• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:20:12 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Tyre overheat (?) after crash.

Started by Napalm Nick, August 13, 2015, 08:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

August 13, 2015, 08:56:27 PM Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:23:07 PM by Napalm Nick
Not sure this has been submitted as a "bug" even though it has been discussed elsewhere on  the forum.

But after tonight's race and the discussions there, I said I would submit it here:
Edited text based on thread discussion
Problem:
After a crash the probability of further crashes increases greatly.

Effect:
Many ruined/not fun races.

Possible Cause:

It seems to be tyre temperature related - during the crash/slide tyre temp increases too much causing further slides/crashes to compound the problem. But there may also be another reason.Tyre returning to a 'normal' temperature is too slow.
A burn-out proves this as a few seconds burn-out will make tyre have 0 grip for ages afterwards

Possible Fix:
Reset tyre temperature to optimum or tyre-warmer temperature when bike is reset to track / Don't allow tyres to overheat during crash / Don't crash(! not possible until physics improved) / Other reason Change tyres so return to 'normal' temperature is faster

Temporary notice to riders:
After a crash, ride slower until temperatures come down it seems to help

Thank you. As always we are happy to assist with any testing that might be needed, to assist this, or any, fix.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Blackheart

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 13, 2015, 08:56:27 PM
Not sure this has been submitted as a "bug" even though it has been discussed elsewhere on  the forum.

But after tonight's race and the discussions there, I said I would submit it here:

Problem:

Effect:

Possible Cause:

It seems to be tyre temperature related - during the crash/slide tyre temp increases too much causing further slides/crashes to compound the problem. But there may also be another reason.

Possible Fix:
Reset tyre temperature to optimum or tyre-warmer temperature when bike is reset to track / Don't allow tyres to overheat during crash / Don't crash(! not possible until physics improved) / Other reason

Thank you. As always we are happy to assist with any testing that might be needed, to assist this, or any, fix.

Piboso I hope you read this...  ::)

HornetMaX

Which bikes were you using ? GP800 ?

It's already known but in my experience, it happens mostly (if not only) with mod bikes (I recall having told oDi about it a few times). Don't know why though.

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 13, 2015, 09:13:46 PM
Which bikes were you using ? GP800 ?

It's already known but in my experience, it happens mostly (if not only) with mod bikes (I recall having told oDi about it a few times). Don't know why though.

MaX.

It was a race with only the default marusama RC 990 on server/track.  ;)

Hawk

HornetMaX

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

BOBR6 84

Probably related to the same bug (has to be a bug  ???) where after a burnout you have no chance of moving forward.. Tyre spins like its on ice..

h106frp

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 13, 2015, 08:56:27 PM

Problem:

Effect:

Possible Cause:

It seems to be tyre temperature related - during the crash/slide tyre temp increases too much causing further slides/crashes to compound the problem. But there may also be another reason.

Possible Fix:
Reset tyre temperature to optimum or tyre-warmer temperature when bike is reset to track / Don't allow tyres to overheat during crash / Don't crash(! not possible until physics improved) / Other reason

I wonder if the tyre temp model is very simple and the localized temperature increase is applied to the whole tyre rather than averaged into the whole mass.

CapeDoctor

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on August 13, 2015, 10:03:57 PM
Probably related to the same bug (has to be a bug  ???) where after a burnout you have no chance of moving forward.. Tyre spins like its on ice..

i'm happy to hear this is a general issue, and not some problem on my side - i was considering making a bug report for this, when i could find no problems with my controller, but the bike simply won't ride after a burnout. hope it can be addressed  8)

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on August 13, 2015, 10:11:18 PM
I wonder if the tyre temp model is very simple and the localized temperature increase is applied to the whole tyre rather than averaged into the whole mass.
If we had the tyre temp in the telemetry (*) I could probably have a look.
From the outside, the model seems to cover the main areas (3 tyre zones left/middle/right, with their own temp, temp evolution dictated by environment and how you use the tyre).
If I recall correctly, the dependency between the tyre "grip" and the tyre temperature (delta with respect the optimal temperature) is just linear: maybe that's a bit too simple and gives silly values when the tyre is extremely cold or extremely hot (a simple non-linear function could fix that, or even cap the linear dependency to some min and max values).

Could be explained by what I said above. But once you're on a slippy tyre, the time it takes to go back to normal looks OK or is it way off ?

MaX.

(*)
Just another example of annoying omission requested like 2 years ago, 5min development job, and ignored up to now.
During tests, bikes can definitely have temp sensors for tyres ... so if the argument "the community wants it" is not enough, the "make it as close to reality as possible" could kick in.
I wouldn't mind if the tyre temp was not available during quali and races. BTW, I think the tyre temp is available (on screen) when physics debug is on.

BOBR6 84

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 14, 2015, 07:13:07 AM

Could be explained by what I said above. But once you're on a slippy tyre, the time it takes to go back to normal looks OK or is it way off ?

MaX.

No idea.. to me, how the tyre's react to overheating in GPB is a bit too extreme and sudden.. be nice if we could feel the tyres gradually loosing grip.. so its difficult to say how long it takes for the temp's to come down because the tyre's shouldn't really get to the point of 0 grip as it does in GPB.

PeterV

August 14, 2015, 11:48:41 AM #11 Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:10:01 PM by PeterV
1 simple donut overheats the tyre so much that it will prevent you from leaving.
It can take a very longtime before the tyre cools down.
Most of the times the tyre keeps spinning as well (possible through the no grip issue)

https://youtube.be/v/thUoIkG4zVA

Napalm Nick

Hmm I cant see that video it is "Private". Dread to think what it might be but hoping it explains our problem well  ;)

PeterV

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 14, 2015, 11:54:58 AM
Hmm I cant see that video it is "Private". Dread to think what it might be but hoping it explains our problem well  ;)

mhh.. press publish Obi Wan says too pete....I did mhhhh

Napalm Nick

Hey Peter that video shows the problem PERFECTLY - glad you got the temperature in too.
Nice job! Thanks.