• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

GP Bikes beta9b

Started by PiBoSo, October 05, 2016, 11:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel_F

i agree that is more realistic but only when tracks dont make ur bike stuck in the barriers  or you have to fall loads of times cos low speed turn is kinda impossible in the asphalt even more in the grass or sand

HornetMaX

Quote from: JamoZ on October 05, 2016, 10:44:14 PM
To answer your question Max, no i can`t do the same in a car sim and no i wouldn`t use something like that.

Good.

Quote from: JamoZ on October 05, 2016, 10:44:14 PM
It happened too often that my bike and rider were facing the other way, on the grass, which is all ok since i crashed and that`s where my bike ended up...no problem right? Well, if my rider tips over 3 times with even barely touching the controls and is now facing a complete other direction which is even harder to get back on track from, i think sacrifices have to be made because it`s clear that something is not right here...in real life you don`t magically fall over after touching your handle bars when standing still, so why would i have to live with it in GP bikes?
Practice, it's really not hard: give it a tad of throttle then use the clutch. I can do it and I'm sure I'm a worse rider than you in GPB.

Or: use the "old school respawn" press and hold for 3 sec. Did you try this ?

Quote from: Daniel_F on October 05, 2016, 11:33:25 PM
i agree that is more realistic but only when tracks dont make ur bike stuck in the barriers  or you have to fall loads of times cos low speed turn is kinda impossible in the asphalt even more in the grass or sand
If you're stuck on the barriers (which we all agree should not happen) or you find it too easy to start from grass/sand then  USE THE OLD+STLYE RESPAWN (press reset and hold it for 3 sec or until you respawn).

I'm not sure I I'm making it clear: the old-style respawn is still (freakin') here. YOU. CAN. USE. IT. :)

JamoZ

October 06, 2016, 08:19:53 AM #32 Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:28:09 AM by JamoZ
Quote from: HornetMaX on October 05, 2016, 11:45:06 PM
Practice, it's really not hard: give it a tad of throttle then use the clutch. I can do it and I'm sure I'm a worse rider than you in GPB.

Cool, i`ll start training with Yoda and try to get the bike going with the force or something...

How do you want me to practise this if my bike starts derping out even when i don`t touch the throttle? On Assen yesterday the bike acted weird just by slightly moving the left stick, nothing else.

Maybe it`s something that happens on certain mod tracks only as i did far more laps on Assen than Victoria and i didn`t notice this happening there. It might be due to bad surface moddeling or something. Also i think modded tracks need to be updated anyway as the normal respawn system sets you back into the pits (on Assen ) so that`s kinda useless..

If we`re going to use this, it sure as hell needs some tweaking and work to make it work well on all tracks.
I just hope hope that tweaking this system doesn`t take away priority from the core bug.

We (ivo and me) unanimously agreed that the physics are near perfect now, and gp bikes is more fun than ever, fix that nasty core bug and you`ve got yourselfs a v1.0
Release it on steam, rake in the money, hire more people, next thing you know PiBoSo is bigger than EA...profit?

Stout Johnson

Quote from: JamoZ on October 06, 2016, 08:19:53 AM
We (ivo and me) unanimously agreed that the physics are near perfect now, and gp bikes is more fun than ever, fix that nasty core bug and you`ve got yourselfs a v1.0
Release it on steam, rake in the money, hire more people, next thing you know PiBoSo is bigger than EA...profit?
Cool, something that can I totally agree on. ;)

+1000
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

How do you want me to practise this if my bike starts derping out even when i don`t touch the throttle? On Assen yesterday the bike acted weird just by slightly moving the left stick, nothing else.

Maybe it`s something that happens on certain mod tracks only as i did far more laps on Assen than Victoria and i didn`t notice this happening there. It might be due to bad surface moddeling or something. Also i think modded tracks need to be updated anyway as the normal respawn system sets you back into the pits (on Assen ) so that`s kinda useless..
If it doesn't happen on Victoria and it happens on mod tracks, it's a mod track problem.
When Steven enlightened me on the existence of the "old respawn", he said that (post):
QuoteMaybe I really don't understand the problem, but when holding reset you only go to the pits when the new lines haven't been done. On Victoria (as the only example at the moment) you will spawn on the side of the track with the engine running and mostly like it's been before I think.

So yeah, some mod tracks may have to be updated.

If we`re going to use this, it sure as hell needs some tweaking and work to make it work well on all tracks.
I just hope hope that tweaking this system doesn`t take away priority from the core bug.
As far as I can see, it's up to track creators to do the job to make the old respawn work fine with their tracks, not to PiBoSo (but he still has to work on preventing to spawn in a barrier, of course).

w000t!!1

BOBR6 84

I agree the physics are really good! More to come too it seems.. Not really bothered about all the other stuff apart from the core crashes obviously.. Working away soon near MaX's favorite place.. Carlisle! Lol so i wont get chance to play anyway  :-\

Hawk

October 06, 2016, 01:48:22 PM #36 Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:51:21 PM by Hawk
If the Track MODS are updated to allow bike reset onto the track surface after pressing the reset button for 3 secs then that would totally negate the new bike reset system because "Gameboys" would just reset their bikes onto the track surface every time they crashed and gain a big advantage in races.  >:(

I personally won't be updating any tracks to allow this.  :P

It would be a good idea to have the 3 sec reset button as a server option so that server admins can stop it's use when required for certain events?

Hawk.
PS: I might consider co-operating on this if race organisers would hold "Reality-Reset" events, and if anyone is caught resetting their bike with the 3 sec button hold then they are banned from any future race events for 3 months, and if they do it again then they are banned for life. LOL!  :P ;D

Vini

Quote from: Hawk on October 06, 2016, 01:48:22 PM
If the Track MODS are updated to allow bike reset onto the track surface after pressing the reset button for 3 secs then that would totally negate the new bike reset system because "Gameboys" would just reset their bikes onto the track surface every time they crashed and gain a big advantage in races.  >:(

Then other people will do it.

Quote from: Hawk on October 06, 2016, 01:48:22 PMIt would be a good idea to have the 3 sec reset button as a server option so that server admins can stop it's use when required for certain events?
Quote from: vin97 on October 02, 2016, 04:48:41 PMI would add to that an adjustable minimum time limit for how quick after a crash you can reset the bike

Hawk

October 06, 2016, 04:23:15 PM #38 Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:25:25 PM by Hawk
Quote from: vin97 on October 06, 2016, 03:14:56 PM
Quote from: Hawk on October 06, 2016, 01:48:22 PM

Then other people will do it.

As long as they get permissions from the track authors first then that's fine.  :P

Quote from: Hawk on October 06, 2016, 01:48:22 PMIt would be a good idea to have the 3 sec reset button as a server option so that server admins can stop it's use when required for certain events?
Quote from: vin97 on October 02, 2016, 04:48:41 PMI would add to that an adjustable minimum time limit for how quick after a crash you can reset the bike

+1 on that idea Vin.  ;) 8)

Hawk.

Vini

October 06, 2016, 04:26:30 PM #39 Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:31:08 PM by vin97
As long as they don't publish a modified version of the track but simply explain how to add the lines, it's fine, too.

P.S.: I'm all for realism but I remember when I started playing GPB, I would basically crash at every corner and it would take me half a minute to get out of some pitboxes, let alone get the bike rolling on dirt. If the only option would have been to go back to pits, I would have never purchased the game out of frustration.

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on October 06, 2016, 04:26:30 PM
As long as they don't publish a modified version of the track but simply explain how to add the lines, it's fine, too.

That is where your wrong Vin..... Track authors have last say in how their tracks are used or altered. Anyone thinking of adding functionality to a track mod needs to get permission from the track author first.  ;)

Hawk.

Vini

I don't remember signing any contract.
But it's actually ridiculous that we are discussing this.
You won't stop people from using the feature just because it goes against your opinion on how the game should be.
...I don't need any drama, so I'm out of that discussion for now.

h106frp

Could the reset behaviour be added to the race host options? This  would allow racing in hardcore mode and practice in standard mode

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on October 06, 2016, 04:38:25 PM
I don't remember signing any contract.
But it's actually ridiculous that we are discussing this.
You won't stop people from using the feature just because it goes against your opinion on how the game should be.
...I don't need any drama, so I'm out of that discussion for now.

You know very well it's not just MY opinion Vin so don't suggest that it is just me who thinks resetting directly to the track surface is a bad idea now.
Many riders like the new B9 respawn system, it's only the few that are speaking out against it from what I see on the forum. ::)

Okay you didn't sign any contract, but if your going to start altering authors mods without permissions then that can only lead to one thing.... It's up to you guys how you handle it. But I won't update the track database with any tracks that have been altered without authors permissions. Simple. I never have done and won't start now.  :P

But to be fair and to demonstrate that I'm not just thinking about myself: If a community forum poll is created in say 3 weeks time(after people have had chance to really get used to the new respawn system) and that poll shows a clear majority(and by that I don't mean 51% in favour or similar but a clear majority) in favour of resetting bikes directly onto the track surface then I'll personally update all the tracks I have permission to update with the alterations required. I can't be any fairer than that now can I?  ;) 8)

Hawk.

Stout Johnson

October 06, 2016, 05:29:07 PM #44 Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:42:06 PM by Stout Johnson
Don't do any polls on such things, there would be a lot campaigning and we don't need that - we are one community (and too small a community already anyhow). We don't need seperate parties around here.

Quote from: vin97 on October 06, 2016, 04:26:30 PM
P.S.: I'm all for realism but I remember when I started playing GPB, I would basically crash at every corner and it would take me half a minute to get out of some pitboxes, let alone get the bike rolling on dirt. If the only option would have been to go back to pits, I would have never purchased the game out of frustration.
First of all, I am glad you are for realism. That's a good thing in general, I think GPB should not generally sacrifice the sim approach just for sales. Having said that, I also do think your point with new players is legit to some degree. But you should not forget: When we started with GPB the physics was not at the point it is now. The falls were very often just a bit unpredictable. Now it is differently, one is able to ride constantly much easier, even the newcomers. Notwithstanding that, I see your point Vin.

As a summary, we need following things to be adressed with respawn:
-get rid of the stuck in tyres/wall glitch after respawn
-add optional delay "crash penalty", server side
-add a server side option on which reset system is allowed (A) the reset according to current "R" button push only, B) the reset according to holding "R" button for 3seconds + optional delay "crash penalty" C) both reset options combined (basically the system as it is now +  optional delay "crash penalty")
-we need the reset lines created for the tracks we have permission to update
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------