• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:29:54 PM

Oliver's Mount

Started by Grooveski, February 06, 2015, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst1cPrun3

March 18, 2019, 06:02:57 PM #315 Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:05:35 PM by Myst1cPrun3
Quote from: Grooveski on March 18, 2019, 05:50:24 PM
More liberties taken with the start lights.   :-[

In the real world it's a dude with a flag that starts the race...
...but sod it - I want lights. 

Figured I'd point out the deviation to save anyone else having to.
Exporting V0.2 now.  Should be up later.

NEW VERSION UP LATER???!!!!

WAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOO

As for the Lights, as long as they look natural with the track and aren't just stuck on haphazardly its not a big deal for me personally :)

I'm just looking forward to the online carnage at Mere Hairpin in the races... If people are brave enough to do them in GPB Lol

Grooveski

Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on March 18, 2019, 06:02:57 PM
I'm just looking forward to the online carnage at Mere Hairpin in the races... If people are brave enough to do them in GPB Lol

Can't go much worse than some of the real races have.    ;)

Myst1cPrun3

March 18, 2019, 06:51:51 PM #317 Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:01:36 PM by Myst1cPrun3
https://www.youtube.com/v/gOwiLOsw-MI

Seeing this clip does make me wonder if GP Bikers would even make it to Mere... XD

Quote from: Grooveski on March 18, 2019, 06:39:04 PM

Can't go much worse than some of the real races have.    ;)

I love road racing, and I love OM, but sometimes, particularly with how fast bikes are these days, sometimes I think it just takes the p**s safety wise. tEspecially considering a modern super-sport 600 is faster than a super-bike was only 15 years ago.
But they ain't forced to do it, and it isn't gonna stop me having a bash at it later in life should the opportunity present itself like but still  ;)

Grooveski

March 18, 2019, 10:23:22 PM #318 Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:15:23 PM by Grooveski
Upoading now.

The main pit object has a couple of problems.
Know how to fix the normals problem(model all broken up in places) but the other is the wierd shadow glitch that you get on all sorts of walls/buildings/bridges...
...where the shadow of the bike appears on the object that's supposed to be casting a shadow onto the bike.

Had the same problem with the hedge up at the top of the track.  As you were riding alongside it the shadow of the bike was showing on the top of the hedge(towards the sun position, where no shadow has any right to be  :( ).

Fixed the hedge by removing everything but the nearest face from the WLL selection(putting it on a layer that didn't receive shadows).
...but if a bike goes up and lands on top of the hedge I don't know how GPB will react.   :-\
It's only the long hedge from the Esses to Memorial that this was done to.  Feel free to land on top of any of the others.  :D

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Grooveski on March 18, 2019, 10:23:22 PM
Upoading now. (slowly - half an hour to go)

The main pit object has a couple of problems.
Know how to fix the normals problem(model all broken up in places) but the other is the wierd shadow glitch that you get on all sorts of walls/buildings/bridges...
...where the shadow of the bike appears on the object that's supposed to be casting a shadow onto the bike.

Had the same problem with the hedge up at the top of the track.  As you were riding alongside it the shadow of the bike was showing on the top of the hedge(towards the sun position, where no shadow has any right to be  :( ).

Fixed the hedge by removing everything but the nearest face from the WLL selection(putting it on a layer that didn't receive shadows).
...but if a bike goes up and lands on top of the hedge I don't know how GPB will react.   :-\
It's only the long hedge from the Esses to Memorial that this was done to.  Feel free to land on top of any of the others.  :D

I'd haven't ended up on the fence from the esses to memorial yet, and I don't intend to start now, but first time for everything.  ;)
The cafe is  a favourite stop of mine however, so I hope the windows are Reinforced lol.

As for shadows, I should doubt its a big issue, and I'd just turn them off if its distracting, but I can't say I pay much attention to them in VR, as I'm a little busy trying to not die. FYI, when you get the entry to farm wrong in VR that's not fun.

Can't wait to try this! :D

Grooveski

Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on March 18, 2019, 10:36:42 PM
The cafe is  a favourite stop of mine however, so I hope the windows are Reinforced lol.

Even more chance of that now.  There's a little hedge on the right now before it that fires you straight at that side window.  :)
Noticed while I was deliberately trying to get on top of the long hedge, which I didn't manage to do.
...but someone will.   ;D

Grooveski

Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on March 18, 2019, 06:51:51 PM
I love road racing, and I love OM, but sometimes, particularly with how fast bikes are these days, sometimes I think it just takes the p**s safety wise. tEspecially considering a modern super-sport 600 is faster than a super-bike was only 15 years ago.
But they ain't forced to do it, and it isn't gonna stop me having a bash at it later in life should the opportunity present itself like but still  ;)

It's all well and good that the riders accept the risk...
...but twice in one day bikes went through/over the fences and into the crowd - was something like eight spectators injured between the two crashes.

I expect to be adding new fences and airbags in a later version of the model.  I'm guessing at the top of Sheenes Rise and at Drurys - that's certainly where I've had the most big offs.

Myst1cPrun3

Yeah safety wasn't great for spectators, but then again, what did they expect standing on the outside of a 180 degree hairpin with a difficult curved braking zone? I personally think they'll just move spectators back or stop them watching there all together.

As for the airbags, hitting the cafe, mountside and farm is where I have my largest offs, and where there are large blue sofa foam thingy's IRL, but I'm fairly certain I've crashed everywhere in GPB XD

Gonna get on this now tho :)

Myst1cPrun3

Seems good so far, Loving the paddock details, which are often neglected in Mod Tracks with simple garages or just tarmac.
And after a close inspection I could see no game-breaking issues with the hedges  ;)

Grooveski

Paddock's not even half done.  There are still fences and bushes and more hedges and all sorts of junk to go in there.
Been gathering models throughout the build - and it's been a long build.   ;)
Somewhere there's all the furniture to deck out the cafe as well.  When it's furnished I might move that side window off the WLL selection so the riders can go through and in.   ;D

Just noticed another problem in the pits - damn - last minute move and forgetting the ground isn't flat anymore.
Straw that broke the camels back - Three errors on the first model you see - not a good look ::).  Running off V0.3 with fixes, will be up tomorrow.

Grooveski

Start lights flipped, ditched the poles and tied them to fenceposts - bit more OM style. 
Will fine-tune the positions when the grid markers go down.

Syd

Wow, very realistic Mr Grooveski, the details are what makes this track and it is just absolutely superb right now.
I had to laugh at seeing the brolly girl! Although she could do with a bit more shape on those bum cheeks 8)

FPS not bad for my old rig, min. 49 max 170. I was quite surprised with all that detail. It drops to 49 just after the infamous hairpin.

Grooveski

March 20, 2019, 12:26:59 AM #329 Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:02:28 AM by Grooveski
Thanks for the frame count - I'm getting much the same - drops to 80 after Mere(and briefly after Mountside).  120-170 everywhere else.
Good news is that it goes up after the bridge, and that's the bit of the rise that still needs more trees.  ;D

That's likely the way I'll play it from now.  Add stuff where the fps is high, lay off where it's low.

If GPB ever gets double-sided surface support there will be an instant 20% poly reduction.  Keeping all the backside models on their own layers so the damn things are easily deleted in the future.

Noticed that the marshals are all messed up.  Serious normal problem.
There's always bloody something.   ::)
Switching on smoothing swiches off normal recalc in the MAX exporter. I got MAX to do a recalc but....
...aw, sod it, I'll worry about it when it's time for the next version.