• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:11:01 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

(binary ?) edit Testing start position

Started by mst, July 09, 2016, 07:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mst

Is it possible to edit a "compiled" track file(s) to change the Testing bike start position ?

How? 

Which file(s),  hex data ? .. Offset ?   Value ?

Hawk

Quote from: mst on July 09, 2016, 07:41:52 AM
Is it possible to edit a "compiled" track file(s) to change the Testing bike start position ?

How? 

Which file(s),  hex data ? .. Offset ?   Value ?

The bike is initially spawned on track via the pit-lane. If you require a change of initial spawn position for your testing then you'd have to reposition the bike pit lane positions via the race data pits facility in TrackED.

But why would you want to change the start position for testing a bike?

Hawk.

mst

July 09, 2016, 09:17:07 AM #2 Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:19:45 AM by mst
>If you require a change of initial spawn position for your testing then you'd have to >reposition the bike pit lane positions via the race data pits facility in TrackED.

Does TrackED work on "binary" / compiled track files?  Or on the "source" files?

>But why would you want to change the start position for testing a bike?

Well Victoria Circuit, and a few other ones spawn the bike in a pit position,  oriented 90 degrees to the pit lane.

When I first started using the sim, it took me "forever" to get the default 990 quickly turned 90 degrees without falling over.

Another track I just downloaded, (forget the name will check), spawns the bike the same way, with a pit wall even closer than Victoria.

With the motogp bikes, I can more easily get the bike turned quick enough.

With some of the other tracks I've tried, the bike IS oriented properly (parallel) to the pitlane to start with.

So either "sloppy" track building, or some kind of incompatibility with the tracks construction, or the designer has chosen ? to orient the bike at 90 degrees to the pit lane ?

Hawk

Quote from: mst on July 09, 2016, 09:17:07 AM
>If you require a change of initial spawn position for your testing then you'd have to >reposition the bike pit lane positions via the race data pits facility in TrackED.

Does TrackED work on "binary" / compiled track files?  Or on the "source" files?

>But why would you want to change the start position for testing a bike?

Well Victoria Circuit, and a few other ones spawn the bike in a pit position,  oriented 90 degrees to the pit lane.

When I first started using the sim, it took me "forever" to get the default 990 quickly turned 90 degrees without falling over.

Another track I just downloaded, (forget the name will check), spawns the bike the same way, with a pit wall even closer than Victoria.

With the motogp bikes, I can more easily get the bike turned quick enough.

With some of the other tracks I've tried, the bike IS oriented properly (parallel) to the pitlane to start with.

So either "sloppy" track building, or some kind of incompatibility with the tracks construction, or the designer has chosen ? to orient the bike at 90 degrees to the pit lane ?

No not sloppy design at all..... The track authors have purposely positioned the bikes in the pits like that, but I do understand exactly what you mean and it is a little difficult for newbies to even get out of the pits when positioned like that in the pits. But with some little practice it is easily overcome and you can control the bike well enough to overcome this issue.

However, there is settings in the race data pits section in TrackED were a track author can adjust the angles and positions of the bikes in the pit lane, so you can put then at whatever angle you wish, though I still cannot for the life of me think why you would want to do that given a little practice will soon overcome the lack of control by a newbie that causes this issue? But as I say I do understand what your saying.  :) ;)

But you do realise that if you want to race online on a race server then unless that server has the same track files you have adjusted then you'll get a data mismatch message and won't be able to connect? So unless you plan to only ride offline then I just think your going to a lot of trouble for nothing. Better just to learn to control the bike better... it only takes a few hours practice to start getting the hang of it all.  :)

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

As a side note on the direction a bike is positioned in the pits.............It is a BAD point that the Demo of GPB starts with the bike as it is as for a new rider they are put off by the fact it can be hard to get out of the pit before they can ride!!!

To be very honest this is a MAJOR put off for new sales and should be addressed.

Such a simple point but MASSIVE for sales to newbies!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Grooveski

Mind the 'Low Speed' button.   ;)  At Phillip Island, Donnington and the likes I usually huckle myself round into roughly the right direction before pulling away.

mst

Quote from: doubledragoncc on July 09, 2016, 11:40:35 AM
As a side note on the direction a bike is positioned in the pits.............It is a BAD point that the Demo of GPB starts with the bike as it is as for a new rider they are put off by the fact it can be hard to get out of the pit before they can ride!!!

To be very honest this is a MAJOR put off for new sales and should be addressed.

Such a simple point but MASSIVE for sales to newbies!!!

DD

Are there any "new sales" ?   The messages I keep reading on the forum are GPB sales are minimal, and therefore that's why development is not a "priority".

The pit / angle thing is more than annoying to be sure, but microscopic in importance compared to the "track hole" crashes.

Is the "90 degree thing" a European tradition ?

Mosport, Laguna, Limerock, Imola, all line up "normally" (heh, what *I* call normal).

Hawk

Quote from: mst on July 09, 2016, 12:46:42 PM
The pit / angle thing is more than annoying to be sure, but microscopic in importance compared to the "track hole" crashes.

Mosport, Laguna, Limerock, Imola, all line up "normally" (heh, what *I* call normal).

No I don't think it is a Euro tradition, just a preference of the track author who put the bikes in that position.  :)

Actually I think 99% of all tracks have the bikes positioned reasonably in the pits for ease of getaway.... But I wouldn't go as far to say that there is a normal pit start position, it's whatever the riders prefer.  ;)

But whatever, it is an easy thing to alter, just that you need to gain the authors permissions before you do that if you want the track to be included on the race servers or in the track downloads database.  :)

Hawk.

Grooveski

If the pit spawns are one behind the other you get folk spawning in front of you as you're pulling away.
..especially at the start of qualifying with everyone heading out onto track at the same time.

All in a line at 45° to pitlane seems to be a decent setup(like Suzuka(and others)). 
90° - as you say - is a pain in the ass.

Oh no, I said the S word  :P - Man, Ive been kicking the ass out of Suzuka the last couple of days(cheers DD - nice choice :) ).
Must be about time for todays fix.   :)

doubledragoncc

BUT maybe sales are minimal if new people cant even get out of the pits not knowing about holding the rear break!!!!

It is not a small point if it is what is effecting sales!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Grooveski

Can safely say my first impression of GPB was "frustrating".

Wobble about the pits - crash half a dozen times.
Make it on track - crash another half dozen times.
Change setup - damn - back in the pits - wobble about some more.   ::)
Repeat until sick of Phillip Island (It's never been my favorate track - If it wasn't for the Honda Hairpin I'd likely love it but that one corner has cost me dear in points over the years - grrr!).
...or sick of the 125(which it has to be said, isn't the easiest bike to learn on).

I've had my eye on GPB for years but the demo experience never had me reaching for for the paypal button.  If the bike had started pointing along pitlane(and been the GP1000) I'd have splashed out much sooner.
As it was it took Ian, Jerre, et al saying that the full game was muuuuuuuch better than the demo to convince me.

doubledragoncc

And thats my point G

The Demo must be perfect and easy to start with, no matter if it is a real sim or game, you MUST get the customer HOOKed asap not fight to enjoy it.

I would bet money (IF I betted lol) on it that many have NOT paid due to this SIMPLE point.

DD

mst

July 09, 2016, 10:00:15 PM #12 Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:13:20 PM by mst
*delete*

mst

Quote from: Hawk on July 09, 2016, 01:01:37 PM
Quote from: mst on July 09, 2016, 12:46:42 PM

No I don't think it is a Euro tradition, just a preference of the track author who put the bikes in that position.  :)

Actually I think 99% of all tracks have the bikes positioned reasonably in the pits for ease of getaway.... But I wouldn't go as far to say that there is a normal pit start position, it's whatever the riders prefer.  ;)

But whatever, it is an easy thing to alter, just that you need to gain the authors permissions before you do that if you want the track to be included on the race servers or in the track downloads database.  :)

Hawk.

Ok, I downloaded TrackEd, and it was an easy fix for the Donnington pits.   Thanks for the pointer to TrackEd !

Instead of the track developer's  "whim / preference", I would have thought they would model the pit positions according to the real world races are setup.  But I haven't seen any videos yet of motoGP "in pits", so I have no idea what the "standard" (if it exists) is.

mst

I copied tracks.pkz to tracks.pkz.zip, unzipped it to  gpbikes\tracks\victoria, and renamed the tracks.pkz to tracks.pkz.off.

Opening the victoria.trp in TrackEd, and clicking on view/race data is crashing TrackED :(

Can any of you guys confirm TrackED crashes with the same procedure?

Is it because it's an "old" track, and I need to download a newer version from the MEGA site ?