• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:08:04 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Windows 10 reservation notification

Started by h106frp, June 01, 2015, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Just had my offer of free win10 upgrade. Apparently it will download on release (3GB) and then wait to be installed at a time of my choosing  :) Wonder how much of my apps and software will be compatible though  ::)

matty0l215

Should be fairly compatable with windows 8/.1 stuff

I tried the technical preview and got gp bikes demo working so all is good :P
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

doubledragoncc

Been using 10 since they released the preview and love it. One main thing is memory usage is far better, most programs run better and higher FPS too. A few bugs but the full version should rock.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

CapeDoctor

just noticed the upgrade option today, so can i just confirm - if i go ahead with the update, i will have the option to install it when i choose, and it won't just go ahead and automatically install itself, is that correct?

HornetMaX

It's gonna be free for 1 year, you don't need to rush.

Advice: wait at least 4-5 months and feedback from early adopters.

MaX.

CapeDoctor

good advice indeed, MaX - let the guinea pigs test it first, lol :D

h106frp

Quote from: TheCapeDoctor on June 02, 2015, 09:38:45 AM
just noticed the upgrade option today, so can i just confirm - if i go ahead with the update, i will have the option to install it when i choose, and it won't just go ahead and automatically install itself, is that correct?

The reserve option just copies the install package to your local drive and then waits for you to install, might sacrifice my laptop first and see if everything runs on that OK, desktop has all my good stuff on it that i need to use.

HornetMaX

Anyway, unless i have a lot of reports that says that upgrading works fine, I prefer a clean install.

And we don't know yet if this will be possible (within the "free" upgrade program).

MaX.

h106frp

I wonder if you will be able to generate a bootable 'installable' (DVD or memory stick) from the download package - i know it has been possible with older versions of windows

doubledragoncc

Ive been with the preview from the start and have not heard of a 100% Fresh install only upgrade.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

Apparently is has been possible with preview;
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1401617/how-to-install-windows-10-clean-install-dual-boot-or-vm

Hopefully the download upgrade will be able to generate a suitable .iso much like preparing a custom install of the older OS .. can only hope they see the sense in this otherwise they might have a lot of upset upgrade customers where the upgrade did not go quit to plan and the machine is left unusable  ::).

Napalm Nick

I hope so too. 

During the 'upgrade W7 for £25 to Windows 8' period the savvy downloaded the files and 'saved' them to prepare an iso for a fresh install later while the non-techs could just click 'Run' and upgrade.

Either way I would copy and save any W10 files downloaded to another medium so you have reload options. Check out the upgrade info too I remember there was an upgrade option to purchase a disk which is probably worth a few quid/dollars/scubies for mild-techies.

I will have to do it earlier rather than later for IT support services but, for personal use I'm with Max - wait 6 months or until the first patch/service pack (whatever you want to call the files), are released to appease the moaning minnies who can't handle change lol  ;D They might fix some bugs too I suppose.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

IT is still only an upgrade even if you do a fresh install, you HAVE to have WIN 7 or 8 installed to upgrade to 10. There is NO stand alone WIN 10. Just wanted to make it clear as many read the words fresh install as only WIN 10, not an upgrade.

DD

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on June 02, 2015, 11:54:55 PM
IT is still only an upgrade even if you do a fresh install, you HAVE to have WIN 7 or 8 installed to upgrade to 10. There is NO stand alone WIN 10.
What do you mean ?! For sure there will be stand alone win10 installs.

MaX.

h106frp

I cannot see why it would be a problem, your original win7/8 is keyed (mainly to) your existing motherboard and the original packaged license code, so its easy for MS to know its a genuine install when it does the online registration.

I would hope it will be possible because of all the OEM pre-installed systems where the owners did not receive the physical win7/8 media that would otherwise be required to repair a damaged win10 upgrade or if they want to swap out the original system disk with the system recovery pre-installed.

If it is an install over an original system only then its a disaster waiting to happen  :D