• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:16:10 AM

Why GP Bikes is good

Started by HornetMaX, January 27, 2014, 11:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Easy, because no other game can do that:

http://www.youtube.com/v/u5BjxZBUFHQhttp://www.youtube.com/v/PkHERCYZ6Oo

Obtaining the above behaviors without any canned animation (e.g. the high-sides in MotoGP 13) is just freakin' amazing !

@Piboso: YOU.RULE.MAN.     (yeah, no big news here)

And now, a quiz for physics modders: somebody able to explain why, in the 2nd video (where I intentionally keep the throttle open while braking with the front) the rear wheel hops ?

You get it wrong and you'll only be allowed to mod scooters and choppers :)

MaX.

Hawk

Can't explain in physics language what is going off there, but I'd have thought if you hold the front brake hard on like that while opening the throttle at that slow speed the rear wheel would just spin up and not hop about like a dancing spring... That's just too weird! Lol

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 28, 2014, 02:03:51 AM
Can't explain in physics language what is going off there, but I'd have thought if you hold the front brake hard on like that while opening the throttle at that slow speed the rear wheel would just spin up and not hop about like a dancing spring... That's just too weird! Lol
Well, that would be true if the bike was stopped, like doing a burn-out. When the bike is moving it's a tad trickier :)

GPB behavior is correct. Hopping of the rear also happen, for example, when braking hard with the front and downshifting hard or braking with the rear. See this at 0:39s on this video (thanks Dani):

http://www.youtube.com/v/huGexZrovco

Actually, this hoping of the rear while braking (or, worse, total rear lock-up) is the reason for the existence of slipper clutches.
The reason for the hopping (its origin) is actually the same in the two situations.

MaX.

Hawk

Yes. I can see your point and the hopping rear wheel in the video(Great video by the way!). Can this happen with two strokes? I mainly only ride the two stroke machines so I can't remember every encountering this issue.  :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 28, 2014, 08:10:15 PM
Yes. I can see your point and the hopping rear wheel in the video(Great video by the way!). Can this happen with two strokes? I mainly only ride the two stroke machines so I can't remember every encountering this issue.  :)
With 2 strokes hopping while braking won't happen because of the lack of engine brake.

However the "intentional" hopping (braking with front and opening throttle at the same time) happens just the same: it's a bit trickier to show due to the narrow powerband and the lack of power outside it.

MaX.

HornetMaX

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 27, 2014, 11:31:28 PM
And now, a quiz for physics modders: somebody able to explain why, in the 2nd video (where I intentionally keep the throttle open while braking with the front) the rear wheel hops ?

You get it wrong and you'll only be allowed to mod scooters and choppers :)
Hmm nobody replied, the punishment scared the hell of of everybody :)

So why it happens ... typically under acceleration the bike squats, i.e. it compress the rear suspension. This happens when the rear tire is exchanging a force with the track, pushing the bike forward.

If now you have the rear tire pushing the bike (and the suspension) and you brake with the front, at a given point the rear will slide (longitudinally): at this point the tire is no longer exchanging that much force with the ground, hence the suspension will extend. Then the real wheel will accelerate and reach a speed at which it will regain grip and will start again to exchange a force with the track, hence compressing again the suspension.
Repeated cycles of grip/no-grip (well, less grip) will produce the hopping: the transition grip/no-grip is so fast that the compression of the suspension can literally lift the rear wheel from the ground.

In the case of a hard braking with the front, things are made worse by the fact the rear has very little load (and the rear susp may be at its limit, fully extended): applying rear brake (or too much engine braking) can and will make it hop.

MaX.

iVolution

Yeah thats what I thought, just didn't want to spoil your little competition there  :P ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: iVolution on February 04, 2014, 04:51:12 PM
Yeah thats what I thought, just didn't want to spoil your little competition there  :P ;)
Yeah sure ... chicken !  ;D

MaX.

Reactive

February 04, 2014, 06:32:22 PM #8 Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:37:06 PM by Reactive
Quotebecause no other game can do that
Is it so necessary?

But most of the screenshots looks like PSOne graphic from childhood it is Ok, right?
Excuse my English, its not my native.
Ryzen7 1800x / Aorus GA-AX370 Gaming K7 / Hynix 16Gb x2 2993MHz / Samsung 960PRO 512 M.2 / nVidia GTX1060 6Gb / Windows 10 pro x64

PiBoSo

Quote from: Reactive on February 04, 2014, 06:32:22 PM
Is it so necessary?

But most of the screenshots looks like PSOne graphic from childhood it is Ok, right?

Ouch!  :'(

"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

_oDi_

Is it so necessary?

Alby46

Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

HornetMaX

Is it so necessary?
Yes, it is.

Yes, it is.

Actually it is not, as your statement is false. But even if it were true, the answer would be "Yes, it is.".

The reason is that most of us do not have an orgasm when they see some HDR or lens flare (fake, 99% of the time).
But we do have one when the bike behave as above.

MaX.

P.S.
If you ever manage to finish the TT (titanic work, hats down just for trying) we'll race on it with or without HDR & tuttifrutti, don't worry about that.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 04, 2014, 08:35:03 PM
The reason is that most of us do not have an orgasm when they see some HDR or lens flare (fake, 99% of the time).
But we do have one when the bike behave as above.

THAT is so true!

(and btw, GPB graphics aren't bad - not top notch, admitted - but that's not the essence of a sim...)
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Arvoss

Is it so necessary?

Wait until you see Suzuka! :o With the new Suzuki it is awesome! Amazing graphics! :D