• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 08:53:58 AM

Oliver's Mount

Started by Grooveski, February 06, 2015, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grooveski

Must be about there now.  The new extensions are fair piling up.

Cheers to janaucarre for the tutorials.   ;)  Even without the pics they still made perfect sense and the tip about just stuffing the marshals straight into the text file was worth it's weight in gold(Z and X aren't moving them here either).

Made another rookie mistake tonight.  Was adding and testing camera positions(quite quickly - already had the co-ords and was on a roll) and absent-mindedly hit the Esc key...
>:(
...so I got to add half a dozen again - and learned to NEVER hit the Esc key! 

First impressions of TrackED are yeah - pretty damn good.    :D
I particularly enjoyed watching the wee dudes waving the flags about.  Got to see a fair bit of them because the calc button for setting their orientation wasn't doing anything(didn't take long to set them manually and was good practice for the tweaking they'll need when the fences go in).

Hawk

Strange your having probs with TrackED positioning and the "Calc" function for Marshals orientation - Works fine for me.... TrackED works fine for positioning the Cams too.  Have you the latest version of TrackED?  ;)

Hawk.

Grooveski

I think so(but will check).

The camera positioning was working fine.  I just done it in lightwave first because it's a nicer place to be.  :)  It's where I'm used to setting cameras up.

Grooveski

May 06, 2016, 05:03:57 PM #93 Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 05:45:12 PM by Grooveski
Testrun went so-so.  :-\

Timing wasn't working, cameras still don't have limits set so were all over the place, was too dark, Farm is still too deep, there's a touch of the uphill grip problem showing at the top of Sheen's Rise, Drury's needs more +ve camber, Jeffries Jump is too much of a jump(both wheels rather than reach-for-the-sky front end), first bit of Sheene's Rise still isn't right.

On the plus side - doesn't look too bad. Most of it's pretty much where it should be and for all the track seems narrow from the hot seat it looks fine in the screengrabs.
The timing's probably a triviality, a backwards gate or the likes(had reflaptime way too low in the .ini as well, dunno if that could have affected anything).
...and now that I see thon last pic it's a bit clearer what's wrong at Farm Bends.

Back to the grindstone.....

h106frp

Looking  fantastic, the fact that you cant tell where you are on track even without the scenery says a lot for the design.

Blackhearts NR looks at home on this track - cant wait to try it  :)

Hawk

Looking good mate!  ;D 8)

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Keep grinding Groovy it will be great!
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Grooveski

Quote from: h106frp on May 06, 2016, 05:19:12 PM
Blackhearts NR looks at home on this track - cant wait to try it  :)

Would have looked nicer if I'd have noticed his update last night rather than just now.    :-[
...but yeah, was the bike I already had set and there was no way I was changing for the test.  :)
For all it's a nice low-stress ride it still wasn't easy to huckle round.  Need to work up a setup because the low-speed head shaking at the hairpins was dire(thought it was bumps in the model at first :D ).

Grooveski

Getting there.

Cameras are working now so here are a few of the bits that were missing last time round.

Pit area looks ok from the road.  A little deep perhaps, will squish it up maybe 10% for the next test.  Near halved the depth of Farm Bends - they're not far off now(at last ::) ).

Happier now with the elevations through Mere and the start of Sheene's Rise.  Have ended up with the dip a touch deep but it's all much closer than it was before.

The run down to Drury's.  This bit looks about right...

...but I need to have another look at the approach kink. There's a little rise there I don't think is quite right yet.

Drury's feels closer with a few inches of camber added.  Still not enough though I reckon.

Have maybe toned the jump a down little too much.  Now it's consistantly reach-for-the-sky and not enough 2-wheels-off.  Should be somewhere between where it was and where it is methinks. 
I'll try it on a variety of bikes before having another go at it.
(need to mind and move that camera - should be further down the road)

Also want to check the track camber on the exit of the esses
...and the bumps along the top straight.  (when I first laid down the spline I wasn't planning on having road camber.  Think I've built bumps in that may be doubled when it goes on).
....and the bump before the jump.
.....and the elevations just after Mountside.

Dying to start adding stuff but better to finalise the road first.  There's a ton of shit gets done when I freeze the model and leave the loft behind, only want to do it all once.   :)
One more time round the loft and I'll pop up the next test as a beta, another set of eyes wouldn't go amiss.

Napalm Nick

Well done Groovy keep going mate. I was only watching this on TV today (Poor Billy  :()

Looks like a country road Sunday scratch!

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Ian

Well done mate I rode loads of your GP500 tracks and they were great.
Look forward to giving this one a go.

Grooveski

May 17, 2016, 10:10:24 PM #101 Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:53:50 AM by Grooveski
OK, here's the third test if anyone wants to take a look at it.  I've included a track map with the spline point numbers to make it easier to describe things.
What I'm interested in is the track layout and elevations.  Bumps that should be there, bumps that shouldn't be there, etc.

I'll get the ball rolling with:
Esses exit (80-90ish) should maybe still have more +ve camber.
Track at Memorial exit (191-193) should be wider.
Dip at Mountside approach (284ish) too deep.
Jeffries Jump too low.

There are numerous little kinks and pinchspots on the model that are easier to fix later on in the process.  They're mainly at the hairpins(bulges in the track edge), s'cool - I know about them

If bottomless drops and having to go back to the pits over and over again is likely to frustrate you, don't bother downloading it.   ;)
Speaking of pits, didn't get round to squishing them up so they're still a little deep.
I'd kill for and onboard vid of someone leaving the pits by the way - just in case anyone comes across one.

Hawk

Sounds interesting mate.... I'll test as soon as I can.  ;) 8)

Thanks Grooveski!  ;D

Hawk.

h106frp

May 17, 2016, 10:17:39 PM #103 Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:22:43 PM by h106frp
https://www.youtube.com/v/3skgAIpCpcY

1/3 of the way through they make their way to track  :)

At end pit return

Grooveski

Lol, have never seen them come out there(hadn't even noticed that little bit of road ::) ).  I was sure the pit exit led out to Farm bends.
...and for the entry I've used the righthand of the two roads(where others were queuing at the end).  No reason both couldn't be set up though.

Man, looks real scary in the wet.   :-\