• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:02:46 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Updating GP-Bikes

Started by username, May 15, 2014, 07:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

username

May 15, 2014, 07:24:13 PM Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:50:58 PM by username
Hello all,

I recently inquired as to the possibility of updating the entire GP-Bikes Graphics package. I specialize in 3d art, and want to update  the engine to support better shaders, and the overall graphical look and feel of the game. For those of you who have a powerful PC like myself I want to make the game look as good as it handles. I have sent an E-mail to support inquiring about this but have not heard back from them. So now I am posting to see if anyone on these forums would be interested in a graphical overhaul of this game.

I will be back on these forums in a few days to see if anyone would know the proper procedure for me to take to make this happen...

(UPDATE)I will be updating this post as I add more stuff while at work...(UPDATE)

Not to get into too many specifics but I would be interested in the following...

Updating the Track's/Bikes/Maps to support Normal maps / Height Maps / Bump Maps

Maybe even adding some tessellation Features(DX11), As well as particle effects for the sparks, smoke, rain (Puddles and on the motorcycle)

This is the difference between a bump map and none

These wet shaders would be a nice addition to the updates for wet races.

Imagine having the different texture properties to identify between metal and plastics on your CBR1000

Arvoss

Today Max started a interesting topic.
http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1086

The developer is working on a 'Graphical Update'. You can test it by adding a line of code in your core.ini. I don't think you can mod the variables atm. :/

username

May 15, 2014, 07:59:13 PM #2 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:01:19 PM by username
Quote from: Arvoss on May 15, 2014, 07:44:02 PM
Today Max started a interesting topic.
http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1086

The developer is working on a 'Graphical Update'. You can test it by adding a line of code in your core.ini. I don't think you can mod the variables atm. :/

HDR is only one aspect of adding effects to the engine. You can always mod anything as long as you have access to the engine the game run's on. I want to work with the team to develop this game to look amazing. The only reason I would like to take this on is because I have a deep passion with motorcycle racing an would love to contribute.

Obviously this game shines on the Physics side, but the looks leave something to be desired. I just want to use my tools to make this game better, and modding a .ini file would be something that doesn't touch the tip of what i want to do to this game.

Alby46

graphics engine is written in opengl
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

username

May 15, 2014, 08:15:54 PM #4 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:23:21 PM by username
Quote from: Alby46 on May 15, 2014, 08:09:23 PM
graphics engine is written in opengl

I figured the engine was on OpenGL, are you guys in the process of stepping it up to the latest iteration of OpenGL? Or moving to another engine Unity? Unreal? I just want  to start make this game look better.

Even if the game is in OpenGl we still can do Normal/Bump maps And add allot more detail ie(Grass, Updated shadows, Higher res textures, Updated shaders) depending on the OpenGl version support.

Amd now supports OpenGl 4.4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7955/amd-posts-catalyst-144-release-candidate-drivers

Nvidia OpenGL 4.4 support drivers

https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver

HornetMaX

I confirm that this game uses no Direct-X, it's on openGL and on a completely proprietary engine (I doubt there's any plan to move to DX or a third-party engine).

Also, you're essentially asking to be integrated into the development team: that's a high call, even more within the context of GPB small dev team.

The general position is however that we all reckon GPB is not graphically top notch (gentle wording), but at the same time it's not seen as a huge huge issue by most, as its focus is on the physics side. That said, some eye-candy wouldn't hurt :)

Anyway, hopefully the boss will come back to you with his point of view on the subject.

MaX.

Arvoss

I don't think PiBoSo would ever let somebody touch his baby :/ Because I assume that you would need the source code to change the graphics?
For me, GP Bikes looks good as it is now. Tracks like Suzuka are just beautiful. :D

username

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 15, 2014, 08:18:47 PM
I confirm that this game uses no Direct-X, it's on openGL and on a completely proprietary engine (I doubt there's any plan to move to DX or a third-party engine).

Also, you're essentially asking to be integrated into the development team: that's a high call, even more within the context of GPB small dev team.

The general position is however that we all reckon GPB is not graphically top notch (gentle wording), but at the same time it's not seen as a huge huge issue by most, as its focus is on the physics side. That said, some eye-candy wouldn't hurt :)

Anyway, hopefully the boss will come back to you with his point of view on the subject.

MaX.

I figured since they were all working on the physics aspect of the game and not the graphics they could use someone with that very talent.  However they would like to make that possible would be good for me (although if they made it easier than harder that wouldn't hurt).

username

Quote from: Arvoss on May 15, 2014, 08:18:58 PM
I don't think PiBoSo would ever let somebody touch his baby :/ Because I assume that you would need the source code to change the graphics?
For me, GP Bikes looks good as it is now. Tracks like Suzuka are just beautiful. :D

Not really the source code but access to the asset's, and the engine. The just some time to implement some magic and make the game look better. For you the game may look good, but to others the game might look a little dated. Why pass up on a chance to get something better for nothing? And the difference between proper / non proper graphics can be shown in these pictures. This is what a few tweaks can do to a game that's already out.

This game is Minecraft for those of you who don't game much(No offense to everyone)
These are the differences between stock and custom shaders.

WITH PROPER SHADERS

WITH STOCK SHADERS

PiBoSo

Quote from: username on May 15, 2014, 07:24:13 PM
Updating the Track's/Bikes/Maps to support Normal maps / Height Maps / Bump Maps

GP Bikes does support normal maps, specular maps, reflection maps, environment maps, ... on bikes and tracks  ::)
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

username

May 15, 2014, 09:39:56 PM #10 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:49:31 PM by username
Quote from: PiBoSo on May 15, 2014, 09:29:26 PM

GP Bikes does support normal maps, specular maps, reflection maps, environment maps, ... on bikes and tracks  ::)

Hmmm. Well then I guess no one has been using them? And while normals are good I would love to get some bump / displacement maps on there...

Small details like tire tread  wear when the tires are starting to melt to proper temps would be nice

iVolution

May 15, 2014, 09:42:59 PM #11 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:46:58 PM by iVolution
This is probably the biggest issue for Piboso to decline the offer. As far as I can tell he is not really eager to accept help from others simply because the risk is high giving the source code to "random" people that offer to help. Let's face it, we are on the internet and it is hard to judge the real intentions that someone has, and the risk of that person running off with your code is a big one.

I really would like to see some graphics improvement since it would be a big attraction for new players. Better visuals would definitely attract loads of new players and that is what Piboso needs. Since Piboso is way to busy with other projects (with good reasons) I expect it is going to take a long while before any improvements are made on GPbikes, especially in the graphics department since it is not the main thing what this game is about.

This game would definitely benefit from people offering their expertise and free help just out of passion for the game but I am affraid we just have to sit this one out and hope Piboso will make some time free for finishing this project.

EDIT: Looks like the boss beat me to it.

username

May 15, 2014, 09:58:18 PM #12 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:00:15 PM by username
Quote from: iVolution on May 15, 2014, 09:42:59 PM
This is probably the biggest issue for Piboso to decline the offer. As far as I can tell he is not really eager to accept help from others simply because the risk is high giving the source code to "random" people that offer to help. Let's face it, we are on the internet and it is hard to judge the real intentions that someone has, and the risk of that person running off with your code is a big one.

I really would like to see some graphics improvement since it would be a big attraction for new players. Better visuals would definitely attract loads of new players and that is what Piboso needs. Since Piboso is way to busy with other projects (with good reasons) I expect it is going to take a long while before any improvements are made on GPbikes, especially in the graphics department since it is not the main thing what this game is about.

This game would definitely benefit from people offering their expertise and free help just out of passion for the game but I am affraid we just have to sit this one out and hope Piboso will make some time free for finishing this project.

EDIT: Looks like the boss beat me to it.

I have no worries over here... I just wanted to start another project very soon and this game came to mind because I have the skill-set, and the want to do so. I just got away from Unity, and started on Unreal Engine 4 and wanted to work on something not only that I am passionate about (Motorcycles), But something That could use my help. If they don't want me to help I'll just go back to working on my other projects I have lined up to set free from my mind. I recently purchased an AMD R9-290 and wanted to help because I can, now that I have the power for the Higher resolution graphics without making my PC sweat.  I know I would like to update the looks of the game, so will others. But If its too much of a problem I'll just stick to modding the bikes myself and showing the pretty pics to everyone.

PiBoSo

May 16, 2014, 08:55:08 AM #13 Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:58:26 AM by PiBoSo
Quote from: username on May 15, 2014, 09:39:56 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on May 15, 2014, 09:29:26 PM

Hmmm. Well then I guess no one has been using them? And while normals are good I would love to get some bump / displacement maps on there...

Small details like tire tread  wear when the tires are starting to melt to proper temps would be nice

Seriously... Have you ever started GP Bikes beta4?  ::)
Is this some kind of joke?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

camillozockt

what about motion blur ? is it hard to implement ?

this would be great and i think it also feels more realistic :D !!