• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Track edge detection - cores

Started by h106frp, June 18, 2016, 10:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

I am finding my major (99%) reason for 'cores' is when the bike is running on the track edge join. Often the error is a visible crack between track edge and the scenery but sometimes it just seems to be where the white boundary lines do not sit well on the track surface - possibly the main track geometry fault is just very small in this region.

Could the detection routine be made more tolerant of poor track geometry?

This effects a lot of tracks even the default Victoria

PeterV

It can be made more tolerant, i know cause we had this problem in an earlier beta version. and Piboso did alter it.
So yes, Piboso can alter the detection tolerants level.

CapeDoctor

must admit, even more so with beta 8 than 7, i get most of my core crashes from just riding on that track edge, sometimes even the slightest brush will do it - and not just mod tracks, it happens at Victoria too....
it's imperative that these sort of crashes be sorted out.

CapeDoctor

it's a bit strange, this detection thing - for my testing - Victoria circuit only, so far - same thing happens with both modded and stock bikes.
a hard. fast, straight run off the track is usually fine, no core crash - this crash is seemingly alwyas happening only when the bike has a high speed 'brush' with the track edge - in fact, once it even core-crashed when i went over the dotted line (still on asphalt, mind you) just after the main straight pit wall - i'm talking millimeters, if not  centimeters here.
very frustrating, as it usually happens around the time i've done a few laps, and am just getting into my groove - BAM! you're out! - start over-....  ???
very frustrating, to say the least, and i seem to be experiencing this more with beta 8 than previous beta's (i only arrived on the scene here since beta 6)

h106frp

I found the one close to the end of the pit wall as well  :)  If you cut out of the pit lane very close to the wall (offline testing) = core  :(

The one of the inside of the exit to turn 2 has caught me several times.

CapeDoctor

Quote from: h106frp on June 21, 2016, 07:00:11 AM

The one of the inside of the exit to turn 2 has caught me several times.

same here. lol :)

doubledragoncc

DOC I know its a bit OT, but you know that even if you have bad internet connection, you can host an online race and set it for as much practice time as you want and ride with less core crashes that way on your own.

I know its obvious but it sounds like you are doing all offline?

DD

GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

Apart from the track edge issues my offline is 99% stable, its the combination of track model and detection  that throws errors.

The observation that cutting across the edge is not as problematic as running along and edge is also correct - i assume this is a feature of the detection model.

Gone back to testing with Donnington at the moment while testing tyre dirt mapping which involves a bit of 'off roading' and Victoria has a lot of bad track edges=core=irritating.

CapeDoctor

DD, you're correct in thinking that i'm offl;ine - basically 100% of my time is spent offline.
i struggle to see how going online will improve things, besides the fact that even with an 'uncapped' line, my service provider has already throttled the crap out of my account this month, so much so, that even trying to make a forum post or read my email is a near impossibility.  ???
the joys of Africa, man....
anyhoo, noted, and will give it a go online when i have a decent connection again.  ;)

PS - probably needs its own thread this, but just to let you know, DD, that i have now reinstalled beta 8 4 times in about the last two weeks, and still the game core-crashes whenever i change from 3rd-person to 1st-person view - stock bikes and modded.
the only way i can sometimes get into first-person view is when the bike spawns in the pits - before i touch anything else, i change to first person, and it'll work - and even this technique only works around 50% of the time.
almost like the sim is insisting that i play in third-person, lol
anyway, as no-one else seems to have reported anything similar, i'm assuming that it's just some weird issue specific to my setup.
between this and the track edge cores, i'm not having the greatest of times with b8, tbh - although physics-wise it's the best beta version i've tried, so far :D

doubledragoncc

I dont know if you host a server and you are not actually racing anyone, so not sending another computer data, you will not use data from your limit? I wonder if you can host a race even if your internet is turned off??? One sec..................................
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

Yep you can host a local race with NO internet connection DOC

Just did it to check for you so it will not use the internet but should be more stable for you.

DD

PS not sure about the 1st to 3rd person stuff.

CapeDoctor

thanks guys, will test it out, and give some feedback once i've done so ;)

CapeDoctor

well - over an hour of straight testing at Victoria, using local host.
tried to brush the edge a lot at high speed. changed view on the fly between 3rd and 1st person several times.
amount of core crashes =   0      ;D
why is this, i wonder?

doubledragoncc

Well I am glad it worked for you DOC.

It is how I have used GPB for the last few months and at least it means far less cores than fully offline. Funny thing is it IS offline lol.

I wonder why it cant be used to help P figure out why some cores happen, its the same program but functioning in a slightly different way as a host is all.

Hope it means more riding time with less downtime for you DOC

DD