• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:50:31 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Ride vs GP Bikes

Started by Urban Chaos 2.0, June 30, 2015, 01:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban Chaos 2.0

June 30, 2015, 01:00:03 PM Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:10:44 PM by Urban Chaos 2.0
Not too long ago, Milestone released a motorcycle simulator called Ride, and biking enthusiasts every where love the game. People have been wondering which is more realistic... Ride or GP Bikes. I've read some comments here before, and some people have been calling ride an arcade game. I bought the game two days ago, and I must say two things: 1) Ride is a simulator, not an arcade game. 2) It's insanely addictive.

Let me point out why Ride is such an easy game to play, and yet is a simulator, while GP bikes is much harder. Firstly, GP bikes give you more control. You have more control over the clutch, throttle, rider position, and bike settings. Ride on the other hand, takes a lot of control away from the player. The game is constantly making subtle corrections and optimizations to player input. For example, as the rear starts to slide, there is some slight throttle management that makes it a bit harder to high-side. And as you lean left and right, the handling bar is kept stable (to prevent the constant wobbles that plague GP bikes). Low-sides are not common with Ride unless you're on the breaks too long, as rider lean is managed automatically.

GP bikes on the other hand gives you almost full control. However a bike in GP bikes is much harder to ride than a bike in real life for a few reasons: Firstly, GP Bike's motorcycles are unstable. The suspension mechanics are 'bouncy', and the steering input is too raw for a keyboard or a gamepad. This is why low-sides are so common with GP bikes. Especially if played with a keyboard. You see, modern motorcycles have advanced suspension systems, and highly stable chassis. GP bikes motorcycles however, have none or very few of the inherently stable attributes that modern motorcycles have been engineered to possess. So crashes in GP bikes are far more common than they would be in real life. If you watch SBK or Moto GP you'll notice how stable those bikes are, even though they're being ridden at their limits.

Ride is an emulation of real-world motorcycles, as Milestone used data that the bike manufacturers gave them for each motorcycles. This includes the stable suspension and chassis. Ride does need to improve in many areas. For instance, curbs and grass give too much traction, and walls are like ice. The overall collision dynamics are also unrealistic, but the bikes are well-simulated. Older bikes are less stable, and wobble more, while the modern bikes are much easier to handle.

So those are the main differences between Ride and GP Bikes. They're both simulators, but Ride caters more to the general population, and GP bikes caters more to purists. The main differences between the games are in the amount of control they give the players.

Blackheart

I stopped play after a week to Ride, too arcade and unfunny in my opinion.

In my country (Milestone its Italian) we say: "E' una cacata pazzesca!"

It could be translated as: not very nice!  ;D

Napalm Nick

And Ride is a 'finished' game and GPBikes is in Beta. Might be worth a consideration?

There's a lot more I could say but its all been said before so I cant be bothered. Each to their own.

Personally Ride bores the tits off me, and GpBikes gives me more fun than tits. ;D

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Urban Chaos 2.0

Of course the fact that GP bikes is a beta means it won't be perfect. It's a much better game than Ride, I believe. But the fact that Ride has so many bikes makes it a decent game (aside from the bugs and missing features that Milestone is infamous for).

Blackheart

Remember that Gp Bikes has endless possibilities, thanks to us, we can create our content and share with the community (as you can also see in my signature, it would be based in the 125 Gp Bikes)

JJS209

June 30, 2015, 02:11:38 PM #5 Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:13:52 PM by JJS209
have you ever ridden a real motorcycle?
€: thats all ill add to this thread.

HornetMaX

In terms of simulation accuracy:

Ride : GP Bikes = Kim Kardashian : Alessandra Ambrosio

Is Ride fun/addictive ? Not for me, but for others yes.
Is Ride a simulator ? No. A simulator tries to replicate the real physics. Ride does not do that: Ride tries to give you something funny and accessible to play with.

MaX.

Urban Chaos 2.0

I own two motorcycles and a quad bike.

Napalm Nick

Welcome aboard anyway Chaos hope to see you on track for some fun mate.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

WALKEN

Welcome to our forums  Urban.

Please try to post in the appropriate sections, thank you.   
Help me, help you!

Alby46

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 30, 2015, 02:13:56 PM
In terms of simulation accuracy:

Ride : GP Bikes = Kim Kardashian : Alessandra Ambrosio

great comparison :D
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

doubledragoncc

REALLY! are we back to this?............................ I like RIDE with my controller its fun, but thats it...............simulation.............Is there a way to show me rolling on the floor, peeing my panties with laughter and still trying not to spill my beer!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

JamoZ

I enjoyed RIDE for a couple of hours, but to call it a sim is a couple of bridges too far imo. A game where i can apply full brake mid corner, while jumping over the curbs and hitting a AI bike mid air only to bounce off the wall again and continue my way unharmed i do not call a simulator...

Urban Chaos 2.0

July 01, 2015, 07:36:30 AM #13 Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:45:58 AM by Urban Chaos 2.0
Exactly what I've been saying. Except you misunderstand something. Ride accurate simulates the vehicle dynamics of a two-wheeled machine, but the collision-physics are bad, the curbs give too much traction, and the motorcycle hardly gets bent out if shape because it does not allow the player to break too hard, change direction too quickly, apply the throttle too sharply, etc. In terms of how the bikes behave in an environment with no walls, curbs, grass, or other bikes, the bikes behave realistically. The rest of what constitutes the game though, is very much arcade.

I think I misspoke when I called ride a simulator, as I was referring solely to how the bikes behave on a flat surface. Ride, is a sim-cade game.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Urban Chaos 2.0 on July 01, 2015, 07:36:30 AM
Exactly what I've been saying. Except you misunderstand something. Ride accurate simulates the vehicle dynamics of a two-wheeled machine

[snip]

In terms of how the bikes behave in an environment with no walls, curbs, grass, or other bikes, the bikes behave realistically.

Sorry, but no. Not by a mile (a Klingon mile, roughly equivalent to a human light-year).

MaX.