• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:36:16 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Skeet skeet Brno 1000cc race

Started by Stout Johnson, August 12, 2014, 08:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dibu

Quote from: Stout Johnson on August 18, 2014, 09:26:55 AM
so if I set restart_delay = 0 --> wouldn't that be close to a force-export of results?

Not the best solution, people need some time until they complete their lap and return to the lobby also everybody wants to have at least a short look at the results
Best solutions is to disable polls.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: dibu on August 18, 2014, 09:59:24 AM
Quote from: Stout Johnson on August 18, 2014, 09:26:55 AM
so if I set restart_delay = 0 --> wouldn't that be close to a force-export of results?

Not the best solution, people need some time until they complete their lap and return to the lobby also everybody wants to have at least a short look at the results
Best solutions is to disable polls.

Ok thank you. Lesson learned for me :P
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Stout Johnson

Quote from: Stout Johnson on August 18, 2014, 07:56:06 AM
@all participants: Did someone save the replay and/or results? If so, can someone please upload it? It would be very much appreciated.
bump
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

LOOPATELI

I didn't save it as i think it will be saved by the server :( what a pity hope someone has save it
If not we have to repeat the race xD

nuovaic

I didn't save it either.
Yep, another race is the only solution!
At least this way we can see if the missed laps problem returns.

janaucarre

August 18, 2014, 12:39:16 PM #80 Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:41:45 PM by janaucarre
If a new race is organisated don't count me in.
It was good to do it but too tiring for me, and the problem of sound doesn't help me, when another rider is near me +/- 1 km  :) i don't know if he is 500m or 2m far from me.
Another problem is when i have a look rear me the arm is right in the middle of the screen.
Thank you.

Desteban

The race was hugh fun, the new Beta riding is besides the known problems very rewarding, thanks for the Event Stout!
Unfortunately I didn't save the replay. I thought, like everybody else, it is going to be saved by the server  :'(

On a different note at the start I couldn't here my bike at all. I think the M1 seems to be very slient in comparisson with the others.

I suggest we need the same sound level for each bike class, that would help a lot. Distinguishing between your bike and the others is still "nearly" impossible
at the start but a lot easier than when every bike has a different volume.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Desteban on August 18, 2014, 12:57:17 PM
I suggest we need the same sound level for each bike class, that would help a lot.
Very valid point indeed.

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 18, 2014, 01:34:39 PM
I suggest we need the same sound level for each bike class, that would help a lot.
Very valid point indeed.

MaX.

+1

I've mentioned this before, but what would also be a big help with this issue would be an ambient engine noise volume slider so that individual riders could tone down the volume of all the other engine noises; maybe also a volume slider for the riders own engine tone too would be a good idea to get the engine tones correct between ambient engine noise and rider engine noise.   :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on August 18, 2014, 02:38:19 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on August 18, 2014, 01:34:39 PM
Very valid point indeed.

MaX.

+1

I've mentioned this before, but what would also be a big help with this issue would be an ambient engine noise volume slider so that individual riders could tone down the volume of all the other engine noises; maybe also a volume slider for the riders own engine tone too would be a good idea to get the engine tones correct between ambient engine noise and rider engine noise.   :)
I'm less in favor of the ambient slider, simply on the principle that in reality you don't have it (but the suggestion is in the wishlist recap anyway  :-* ).

If it is proven that you don't hear your bike enough with respect to the others (I mean proven compared to reality), then Piboso should do something to fix that (not necessarily providing a slider).

Anybody with track experience can comment ? How much do you hear your own bike when in the middle of the grid ? How does GPB compare ?
[for comparison, it would be better to use only the default bikes, as mods may have different sound levels, as pointed out by desteban]

MaX.

Desteban

Never had any problems hearing my bike at the grid. Even though the other bikes are very loud, especially starting at 3 meters behind the exhaust, if you are besides another bike or further away you don't hear the other bike louder than your own.

That said I already was in a corner directly behind somebody and couldn't here my bike anymore but still knew where my rpms are due to the vibrations. Not sure how to
simulate that but that shows the effect of not hearing your bike certainly does occur. Just not at the Grid!

PeterV

Quote from: Stout Johnson on August 18, 2014, 10:03:41 AM
@all participants: Did someone save the replay and/or results? If so, can someone please upload it? It would be very much appreciated.

Quote from: LOOPATELI on August 18, 2014, 11:10:42 AM
I didn't save it as i think it will be saved by the server :( what a pity hope someone has save it
If not we have to repeat the race xD

Quote from: nuovaic on August 18, 2014, 12:16:33 PM
I didn't save it either.
Yep, another race is the only solution!
At least this way we can see if the missed laps problem returns.

Oke this has gone bad, can happen ofc.
Not a biggy, we can as already suggested do it over. We only need a date for the event.
Stout you got something in mind?

Quote from: dibu on August 18, 2014, 08:31:01 AM

In dedicated.ini it's possible to disable polls. If set to 1 only the admin is able to start a new session.

polls_disable = 1

The time the server waits until it writes the results/replay is defined here:

restart_delay = 360; = 6 minutes in your dedicated.ini

Maybe a bit long, I usually set it to 180 sec but it depends on your preferences.

It is on 360 cause this gives the riders change to read the results and brag about there performance.
If we all are japping away, then the 6 minutes are over before you know it.

And yes we can set poll on disable if you want Stout.

Warlock

Quote from: Desteban on August 18, 2014, 04:52:57 PM
Never had any problems hearing my bike at the grid. Even though the other bikes are very loud, especially starting at 3 meters behind the exhaust, if you are besides another bike or further away you don't hear the other bike louder than your own.

That said I already was in a corner directly behind somebody and couldn't here my bike anymore but still knew where my rpms are due to the vibrations. Not sure how to
simulate that but that shows the effect of not hearing your bike certainly does occur. Just not at the Grid!

Yes i agree, irl we have feedback from the bike not only the sound, enough to know exactly what your bike is doing. Always been a problem in GPB, where we don't have that extra feedback

Hawk

August 18, 2014, 07:15:13 PM #88 Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:17:31 PM by Hawk_UK
Try the 2 stroke bikes in GPB and you'll find the sound drowning problem is a lot worse.... I've heard a bike that I thought must be right behind me and yet he was at least nearly the length of the straight behind me... that's not real life.
I've raced bikes too(okay, be it many years ago in the 2 stroke era.), but I remember being able to hear my own bike on the grid and also when others are right next to you.

There is a limit to what you can have as reality in a PC sim for obvious reasons, especially lack of bike feedback like Warlock said, so implementing a utility that will allow for some very important feedback is just a workaround that must be taken in my opinion, be it true to reality or not.  :P :)

Hawk.

PS That is of course unless Piboso has an idea for fixing the sound issue in another way.  ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Desteban on August 18, 2014, 04:52:57 PM

OK, so it would seem that on the grid in GPB the other bikes are too loud but on the track they are fine ?
If others agree, it's probably worth a dedicated post (suggestions section, maybe even bugs).

Quote from: Hawk_UK on August 18, 2014, 07:15:13 PM
There is a limit to what you can have as reality in a PC sim for obvious reasons, especially lack of bike feedback like Warlock said, so implementing a utility that will allow for some very important feedback is just a workaround that must be taken in my opinion, be it true to reality or not.  :P :)
Well, that's the point where opinions seem to diverge: Piboso seems to make no concessions on that (i.e. no extra info, no matter how much sensorial stuff you don't have in GPB wrt real life). I'd tend to agree (personal opinion).

On the same line, it has been requested multiple times to use the rumble of the pads in order to have some additional feedback (on what not really sure). That too, I'm personally not a big fan.

MaX.