• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:36:41 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

It ain't pretty, but it works...

Started by davidboda46, October 08, 2014, 05:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidboda46

Well, I'm a bit Gonzo so what did you expect?  :P The monstrosity is: An old Sidewinder FF Wheel (USB) picked apart and re-used (wheel, piece of the pedal and the potentiometers), a half Logitech gamepad (just the analog stick - on the left handlebar for rider movement and looking around), an old bicycle handlebar and brake lever, a part of a moped throttle, a part of an old logitech wheel (throttle cover and more), a piece of board, two clamps, lots of bolts and some string (to stop the throttle from over rotating and also setting the zero point). Also, I use logitech g27 pedals, right pedal for rear brake, the two others for gears up and down... Mostly used old crap that was lying around so the total cost was about 25 dollars.

I use direct lean in the game, tried hardcore direct steering but that was too hard for me. Reversed steering input, meaning, I counter steer, but actually switch left to right and vica verca. Steering range reduced to -20/+20 in calibration. Just wish I could add throttle torque for standing the bike up out of the corners, without the direct steering "falling over every second thing".

Don't know how long it (the piece of crap) will hold but having fun with it at the moment. Hopefully it will last longer than it takes for Beta6 to be released.  ;D  It also worked surprisingly well with MX-bikes.   

CAM00179 by DavidB46, on Flickr
CAM00177 by DavidB46, on Flickr
CAM00178 by DavidB46, on Flickr
CAM00181 by DavidB46, on Flickr
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

WALKEN

Now gut a PS3 controller and use the sixaxis to lean left/right. Design a stand that will allow you to lean the wheel.  Follow me? 
Help me, help you!

Alby46

Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

Hawk

Well if it works it works and that's what matters. LOL

Well done mate for giving it a go... Wish I had the bits hanging around to do the same!  ;D 8)

Hawk.

davidboda46

Walken - The PS3 gyro is a bit hard to implement, at least for my engineering skills and tools.
Alby – Will post a video soon... just have to build something that can hold my phone in place while I'm racing  :P
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

davidboda46

I´m a bit all over the place, but it's Beta 5b so the front wheel just wants to get off the ground all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/v/jaZV97yd01M

girlracerTracey

October 14, 2014, 09:20:53 AM #6 Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:31:23 AM by girlracerTracey
Clearly like many Swedes you are slightly mad but then so am I so I feel qualified to talk to you about this ;D

I actually quite like it. Only thing I would say is that I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel sitting in front of me whilst I type mounted to my desk. The steering wheel not me that is..

Looking at it the "face" of the steering wheel is almost but not quite at an angle of 90 degrees to the desk. Maybe 70 degrees? In your pictures the angle of the "face" of what was the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel  seems much less, maybe only 20 to 25 degrees or something like that to the desk. My obvious thought is that if you could adjust the angle of the "face" of the wheel to be closer to say 70 degrees to the desk and graft on some shorter racing style handlebars maybe that might provide  a little bit more realism in that you would have the feeling of "leaning" more as opposed to turning the handlebars through a horizontal plane?  Just thinking aloud really.

So you use a set of pedals for gear changes?

Personally speaking I would be quite happy with a set-up like that.

As regards gyro effects and sitting on a "motorcycle" that actually leaned that is something really on a different level. Pretty complicated stuff. An improved "hang-on" experience in a manner of speaking. That would take an expert engineer to devise and would I think be very challenging and complicated to achieve. That's for the future really I think.

For the moment I would be quite happy with a modified set-up like yours David. Being slightly mad myself.

Only question as WALK3N states is manual rider movements but if you're not bothered about that I guess it's not a problem for you?

Keep up the good work!

grT  ;D

P.S. what's it like round the IOM TT track?

Hawk

Hi David.

I would be really interested how this set-up works with "DST" as used by Klax? Would it be easier to control using DST, or not, etc, etc? I personally would have thought that your setup would be ideal for use with DST, but without being able to test it then I wouldn't know for sure.  ;)

Nice work mate!  8) 8)

Hawk.

Klax75

DST you have to use manual rider movements. It doesn't work without them. At least left and right rider movement. Otherwise the rider does nothing and you'll crash. :/

davidboda46

October 14, 2014, 02:18:52 PM #9 Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:23:13 PM by davidboda46
Tracey - The angle is what it is. As you can see from the pics below, it was the easiest way to mount it on the desk (I do remove it when I need to write stuff  :P). Manual rider movement is possible with the left hand sticks, I tried it with DST but is too damn hard for me, maybe Klax would have far more success. And by the way, I lived in Sweden for a lot of years, but I'm actually born in Hungary  ;).

Made some small modifications. Plastic endings on the left analog sticks, the metal pricks were hurting my thumb  :o , the metal cylinder on the top helps keep it in place and also serves as a counter weight to the throttle side which was heavier. Also put a chain on the wheel to limit the steering range. Before it was very hard because I would constantly over steer and then it would take too long to find the spot when it starts steering again in the opposite direction.   

CAM00186 by DavidB46, on Flickr
CAM00188 by DavidB46, on Flickr
CAM00189 by DavidB46, on Flickr
CAM00190 by DavidB46, on Flickr

girlracerTracey

October 14, 2014, 04:42:03 PM #10 Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:10:30 PM by girlracerTracey
Yes I see now what you have done David. You have reversed the direction of the wheel and rotated it vertically through 90 degress before mounting it on your desk.

Standard mounting of the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel is as per the picture below.

This accounts for the discrepancy I was seeing in your photographs in the angle of the face of the steering wheel to the angle when the wheel is mounted conventionally. That confused me a bit I must admit.    ???

As I say David I like it. Also from the video it seems to work well.

Good for you. If you can do me one in pink I might be interested.  ;)

Are all Hungarians living in Sweden this crazy?  ;D

grT  :)

BOBR6 84

I thought you were using DST because I see counter steering!

If you made something that tilts left and right but also moves forward and backwards it would be interesting!

That way you could countersteer as well as lean (on your chair lol)

davidboda46

Quote from: girlracerTracey on October 14, 2014, 04:42:03 PM

Are all Hungarians living in Sweden this crazy?  ;D

grT  :)
I have only myself to compare to... so... Yes...  :o

davidboda46

Quote from: Hawk_UK on October 14, 2014, 09:44:48 AM
Hi David.

I would be really interested how this set-up works with "DST" as used by Klax? Would it be easier to control using DST, or not, etc, etc? I personally would have thought that your setup would be ideal for use with DST, but without being able to test it then I wouldn't know for sure.  ;)

Nice work mate!  8) 8)

Hawk.

I tried, but it's so damn hard with DST! Altough it felt a tad easier than with the 360 controller. But either way: went a couple pf meters, when I finally managed to get going without falling, and then, first corner=crash... try again... same result. Did this for a while, gave up, reversed left and right and now I'm counter steering "light" :)

doubledragoncc

October 15, 2014, 08:55:18 PM #14 Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:57:09 PM by doubledragoncc
Hi David, great to see someone else making their own controls. I started the same way with a G27 and mounted a set of Harley Dragbars, which I still use now, at the bottom of the wheel to get away from the center pivot point. I attatched some pics so you can see. This allows you to lean with the bars and keep your arms and wrists at the right attitude as on a real bike and to have the bars leaning together with the bike on the screen. This is also a counter steering effect as you push the right bar down and to the left to lean right but at the same time your body is leaning right as on a real bike.

These are pics from my stand alone system to use with a chair or stool.
Hope this helps. Keep up the great work mate.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.