• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:51:10 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Isle Of Man

Started by Reactive, December 26, 2013, 11:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 15, 2016, 12:16:18 PM
Quote from: Grooveski on April 15, 2016, 11:33:02 AM
Nope. 

When I read Max's post about the .tcl being a text file I just assumed it'd be a series of x,y,z's.  The sensible move would have been to open one and look but tanked up at midnight I guess sensible was in short supply.  :-[
I see now that what I posted is no use to man nor beast.  My bad, sorry!
It's not a series of x,y,z. It's essentially a sequence of segments, where each segment has a starting point, a type (straight or arc) and some properties (length for a straight, radius and angle for arcs, and a starting height for both types).

I had a look the .tcl file in notepad..... It wouldn't be practically possible to actually place a CL segment by editing that file manually but it probably would be possible to edit the lining-up of the CL already placed in TrackED if anyone wanted to have the CL dead-centre to the track. That's they way I see it from the information for each centreline segment.

Hawk.

HornetMaX

To pan (move) the centerline around, just edit the X,Y of the staring point of the 1st segment. That's all (nice, isn't it ?).

To scale the centerline: for straight segments, multiply the "length" by the scale factor. For arc segments, multiply the radius by the scale factor. If you need to scale the Z axis (height), multiply the height of each segment (straights and arcs) by the scale factor.

I can do these very easily (a spreadsheet is more than enough).

But again: in general you don't need the centerline to be dead-centre to the track. It's not absolutely necessary.
If you want to use a "centerline" to build the track from it however, that's a different story. Notice however you;'ll have the same problem with GPS data: I doubt people were riding/driving on the dead-center of the road when they took the data ...

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 15, 2016, 02:36:32 PM
To pan (move) the centerline around, just edit the X,Y of the staring point of the 1st segment. That's all (nice, isn't it ?).

To scale the centerline: for straight segments, multiply the "length" by the scale factor. For arc segments, multiply the radius by the scale factor. If you need to scale the Z axis (height), multiply the height of each segment (straights and arcs) by the scale factor.

I can do these very easily (a spreadsheet is more than enough).

But again: in general you don't need the centerline to be dead-centre to the track. It's not absolutely necessary.
If you want to use a "centerline" to build the track from it however, that's a different story. Notice however you;'ll have the same problem with GPS data: I doubt people were riding/driving on the dead-center of the road when they took the data ...

Well that is true that you don't need to have the centreline exactly centre of the track in TrackED but at the same time it's not good to have the centreline going all over the place either? I presume the best-line feature is taken from the centreline placement for example? Also the corner anticipation too? So I presume it's better to at least have the centreline as close to centre of the track surface as possible.  :)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on April 15, 2016, 03:08:09 PM
Well that is true that you don't need to have the centreline exactly centre of the track in TrackED but at the same time it's not good to have the centreline going all over the place either? I presume the best-line feature is taken from the centreline placement for example? Also the corner anticipation too? So I presume it's better to at least have the centreline as close to centre of the track surface as possible.  :)
Th ebest line is separate from the centerline as far as I know. Anyway, who uses the best line stuff ? :)
I don't know if corner anticipation uses the centerline or not. It's possible. To me it wouldn't make a lot of difference anyway (given the fov we typically use).

If you have a centerline that is decent (i.e. it stays on the track, without being dead center) just give it a try before spending hours in trying to dead-center it.

h106frp

I read somewhere that corner anticipation uses the 'best line info.

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on April 15, 2016, 04:51:29 PM

I presume the "Corner Anticipation" is to make the riders head look to the apex of the corners? I cannot see any other reason for it to be honest?  :-\

Hawk.

h106frp

I guess that it main use is to guide the camera rather than as a riding line

matty0l215

Quote from: janaucarre on April 14, 2016, 10:07:56 PM
For having a good base for the track size=>in the 3d software mesure the width of the track and change the scale to approach 8meters, after that export,  make the centerline and rescale with the length of this one to obtainthe right length of the track
Have you tried to use the centerline i made and posted on the 4th page of this thread?

Your files aren't on Mega anymore mate   :o :P
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on April 15, 2016, 06:03:17 PM
Quote from: h106frp on April 15, 2016, 04:51:29 PM
I presume the "Corner Anticipation" is to make the riders head look to the apex of the corners?
Yes, that's it. Unless you're using head tracking (in which case you don't need corner anticipation).
An yes, it makes sense for corner anticipation to use the bestline instead of the centerline.

Hawk

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Matty created the CL for the IOM track surface. It's 925 segments in total and we get core.exe every time we try to load the track into GPB.

We double checked for errors and can find none. Reported the issue to Piboso on the Bugs report thread.

Hawk.

RiccoChicco

April 16, 2016, 09:58:05 PM #355 Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:59:54 PM by RiccoChicco
If I remember well, the centerline was supposed to be limited at 325 segments or it would result to a core.exe. PiBoSo told us he would increase the limit in the next beta (somethine like beta5), but I'm not sure it has been done. Maybe it comes from here.

EDIT : Shame on me, I just saw PiBoSo's answer  ;D

doubledragoncc

LOL Ricco this is being discussed in 3 separate threads at once lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE