no electronics?

It would mean possibly being over cautious with it all off AND More dumps= more being in the way online!!!

DD

I would say it's better to learn without electronics because you'll learn good things about throttle control, etc, etc and you learn to control bike better..... Were if you start with electronics on, it's more like a console arcade game with very forgiving outcomes to your throttle responses, etc, etc, so then when you try without electronics it'll seem almost uncontrollable.

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

Thant the way I think too Hawk, BUT, it will mean I am more likely to lose control during a race and could be a royal pain in the but OR I am just to slow because I have to be cautious while learning.

Its hard being in with you guys as you have so much time on this where as Im only really in my 2nd month of actually riding and racing in GPB.

I guess we will have to see.

Thanks for you input. I need to know how you guys feel about my riding with you as I hate feeling in the way and ruining your fun.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Vini

Meyer#12

I agree with the rest, practice without electronics, it is a huge help to learn how to ride without from the beginning, then you have much better control of the bikes later on :)

And DD, you are a pleasure being on track with, not causing any problems at all and not in the way, if people are faster, they will find a way around no matter what :)
Meyer#12

Hawk

I agree with Meyer, DD..... Your no problem at all on track mate so don't you worry about your speed, we all started off slower than the rest and over time you learn so much from others while your participating in events and you also stop fretting about racing and race starts..... If you keep practicing regular you'll get there mate, but don't worry about getting in others way because as Meyer said, faster guys will find a way around you, and I feel the best thing when a faster rider catches up to you is to stay online and not do something the faster rider would find unusual especially while going through corners; on corner entries you can leave some space to let faster guys out-brake you into the turn, this is probably the best way to let them pass without losing time too much.  ;)

Hawk.
PS: It's up to the faster riders to show some caution when approaching slower riders or back-markers.... I know some fast riders still have to learn this, and some find it a hard thing to realise it seems, hence you get a wheel stuck up your arse at times. Lol  ;D

Meyer#12

I think i might be one who have stuck my wheel up søa few peoples ass  ::)

Grooveski and DD have at least felt it, i apologize! But beside that, i usually give good space when passing, if there at least is good space :)

And exactly, the best you can do is stay on the racing line and at full speed, not all of a sudden brake or move to the side. But as Hawk say, at entrance to a corner braking little early and staying wide can sometimes be fine if the turn is for example like Mugello first corner where there is plenty of space :)
Meyer#12

doubledragoncc

Yeah I try to stay on line but I get flustered with other bikes motors drowning mine out. S80 is fine lol.

OK I will start riding with no electronics and you can have a laugh lol.

Just as well I have dayglo colors haha

DD

Hawk

Quote from: doubledragoncc on April 13, 2016, 02:03:58 PM
Yeah I try to stay on line but I get flustered with other bikes motors drowning mine out. S80 is fine lol.

OK I will start riding with no electronics and you can have a laugh lol.

Just as well I have dayglo colors haha

DD

Lol... There was talk at one time for new riders to have one of those day-glow orange novice vests(as a paint file) that new riders to road racing used to have to wear in real life(not sure if they still do that?) so that they are easily identified to faster riders so that they can take caution quicker.  ;D

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on April 13, 2016, 11:43:59 AM
In GPB the electronics are pretty basic. To a point that in some situations there may make you actually slower, but not because they "reduce acceleration", but because they induce more troubles than the ones they are trying to cure.
A properly tuned electronics will make you go faster, just like in real life (that's why they do use it on racing bikes: if it made you slower, nobody would use it on track).
Take for example anti-wheeling: if done properly, you won't be able to do any better "by hand" (without electronics). When it "cuts", it's because it is needed: with no AW, you'd have to cut too (or accept a fat wheeling).

One thing though: don't mix-up the bike electronics (TC, AW, EB etc etc) with the helpers (traction help, breaking help, shift help etc).
Helpers will make you slower, always. In fact, I'd remove them from GPB completely (maybe except some shift help). At least, I'd have them OFF by default (right now they are ON by default).

Bottom line: it's always good to experiment. Don't listen to the ones rejecting stuff because their dogma says "electronics = bad". Take a bike (the 990), ride it one week with no TC, then try it with TC at 5 (or something mid-way). This will give you a good idea of how you feel about TC. After that, it's as always: whatever makes you more comfortable.

BTW: on the 990 (and similar) you definitely want to have EB ON (i.e. not at 0). Just like in reality, on this kind of bikes (motogp), not having engine brake control is a big no-no (unless you want to do all your braking on the brakes, still in 5th gear, and downshift to 2nd only once you're below 90Kmh). TC and AW are more a personal preference (in GPB, because in real life, on track, there's no debate).

Quote from: Hawk on April 13, 2016, 12:00:50 PM
I would say it's better to learn without electronics because you'll learn good things about throttle control, etc, etc and you learn to control bike better..... Were if you start with electronics on, it's more like a console arcade game with very forgiving outcomes to your throttle responses, etc, etc, so then when you try without electronics it'll seem almost uncontrollable.
That really sounds like an acceptable and balanced opinion Hawk ! :) As if putting TC at 2 on the 990 will magically save any throttle abuse. Boy, you can be old school at times ...

What's next: don't use ABS on your real bike, or you won't learn how to brake and you'll only be able to brake on a console arcade game ?! :)

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 13, 2016, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: Hawk on April 13, 2016, 12:00:50 PM
That really sounds like an acceptable and balanced opinion Hawk ! :) As if putting TC at 2 on the 990 will magically save any throttle abuse. Boy, you can be old school at times ...

What's next: don't use ABS on your real bike, or you won't learn how to brake and you'll only be able to brake on a console arcade game ?! :)

ROLF!!! You wouldn't expect any different from me Max I'm sure! Lol!  ;D

But surely you can see that learning to ride a bike without any electronic nanny controls would allow you to learn more about controlling a true racing bike than to rely totally on electronics to dampen any mistakes you make?  Especially throttle control. ;)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

I see some value in doing as you said, but what you don't see is that electronics are not as forgiving as you think, otherwise we would see very little crashing in motogp.
And of course, we do disagree on what is a true racing bike, but that was known :)

JJS209

i would say that you are faster with electronics (esp. on 1000cc's) and to learn riding tracks a 600cc without electronics would be best.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 13, 2016, 03:05:38 PM
I see some value in doing as you said, but what you don't see is that electronics are not as forgiving as you think, otherwise we would see very little crashing in motogp.
And of course, we do disagree on what is a true racing bike, but that was known :)

Was it little old Danny Pedrosa that showed just what difference it makes when you don't have electronics governing TC from throttle inputs.... I believe he span-out almost straight away when he opened the throttle not realising that Marquez had cut the TC communication lines on Danny's swingarm. I did have a good old giggle at that. Lol
But it just goes to show that modern riders are not used to genuine throttle control and can get away with greater inputs because of electronic controls.  :)

@JJ: Definitely I would agree that a rider will be faster with electronic control on simply because like in real life it's easier to ride.  :)

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

Helpers WTF!!! they NEVER GOT used dude lol.........

It was more about here in GPB, not real life, after 36plus years riding and being a tech, I know about in real life, but GPB is not perfect yet and I still have a lot to learn riding in a sim.

I thought it was discovered that EB is the other way round, 0 is full engine brake and 3 or woteva is none?

I made an exhaust brake for my bike once and it worked well then Yam came out with YICS or whateva it was. I like to save me brakes lol.

Having a real clutch lever I find the clutch simulation a bit lacking so AW is my main concern. Been lowering TC the last races.

Thanks for all the input guys, thats why I luv this place.

DD