• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:33:17 AM

Isle Of Man

Started by Reactive, December 26, 2013, 11:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFC

Quote from: LesNeilson on February 20, 2017, 07:36:39 PM
I should say that they're all still work in progress. I've only recently figured out a good method of generating these and I'm learning as I go. But these have all been produced in the space of a week or so, so the process is pretty productive so far

Do share.. We could do with a universal objects repository for both gpb and mxb modders. Trees have been the stumbling block for most people who choose to settle for awful 2d attempts with alpha clip / bleed issues. Would love to see what you've come up with..

Urban Chaos 2.0

Quote from: TheFatController on February 20, 2017, 09:04:09 PM
Do share.. We could do with a universal objects repository for both gpb and mxb modders. Trees have been the stumbling block for most people who choose to settle for awful 2d attempts with alpha clip / bleed issues. Would love to see what you've come up with..

Certainly. Somebody does need to create a topic strictly for acquiring a large pool of track assets like trees, buildings, cars, etc.

LesNeilson

I haven't tried much yet with transparent parts. My first experiment with a tree didn't work out well. I've only discovered that faces need to be double sided, or else only one is visible. Plus the alpha blending part needs some figuring out to work well. I may have another go at it later.

I do my object building in Sketchup, which I know some people look down on, but it's very easy to use. Once you have a texture sheet made up with everything you need to cover the structure, building the structure itself is very quick to do

TFC

Quote from: LesNeilson on February 20, 2017, 10:08:43 PM
I haven't tried much yet with transparent parts. My first experiment with a tree didn't work out well. I've only discovered that faces need to be double sided, or else only one is visible. Plus the alpha blending part needs some figuring out to work well. I may have another go at it later.

I do my object building in Sketchup, which I know some people look down on, but it's very easy to use. Once you have a texture sheet made up with everything you need to cover the structure, building the structure itself is very quick to do

I only look down on SU because I'm a former user. I used it for a long time, struggling. Once you know the basics of something like blender, it's liberating.

Anyway, AFAIK you can't fix the alpha bleeding issue in SU, I tried for two years on and off.. Good luck though. I've just about managed to fix it in Blender, at least to the point where is barely noticeable.

Anyway, sorry to derail the topic!

LesNeilson

I've managed something that looks much better than before, at least in Race Track Builder. I'll try it out tomorrow in Assetto Corsa. But it's still over complicated the way I've done it. I'll try to simplify it and see if it works. I've attached a zip if it's of any interest

TFC

I'd love to check it out, but unfortunately Blender can't import ASCII FBX files, they need to be binary. Maybe we should start another topic for track objects ;)

Hawk

Quote from: TheFatController on February 21, 2017, 09:08:35 AM
I'd love to check it out, but unfortunately Blender can't import ASCII FBX files, they need to be binary. Maybe we should start another topic for track objects ;)

Autodesk have a standalone FBX Converter that will convert an ASCII FBX File to a binary FBX file and vice versa, if that would be handy for you mate.  ;)

Hawk.

LesNeilson

Easier if I export in a different format, perhaps. What would suit better (other than binary fbx)?

And I agree about a new Track Object Creation thread

Les

Urban Chaos 2.0

Quote from: LesNeilson on February 21, 2017, 09:41:53 AM
Easier if I export in a different format, perhaps. What would suit better (other than binary fbx)?

Les

Anyone care to start one? GP Bikes could use such a database.

Hawk

Quote from: LesNeilson on February 21, 2017, 09:41:53 AM

Les

Binary FBX with embedded media is the best all round file format for interpolation into a wide variety of 3D apps in my opinion Les..... I cannot think of a better format for 3D app interpolation to be honest; FBX is the known industry standard all-rounder format, so to speak.  :)

Hawk.

TFC

If someone wants to maintain one here, I will maintain one over on the MXB board. That way we can copy each other's latest additions and it's twice the input from contributors.

I recommend starting a thread asking people to provide objects in a set format as hawk says via posting. We can copy each posts link and preview image (provided as a link to save list space) into the first post and organise it into categories like 'trees', 'buildings', 'barriers', stands' etc..

Sound good? Whoever fancies taking on the task feel free to PM me and we can discuss the rest :)

LesNeilson

Anyone have a download link for the Autodesk fbx converter? I can't find a working one...

Hawk

Quote from: LesNeilson on February 22, 2017, 11:39:47 PM
Anyone have a download link for the Autodesk fbx converter? I can't find a working one...

Here you go Les.  ;)

Latest Converter Direct Link(Converters after 2013 are now integrated into Autodesk products): http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909

List of Converter versions to choose from: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775920

Hawk.

LesNeilson

Both of the links give me 404 not found...

Hawk

Quote from: LesNeilson on February 23, 2017, 06:12:53 PM
Both of the links give me 404 not found...

Really? That's strange....... I'll upload a version to MEGA and post a download link.  ;)

Hawk.