• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:51 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Hawk's rant

Started by Hawk, September 14, 2018, 09:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

September 14, 2018, 08:29:27 PM #15 Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:26:48 PM by PiBoSo
Bison160 offered to create a mod for WRS, but needs some improvements, that were already planned but so far routinely postponed.
This is probably the last train for WRS, even if it's only used by three persons. I prefer two than none.

At the moment the very, VERY rough plan is:
release a KRP update tomorrow
release a WRS  update later this month
release an MXB update early next month
release a GPB and another WRS ( with heats support ) update in october
no-stop until MXB will be on Steam

All of this while trying ( and mostly failing  :-[ ) to reply to the endless stream of emails, messages and private messages ( from four different forums ).

Hopefully at the end of this tour de force there will finally be time for tools and documentation.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

connorhall70

Quote from: Hawk on September 14, 2018, 09:05:03 AM
Quote from: davidboda46 on September 13, 2018, 07:29:08 PM
Are any of you wizards (modders) working on an update on the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli circuit? The one that exists in the Track Database is based on the old layout with the chicane (when it also went in the other direction) and the version that we have now that goes in the current direction has the track markers (corner signs) turned the wrong way.

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46

Personally speaking, I've stopped doing any mod-work until Piboso updates/develops his export Mod-tools to work as they should work with the products we can produce direct from professional 3D apps..... When that is done(if it ever will be) then I'll be back modding for GPB again...... Just so much potential that is sadly being held back by apparent bad development priority decisions by Piboso in my opinion. Modding is the life-blood of Piboso's projects and yet the modding tool development apparently is being grossly neglected right now..... It's sad.  :(

Maybe Piboso has his good reasons for not developing the MOD-export tools further right now? I don't know because he doesn't tell us these things, so I can only come to the conclusion I have stated above.  :)

Hopefully Piboso could enlighten us to his reasons and  future intentions/plans for these tools with some kind of approx timeline for any improvement release?

::)
GanjaGod

tirespin24

Quote from: Hawk on September 14, 2018, 06:19:50 PM
Quote from: tirespin24 on September 14, 2018, 05:28:07 PM
Well I would be good with all of this if I was to get a refund for WRS because I didn't get it free for buying GBP bikes. It was the other way around. WRS being a byproduct of GBP Bikes explains the waste of time on the asphalt cars. WRS had a lot of potential of doing many different types of dirt series and not just oval cars. As far as updates go, WRS hasn't had a real update in a very long time. It still doesn't even have the heat races that were talked about over a year ago.

My apologies and I stand corrected in that there are also those that also just bought WRS and got the free key for GPB; I didn't realise that was the case. ;)

No offence intended to Piboso or yourself Tirespin, but what the heck are you so concerned about WRS for when you have the likes of rFactor 2 or similar at your disposal? Hard to understand that one.  ???

I agree Hawk that rFactor 2 is the way to go for asphalt racing and mods. I am the last name mentioned in rFactor 2 credits. I planned on doing some asphalt mods when rFactor 2 was released but I got very sick. However it isn't very good for dirt! It suffers from the same problem that iracing has. The driving lines are predetermined. Track progression is triggered (fake). We can drive a high line all race but yet the bottom is what gets slick. Neither of them do a very good job of creating the ruts that are made when driving on dirt either.

Hawk

Quote from: tirespin24 on September 16, 2018, 12:44:25 PM
Quote from: Hawk on September 14, 2018, 06:19:50 PM
Quote from: tirespin24 on September 14, 2018, 05:28:07 PM
Well I would be good with all of this if I was to get a refund for WRS because I didn't get it free for buying GBP bikes. It was the other way around. WRS being a byproduct of GBP Bikes explains the waste of time on the asphalt cars. WRS had a lot of potential of doing many different types of dirt series and not just oval cars. As far as updates go, WRS hasn't had a real update in a very long time. It still doesn't even have the heat races that were talked about over a year ago.

My apologies and I stand corrected in that there are also those that also just bought WRS and got the free key for GPB; I didn't realise that was the case. ;)

No offence intended to Piboso or yourself Tirespin, but what the heck are you so concerned about WRS for when you have the likes of rFactor 2 or similar at your disposal? Hard to understand that one.  ???

I agree Hawk that rFactor 2 is the way to go for asphalt racing and mods. I am the last name mentioned in rFactor 2 credits. I planned on doing some asphalt mods when rFactor 2 was released but I got very sick. However it isn't very good for dirt! It suffers from the same problem that iracing has. The driving lines are predetermined. Track progression is triggered (fake). We can drive a high line all race but yet the bottom is what gets slick. Neither of them do a very good job of creating the ruts that are made when driving on dirt either.

I'm sure Studio397 will get around to sorting out any issues they have with the dirt racing side of rFactor 2 as soon as they have finished polishing the recent conversion to DX11..... They have done an amazing job so far with rFactor 2, I'm sure you'd agree, with the very professional way they deal with the development itself, regular updates, content and their customers I'm sure they'll get around to sorting those dirt track issues you mentioned at some stage in their plans, especially if the community make a strong call for it.  ;)

Personally speaking, I'm so impressed with what Studio 397 have achieved so far with rFactor 2 and their business model.... I can only see rFactor 2 going from strength to strength despite many claiming it was a dead product a couple of years ago now..... Just goes to show that things can be sorted out with products that have great potential if the will is there to do it and they are willing to produce what the fans want. :)

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk on September 16, 2018, 01:53:43 PM
I'm sure Studio397 will get around to sorting out any issues they have with the dirt racing side of rFactor 2 as soon as they have finished polishing the recent conversion to DX11..... They have done an amazing job so far with rFactor 2, I'm sure you'd agree, with the very professional way they deal with the development itself, regular updates, content and their customers I'm sure they'll get around to sorting those dirt track issues you mentioned at some stage in their plans, especially if the community make a strong call for it.  ;)

LOL

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on September 16, 2018, 08:25:03 PM

LOL

Haha! If your laughing at that statement then you obviously haven't been following what's been happening at Studio 397 lately, Piboso??  Which to be honest I find hard to believe. :P ;D

PiBoSo

September 16, 2018, 09:54:28 PM #21 Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:02:23 PM by PiBoSo
Quote from: Hawk on September 16, 2018, 08:39:55 PM

LOL

Haha! If your laughing at that statement then you obviously haven't been following what's been happening at Studio 397 lately, Piboso??  Which to be honest I find hard to believe. :P ;D

If you say so. Waiting for the announcement of their fully dynamic deformable terrain. Any minute now  ;)

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on September 16, 2018, 09:54:28 PM
Quote from: Hawk on September 16, 2018, 08:39:55 PM

LOL

If you say so. Waiting for the announcement of their fully dynamic deformable terrain. Any minute now  ;)

So that's what you were laughing at. Lol  ;D
Well, I'm sure it won't be anytime soon cause they are busy with other things, but don't be surprised if this time next year they'll have sorted that out or at least working on adding that capability. The shear attention to detail on all their other work to date surely indicates that they won't leave the dirt track side of things half done.... But if there is a call for it then they'll get it all sorted I'm sure of it.  ;)

You must admit though Piboso, the work Studio 397 have done with rFactor 2 since they took it on is very good indeed and improving in leaps and bounds now from what it was 2 years ago?

Phathry25

That's all fine and dandy.  They have not ever shown any interest in dirt racing though.  PiBoSo's system is better anyways, and has loads more potential anyways.  As far as the track side of the game what WRS offers is far better than anything iRacing or rFactor 2 have shown so far.  That's why its the option being pursued.

Stout Johnson

September 17, 2018, 07:33:36 AM #24 Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:36:49 AM by Stout Johnson
Quote from: Phathry25 on September 16, 2018, 11:37:56 PM
That's all fine and dandy.  They have not ever shown any interest in dirt racing though.  PiBoSo's system is better anyways, and has loads more potential anyways.  As far as the track side of the game what WRS offers is far better than anything iRacing or rFactor 2 have shown so far.  That's why its the option being pursued.
I think you are both right. rFactor 2 is generally the sim to go with and they have come a long way - from a great sim with lack of appeal to a even better sim with also a great presentation. But in terms of dirt WRS is unmatched yet and it has great potential. In oval dirt racing and everything concerned Rally and Rallycross WRS has a shitload of potential customers. Both are niche markets but still could reach a fair amount of sim lovers. In terms of Rally, simmers still use Richard Burns Rally (which is from friggin 2004!) but it is really becoming very out-dated. WRS could be huge if it could be the mod-basis for the Rally Sim lovers, but WRS lacks rally content/mods at the moment, which is so sad. :-\

Quote from: PiBoSo on September 14, 2018, 08:29:27 PM
All of this while trying ( and mostly failing  :-[ ) to reply to the endless stream of emails, messages and private messages ( from four different forums ).

Hopefully at the end of this tour de force there will finally be time for tools and documentation.
Considering how time consuming all these administrative tasks are, maybe you should consider out-sourcing the communicative tasks to someone who is willing to help you in this matter. Maybe a trusted moderator of this forum could volunteer to support you in this matter, so you have more time focussing on your main tasks? It is absolutely insane to have the brain of your small company (you) do these tasks when time is that scarce. Give out general guidelines for your communication and let the general communication be done by someone else, you doing only the important ones that can not be delegated.

In terms of (lack of) documentation of your sims and (lack of) documentation of your mod tools, you should really force yourself to do these things "on the fly" (while developping/altering stuff). In that way, you would have a very manageable workload every day (I would estimate 15-30mins) to keep your documentation up-to-date. If avoiding these tasks on a regular basis, it will come back to haunt you in the long run.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

PiBoSo

PiBoSo

September 17, 2018, 07:35:26 PM #26 Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:49:03 PM by PiBoSo
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/sim-racing-expo-2018-day-1-in-review.159452/page-5#post-2830226

;D

So, to recap: I work alone on four projects and Hawk blames the poor tools. Meanwhile his favourite sim, developed by a full studio focusing on one software only, ...
Oh the humanity!  :P

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

PiBoSo

To be clear: not trying to defend the GPB modding tools and documentation...
Just having fun with the irony of citing as reference a development studio that is actually severely lacking  ;D

matty0l215

Okay, let's start with something.

What documentation, if any, do you have?

Anything is better than what we currently have. I am working on a Wiki so anything from your end would be a massive help.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE