• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Adjustable Steering Dampers

Started by Myst1cPrun3, October 12, 2019, 05:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst1cPrun3

Following quite a 'Heated' discussion  on the GP Bikes discord, that involved a lot of toys being thrown out of a lot of prams, It came to my attention that GP Bikes does not have a manually adjustable steering damper.

This for me is perhaps one of the Largest issues with GP Bikes, as depending on your riding style, its value can be subjective to each person, and having a set value per mod bike can cause issues where one person can ride fine, but the next crashes at every point.

(This was the issue on the discord regarding a WIP mod, and like I said it got quite heated, and could have been avoided with an adjustable steering damper value in the Games 'Garage' area)

As for why this isn't in GP Bikes is beyond me, as it is virtually a necessity of all modern racing, and now road, motorcycles, and has been used since way before GP Bikes was considered for development.

It would allow people to have each mod more customised for their riding style, and eliminate most issues regarding the 'front end wobble' that seems common in this beta.

The M2 bike even has one on its 3D model so why its not simulated I have no Idea.

Vini

+1
And keep it simple. Just pass the garage-defined setting through as the "damper" value that is currently hardcoded in the bike CFG. No extra work necessary.

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Vini on October 12, 2019, 06:04:55 PM+1
And keep it simple. Just pass the garage-defined setting through as the "damper" value that is currently hardcoded in the bike CFG. No extra work necessary.

Yep. And that's the bit that gets me. Its already there, coded in with values correctly assigned. Why is it not in the Garage. Maybe even have modders choose whether to use an adjustable steering damper or not, but even so.. The code is there.

Tosteetos

+1 This was suggested a long time ago. Beyond me why isn't this available for user adjustability yet. 

Mimo750

I agree that this should be implemented in the game as its a common thing nowdays irl racing bikes and not only. +1 from me as well.

Tom HWK

October 13, 2019, 12:40:13 PM #6 Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 12:42:39 PM by Tom HWK
+1 It is without a doubt the most important thing you could add, especially considering the virtual rider isn't great.

Also in terms of adjustability I believe being able to set your own on board camera positions would be a great addition too.

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Tom HWK on October 13, 2019, 12:40:13 PM+1 It is without a doubt the most important thing you could add, especially considering the virtual rider isn't great.

Also in terms of adjustability I believe being able to set your own on board camera positions would be a great addition too.

On board in replays or in game?
As in replays you can in the camera cfg

Myst1cPrun3

If it was me I'd put it a little higher up on the list of things to get done, as all the code is there, just need the menu buttons.

But not my call sadly.

Tom HWK

Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on October 13, 2019, 02:14:56 PM
Quote from: Tom HWK on October 13, 2019, 12:40:13 PM+1 It is without a doubt the most important thing you could add, especially considering the virtual rider isn't great.

On board in replays or in game?
As in replays you can in the camera cfg

on board as in on the bike in 1st person, every mod bike is different and none of them feel natural to me, i spend ages moving the position on car games to get comfortable. wish there was a helmet cam in replays like mx bikes...

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Tom HWK on October 13, 2019, 04:25:12 PMon board as in on the bike in 1st person, every mod bike is different and none of them feel natural to me, i spend ages moving the position on car games to get comfortable. wish there was a helmet cam in replays like mx bikes...

Playing both with TrackIR initially and now VR, I can't say I've had an issue with this, as I can just re-center my position until I find something I like. But for those who can't it would be good to have this option.

JohnnoNinja

Would a steering damper also help in slow and bumpy corners, for example first corner and last chicane at Spa? I wonder if the virtual rider wouldn't be tense on the handle bars, a bike would be able to roll better through those corners? Maybe a steering damper would help the virtual rider with that?

And I agree with Tom that it would be nice to be able to adjust the 1st person camera with some buttons or sliders...

And it would also be nice if the dashboard would work in replays:)

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: JohnnoNinja on October 13, 2019, 08:56:28 PMWould a steering damper also help in slow and bumpy corners, for example first corner and last chicane at Spa? I wonder if the virtual rider wouldn't be tense on the handle bars, a bike would be able to roll better through those corners? Maybe a steering damper would help the virtual rider with that?

Adjustable steering damper would allow fine tuning of the front end, to reduce the front end wobble, particularly at low speeds, and when the front touches the ground again on a wheelie. (Noticeable on more powerful machines like Superbikes and GP machines)

It would also allow it to be user related, (Its fixed per bike atm), as we all have different control inputs, and as a result ride the bikes differently, and expose ourselves to different bugs or little issues with certain bikes. Just allows more tunability to combat the tenseness of the Virtual Rider.

Not to mention the fact its a major part of any modern motorcycle, even road bikes come standard with one to some degree!

Quote from: JohnnoNinja on October 13, 2019, 08:56:28 PMAnd I agree with Tom that it would be nice to be able to adjust the 1st person camera with some buttons or sliders...

Would be nice. It is possible to do this in the files, but I think it then prevents you from joining online due to mismatches. (Thinks your cheating)

I'll post a new suggestion thread on it but I think there already is one somewhere.

Quote from: JohnnoNinja on October 13, 2019, 08:56:28 PMAnd it would also be nice if the dashboard would work in replays:)

Would be nice. I have to use MaxHUD in replays, and overlay that on the dash to get a semblance of a working dash.

Again I'll post a new suggestion thread on it but I think there already is one somewhere.

Myst1cPrun3

doubledragoncc

I just put a damper on my system and dont need a software fix its all down to weight of user and how they use it and can be adjusted on the fly

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.