• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:38:01 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Windows 10 reservation notification

Started by h106frp, June 01, 2015, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on June 01, 2015, 09:45:23 PM
Just had my offer of free win10 upgrade. Apparently it will download on release (3GB) and then wait to be installed at a time of my choosing  :) Wonder how much of my apps and software will be compatible though  ::)

Looking at the offer in detail - There is a Microsoft app(option) for this offer that you can run and it apparently will check all your installed apps to check their compatibility with Win 10 before you decide to install.  ;)

Personally I have this offer still on my PC but have only looked at it but not acted on it as yet.

Hawk.

Puddingfox

I've had it since it got released as Preview Version and i dont really have many issues just certain games dont work properly or theres no sound for the games but apart from that im loving Win 10

PeterV

its running on the laptop for a test period too see if i like it too bring it to my 2 desktop computers.

HornetMaX

I definitely do not want to update my Win7, so it will be a fresh install for me from the ISOs (they are already available for download).
Will have to check if that works fine with the Windows Product Key stuff.

If I can do that, I'll install on a new SSD, pick which SSD to boot from at boot time (e.g. default to 7) and then take my time to reinstall everything.
That would be the cleanest solution by far. Even better than dual boot (as you can't move that fu$%ing MBR).

Minor trouble: my 7 currently has some "special folders" (My Documents etc) on a D drive (HDD), I wonder if booting on 10 it will find the D drive and do some auto-magic smart stuff to detect the special folders, ultimately screwing everything up :)

Anyway, not right now of course: I can wait 1-2 months minimum.

MaX.

Boerenlater

Quote from: HornetMaX on July 29, 2015, 11:59:00 AM
I definitely do not want to update my Win7, so it will be a fresh install for me from the ISOs (they are already available for download).
Will have to check if that works fine with the Windows Product Key stuff.

If I can do that, I'll install on a new SSD, pick which SSD to boot from at boot time (e.g. default to 7) and then take my time to reinstall everything.
That would be the cleanest solution by far. Even better than dual boot (as you can't move that fu$%ing MBR).

Minor trouble: my 7 currently has some "special folders" (My Documents etc) on a D drive (HDD), I wonder if booting on 10 it will find the D drive and do some auto-magic smart stuff to detect the special folders, ultimately screwing everything up :)

Anyway, not right now of course: I can wait 1-2 months minimum.

MaX.
My win 7 had documents and alot of other folders on the D drive and the migration to win10 picked those same folders. Worked great.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Boerenlater on July 30, 2015, 10:21:52 AM
My win 7 had documents and alot of other folders on the D drive and the migration to win10 picked those same folders. Worked great.
That's exactly what I don't want it to do :)

MaX.

Boerenlater

Quote from: HornetMaX on July 30, 2015, 10:55:24 AM

MaX.
Then you need to select a clean install.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

Napalm Nick

Did anyone who had the Insider Preview installed (using the activation key provided by MS at the time) get a free fully activated update to the real version as was 'promised'?

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

PeterV

July 30, 2015, 11:37:04 AM #39 Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:50:54 AM by PeterV
- Kaspersky 2015 wont install on win 10 (compat issue)
- Nvidia win10 drivers wont install (compat issue)

1 month after win10 install you can rollback too 8.1, its noted on the calender  ::)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Boerenlater on July 30, 2015, 11:02:47 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on July 30, 2015, 10:55:24 AM

MaX.
Then you need to select a clean install.
No, because I want to keep my existing win7 install.

MaX.

teeds

Quote from: Napalm Nick on July 30, 2015, 11:14:35 AM
Did anyone who had the Insider Preview installed (using the activation key provided by MS at the time) get a free fully activated update to the real version as was 'promised'?

Was doing this at work and yes it seemed to go to activated and loose the evaluation label above the clock, not at work this week but will check again on Monday, didn't know this was going to happen tbh but this might explain the change.

Upgraded my Surface now too and it all seems fine.

Napalm Nick

Yeh it was a sweet deal for any new system builds to get a free OS. I missed the Insider install (IE I installed the Preview one day after the keys were de-authorised) by 1 day on a PC I built out of bits but although I have a Windows 8 key to use anyway, I'm interested to see if the free upgrade to the full version for "Insiders" 'deal' was upheld. 
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

I was trying to explain why a fresh install of W10 should be favoured over an 'upgrade', to a client today. As I had my analogy head on I thought this might help:

"Consider Windows 10 to be the food and your mouth to be your receiving computer system."

"Fresh Clean Install: only a little mess to clear up afterwards:"

"Upgrade:"

Hope it helps.

doubledragoncc

Hi guys sorry to be back but thought a bit of insight to the real 10 might help. I run win 7 ultimate so I got 10 pro installed and it is slower than the preview version! I tested the preview for the whole time and FPS and compatibility were great, BUT with a FULL Win10 PRO my FPS is down, controller input slower and it was harder than the preview to get my normal windows config to how I had it in 7 ultimate. I run on an ASUS G75 with an i7 3.3GHz 20GB DDR3 Ram and a GTX670 with 3GB DDR5 dedicated video memory and the FPS change was terrible compared to the test WIN10? I did not test every program yet but as an example, Assetto Corsa in ultimate settings ran high 50 FPS, dont forget I am only on a laptop, but in the new Win 10 it went down to 28 FPS!

I have not spent much time setting this version up but compared to the preview there is a performance issue so be careful before you do a full install.

I hope it was okay to add my thoughts as I know I am not welcome here but I just wanted to help

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.