• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:49:26 AM

Isle Of Man

Started by Reactive, December 26, 2013, 11:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

Do a search of the forum for IOM track mate there are 100 pages of info  ;)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Reactive

we dont have complicated gps data of the track
Excuse my English, its not my native.
Ryzen7 1800x / Aorus GA-AX370 Gaming K7 / Hynix 16Gb x2 2993MHz / Samsung 960PRO 512 M.2 / nVidia GTX1060 6Gb / Windows 10 pro x64

Storris

Quote from: Reactive on March 16, 2016, 01:59:08 PM

How complicated do you need?  I live on IoM and can drive, cycle or walk the entire track as required, in short sections if needed, to gather data.

Alternatively, this link - https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=657FAF18BF053011!8807&authkey=!ANfsVwYhVYtFfb0&ithint=file%2cgpx - is to a GPX file from a full lap on a bicycle.  Loads of these available from fitness apps like Garmin & Strava etc...
Would have attached but it's about 200kb too big.

Hawk

Quote from: Storris on April 11, 2016, 02:53:53 PM
Quote from: Reactive on March 16, 2016, 01:59:08 PM

How complicated do you need?  I live on IoM and can drive, cycle or walk the entire track as required, in short sections if needed, to gather data.

Alternatively, this link - https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=657FAF18BF053011!8807&authkey=!ANfsVwYhVYtFfb0&ithint=file%2cgpx - is to a GPX file from a full lap on a bicycle.  Loads of these available from fitness apps like Garmin & Strava etc...
Would have attached but it's about 200kb too big.

This sounds very interesting.... It's worth testing out....... Can someone put this data through RTB and see what we get from it.... I could then integrate that into GPB and we'll see what we get.  ;D

Thank you for the data file Storris... Nice one mate!  ;) 8)

Hawk.

matty0l215

In the dev's infinite wisdom, he removed the ability to use GPS data to generate a track... I can have a go with BTB to generate one but i know how bad they are.

Great work Storris :D

And welcome to the community :)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on April 11, 2016, 04:30:46 PM
In the dev's infinite wisdom, he removed the ability to use GPS data to generate a track... I can have a go with BTB to generate one but i know how bad they are.

That would be great Matty... Yeah BTB and RTB tracks are bad, but if GPB can handle the size of track and terrain in a test run, then I could easily use the BTB/track as a template to rebuild the track surface in detail.  ;)

Can you get the resultant scene exported into ideally .fbx or at least .3ds format and send it to me? I'll then convert it for use in GPB for a test run of the track and terrain.

Hawk.

matty0l215

Quote from: Hawk on April 11, 2016, 04:42:26 PM
Quote from: matty0l215 on April 11, 2016, 04:30:46 PM

That would be great Matty... Yeah BTB and RTB tracks are bad, but if GPB can handle the size of track and terrain in a test run, then I could easily use the BTB/track as a template to rebuild the track surface in detail.  ;)

Can you get the resultant scene exported into ideally .fbx or at least .3ds format and send it to me? I'll then convert it for use in GPB for a test run of the track and terrain.

Hawk.

Oh yes, i bought a new bit of software (3DsimED) that can take many many types of game files and convert them to many other types. So converting wont be an issue :D

Storris

April 11, 2016, 04:53:27 PM #277 Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:55:49 PM by Storris
While the forum is busy, I've spoken to a couple of the companies involved in laser scanning Rockingham Raceway for Live for Speed.  They've given an approximate cost of £10,000 to scan the full course.  They'll be providing me with an official quote later this week, and all things going well, I'll have the KickStarter up & running by this time next week.

I'd appreciate any info you can give on what data track builders need, can they work from 'coloured point cloud information', or would it need to be processed further?

The idea behind the KickStarter is to open source the data for all sims/race games. COuld I count on the support of this forum to make that happen?

Oh yes, and thank you for the welcome :)

matty0l215

Quote from: Storris on April 11, 2016, 04:53:27 PM
While the forum is busy, I've spoken to a couple of the companies involved in laser scanning Rockingham Raceway for Live for Speed.  They've given an approximate cost of £10,000 to scan the full course.  They'll be providing me with an official quote later this week, and all things going well, I'll have the KickStarter up & running by this time next week.

I'd appreciate any info you can give on what data track builders need, can they work from 'coloured point cloud information', or would it need to be processed further?

The idea behind the KickStarter is to open source the data for all sims/race games. COuld I count on the support of this forum to make that happen?

That seems relativity cheap (for a ~38 miles of track) :o

but it might be a waste of time if we can't physically get the track to load in game, thats what we are working on now (with your gps data we can generate a track thats the correct size and shape)

PiBoSo

April 11, 2016, 07:27:53 PM #279 Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:32:41 PM by PiBoSo

Hello.
As most of the users here already know, this is a very sensitive topic.
You are new here, so are probably not aware that work has been in progress for several months now to create a full TT simulator ( including sidecars and pitstops ).
The plan is to start a KS campaign soon for the same reason you have: to laser scan the whole Mountain Course.
Could you please give more info about your project?
I didn't know of the Rockingham laser scanning. Why did they need two companies? A quick search points to APR Services: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nxvf_52KNM
What's the other company?
The quote you got is extremely competitive. Does it include the generation of the 3D mesh of the road and walls? The raw points cloud is not useful for track making.

It wouldn't be very good for our project if the laser scanning data was freely available to any simulator, but at least TTB would be the only one with motorcycles and sidecars.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

BOBR6 84

matty0l215

April 11, 2016, 07:44:11 PM #281 Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:01:46 PM by Hawk
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qykr30yl8qeg8vv/Isle%20of%20Man%20TT%20course%20GPS%20Data.FBX?dl=0

FBX version of the TT from Bobs track builder, it's not a great track surface but the elevation and layout look pretty good.

Think this will work Hawk?

Great! Thank you Matty.... I'll download now and take a look at it and report back to you.  ;)

Hawk.

Storris

April 11, 2016, 08:25:17 PM #282 Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:17:08 PM by Storris
Hi PiBiSo,

I didn't know you were working on a TT sim.

This project is simply as I've said.  Lots of people across many sim/racing platforms want to race on the Isle of Man, but we've all been sat around for a decade waiting for a guy who has made it clear that completing his project is not a priority, though I was pleasantly surprised to find that there seems to be some motivation amongst this community to get something working for themselves.

APR suggested I get in contact with another company as they weren't able to complete the mobile scanning that would be needed around sections of the Mountain Course.  I too thought that the figure given was extremely competitive, so I didn't hesitate in asking them for an official quotation, which is in the works as we speak.

I appreciate that this is might look as though it will step on the toes of projects such as yours, but unless you plan on using obscure or proprietary tools, your track will almost certainly be ported to other titles within a month of its release.  Having the data & funding crowd sourced, will simply save you and your customers the costs of developing for other titles, so I hope you can sort of see how this project will be to your benefit.  If you believe it is, then I'd really appreciate the input from actual developers such as yourself.

You're unlikely to lose custom if you're providing a full TT experience - http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/would-you-be-interested-in-a-laser-scanned-isle-of-man-tt.120475/ - Open source & modding is not to everyone's taste, there are plenty of people who want a fully-baked, plug & play solution.  PlayStation & XBox sales should be proof enough of that. :)

As to whether or not the company can supply a mesh, this is something I'll have to ask them during office hours, but from what I've been reading it should be fairly trivial for any potential track builders to create their own mesh in their preferred format, with their preferred tools.  Supplying a cloud rather than a mesh should will also allow builders to remove anomalies from the scan, such as the inevitable traffic, withou having to pay for the scanning company to do it before building a mesh.

Hope this clears up what you needed,

Best
SM

h106frp

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 11, 2016, 07:27:53 PM

Hello.
As most of the users here already know, this is a very sensitive topic.
You are new here, so are probably not aware that work has been in progress for several months now to create a full TT simulator ( including sidecars and pitstops ).
The plan is to start a KS campaign soon for the same reason you have: to laser scan the whole Mountain Course.
Could you please give more info about your project?
I didn't know of the Rockingham laser scanning. Why did they need two companies? A quick search points to APR Services: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nxvf_52KNM
What's the other company?
The quote you got is extremely competitive. Does it include the generation of the 3D mesh of the road and walls? The raw points cloud is not useful for track making.

It wouldn't be very good for our project if the laser scanning data was freely available to any simulator, but at least TTB would be the only one with motorcycles and sidecars.

I would not worry too much, its one thing having the track but its another having a simulator that makes it feel like your riding the TT course. I cannot ever see a small team completing the track (meshing, rendering and shading) and i believe it will take a huge community effort to do it justice anyway.

However it would not bother me at all to have to purchase a separate simulator engine that has the physics to make it worth riding and on this count the PiBoso engine is pretty much the only one.

PiBoSo

April 11, 2016, 09:23:10 PM #284 Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:24:59 PM by PiBoSo
Quote from: Storris on April 11, 2016, 08:25:17 PM
Hi PiBiSo,

I didn't know you were working on a TT sim.

This project is simply as I've said.  Lots of people across many sim/racing platforms want to race on the Isle of Man, but we've all been sat around for a decade waiting for a guy who has made it clear that completing his project is not a priority, though I was pleasantly surprised to find that there seems to be some motivation amongst this community to get something working for themselves.

APR suggested I get in contact with another company as they weren't able to complete the mobile scanning that would be needed around sections of the Mountain Course.  I too thought that the figure given was extremely competitive, so I didn't hesitate in asking them for an official quotation, which is in the works as we speak.

I appreciate that this is might look as though it will step on the toes of projects such as yours, but unless you plan on using obscure or proprietary tools, your track will almost certainly be ported to other titles within a month of its release.  Having the data & funding crowd sourced, will simply save you the costs of developing for other titles, so I hope you can sort of see how this project will be to your benefit.  If you believe it is, then I'd really appreciate the input from actual developers such as yourself.

You're unlikely to lose custom if you're providing a full TT experience - http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/would-you-be-interested-in-a-laser-scanned-isle-of-man-tt.120475/ - Open source & modding is not to everyone's taste, there are plenty of people who want a fully-baked, plug & play solution.  PlayStation & XBox sales should be proof enough of that. :)

As to whether or not the company can supply a mesh, this is something I'll have to ask them during office hours, but from what I've been reading it should be fairly trivial for any potential track builders to create their own mesh in their preferred format, with their preferred tools.  Supplying a cloud rather than a mesh should will also allow builders to remove anomalies from the scan, such as the inevitable traffic, withou having to pay for the scanning company to do it before building a mesh.

Hope this clears up what you needed,

Best
SM

Could you please write what do you plan to give as reward to the Kickstarter campaign backers?
What makes you think that someone would donate to laser scan the Mountain Course without the direct support of a developer / modder with the time and skills to actually model and texture the whole circuit? Also, please note that not all simulators / games may be capable of loading a 60km track.

It is not trivial at all to convert several gigabytes of point cloud to a usable mesh. It may be doable for the track maker, but for sure the laser scanning companies have the software, hardware and experience to do a much better and faster job.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".