• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:49:19 PM

Isle Of Man

Started by Reactive, December 26, 2013, 11:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Quote from: doubledragoncc on January 29, 2015, 09:46:44 AM
You forgot to mention lens flares and flowerbeds H!!!

DD

Can you imagine how much weeding you would have to do on a 60km long flower border. Maybe we should add an 'easter egg' DD country garden section to each track. Sorry for taking the mick a bit but your ' rant of the week' really tickled me - brilliant post.

Oddly when i was working in Singapore they did go to the trouble of fully planted and well maintained garden sections down both sides and the central reservation, hundred of miles of weeding and mowing - i get fed up just doing the back garden.

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

matty0l215

HornetMaX

Quote from: matty0l215 on January 29, 2015, 11:53:28 AM
Its a start :P
Sure it is. But I mean, if we have to pay for something ...

Likely the best plan would be to involve JP in WRS and GPB, who knows ... he may like them :)

MaX.

matty0l215

Going on how good Grooveski's Olivers mount looks, i can wait for JP's IOM. I'm all for seeing the TT track, but at the moment smaller tracks are more user friendly.

But getting JP more involved in the community might help. He'd probably be more interested in WRS than GP Bikes, especially if it had some historic cars... (I'm not sure why he's against us, who pissed him off??)

girlracerTracey

January 29, 2015, 12:25:31 PM #261 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:36:38 PM by girlracerTracey
The re-uploaded video is still processing I think. So hopefully you should be able to view this in full 1080p resolution shortly..at the moment it's stuck at 720p and you cannot fully appreciate the quality of Jim Pearson's amazing work.

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 29, 2015, 11:56:25 AM
Quote from: matty0l215 on January 29, 2015, 11:53:28 AM
Its a start :P
Sure it is. But I mean, if we have to pay for something ...

Likely the best plan would be to involve JP in WRS and GPB, who knows ... he may like them :)

MaX.

I would hazard a guess that the chances of getting Jim Pearson actively involved in WRS and GPB are probably next to zero if not zero. On an active voluntary basis that is. He is not interested in "modern games" from what I understand. His passion is for gpl. He doesn't much like assetto corsa from what I understand..

I think the bottom line with this one is most probably if you want it you would have to, through some means, pay for it..

It's as straightforward as that I think to be honest. I could be wrong but I cannot see JP issuing permission left right and centre to use this track. I do understand, however, that he has indicated he might be more inclined towards allowing the now mature and very well established (read: "aging") gp500 community to do something with this track. He seems to warm more to the idea of long and established gaming communities from the same approximate era as gpl. Gaming communities which no longer can be said to have a commercial slant to them.

That's my take on this issue anyway. Amazing work by Jim Pearson though imo. A one man band on this one in all respects I believe.

grT  ;) 

h106frp

Problem with GP500 is that it nobody could do anything with source code to sort any of the long standing issues with the engine. Looked in on the store the other day and no one has posted  there for a year.
Could the GP500 engine even process a model this size?

girlracerTracey

Quote from: h106frp on January 29, 2015, 01:28:33 PM
Problem with GP500 is that it nobody could do anything with source code to sort any of the long standing issues with the engine. Looked in on the store the other day and no one has posted  there for a year.
Could the GP500 engine even process a model this size?

The store died a gradual death. It's mostly with the Spanish now on the wxat website which is a Spanish language forum. As regards your question as to whether gp500 could handle the length of track I honestly do not know. I guess if given the opportunity they would certainly try everything they could though. It certainly handled the TT "Highlights" track but you would be talking of doubling the length of this for the full circuit.

I'll ask a few questions see what ppl say.

grT

matty0l215

Quote from: girlracerTracey on January 29, 2015, 12:25:31 PM
The re-uploaded video is still processing I think. So hopefully you should be able to view this in full 1080p resolution shortly..at the moment it's stuck at 720p and you cannot fully appreciate the quality of Jim Pearson's amazing work.

I would hazard a guess that the chances of getting Jim Pearson actively involved in WRS and GPB are probably next to zero if not zero. On an active voluntary basis that is. He is not interested in "modern games" from what I understand. His passion is for gpl. He doesn't much like assetto corsa from what I understand..

I think the bottom line with this one is most probably if you want it you would have to, through some means, pay for it..

It's as straightforward as that I think to be honest. I could be wrong but I cannot see JP issuing permission left right and centre to use this track. I do understand, however, that he has indicated he might be more inclined towards allowing the now mature and very well established (read: "aging") gp500 community to do something with this track. He seems to warm more to the idea of long and established gaming communities from the same approximate era as gpl. Gaming communities which no longer can be said to have a commercial slant to them.

That's my take on this issue anyway. Amazing work by Jim Pearson though imo. A one man band on this one in all respects I believe.

grT  ;) 

1080p 60 works on chrome only (bloody Google :P)

Real shame. His work is pretty amazing, he's been working on it for a couple of years now hasn't he? I can understand not liking some of the bigger sims. Assetto corsa community is huge compared to ours and his work wouldn't be as appreciated i think.

Hopefully when GP Bikes is finished and we've got some historic bikes he might be swayed maybe?

Just out of interest, how big is the GP500 community??  There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity from it (on the main forum at least, last post on most sub-fourms was from before 2013)

Grooveski

There are some daisy beds at Charade, they're a copy of the grass geometry raised an inch and transparent apart from the flower heads, same as a lot of games do their shadows.
Real simple but it works.  Even concentrating on the roller coaster chicane your periperal notices them and knows they're at a different height to the ground.

If anyone's getting in touch with Jim about models:
Be straight with him.  Tell him who you are, what experience you have, what work you plan to do to tune the model to your game, what the game is capable of, etc...
His models are beautiful, it was a privilage to work on Dundrod and if it wasn't for GP500's play area poly limit I'd have doubled the edge detail at least.  As it was I was down to doing poly reduction on the grass verges so I could smooth bits of track.
Jim had no issues with me making the changes, lowering the grass edging he fully expected and when I mentioned I'd subpatched Deers Leap a couple of times he told me GPL had an on-the-fly surface smoothing affair in the engine so they could get away with with bumpy looking tracks.
He'd rather see folk do the work than see a bare conversion that doesn't look or run well in the target game.
Close to finish I sent him a video link to a couple of laps and he had me tweak the lighting settings, fishing around for the 'Ireland in August' vibe.  Show a bit of respect and keep him in the loop and he's a pleasure to deal with.   :)

Quote from: matty0l215 on January 29, 2015, 02:05:57 PMJust out of interest, how big is the GP500 community??)

Not very.  Spanish scene is still strong and the bikesets just keep getting better but The Store's been dead for years. 
We've still been kicking the ass out of it pretty much nightly and at least meeting for races once a week at MotoGP500Online.  All the track work I've been doing has been for the online races(and it was worth every minute  ;D ). 
Dwindling numbers have dived now though.  Last series we were down to half a dozen regulars.  We'll hopefully get another MotoGP series out of it but this year might well be it.
....hence me lurking around last night, so used to online racing that I know I'll need to feed the habit somewhere.
Pain in the ass - only stopped crashing a year or so ago and now have to change to a game where I can barely make it out the pits on a 125.  :o

I know - the full game's much better than the demo.
Payday tomorrow.  ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Grooveski on January 29, 2015, 07:23:53 PM
He'd rather see folk do the work than see a bare conversion that doesn't look or run well in the target game.
That shouldn't be the problem around here: there's a nice set of modders (tracks, bikes) extremely devoted. Skill level varies quite a bit, but that can be worked on.

Maybe we should just offer him a GPB license, with no obligation: if he gets half addicted as many of us here, we're rolling :)

Pain in the ass - only stopped crashing a year or so ago and now have to change to a game where I can barely make it out the pits on a 125.  :o
If you ever decide to jump on the GPB wagon, better get accustomed to that: even a 3 week stops makes you feel you're almost re-learning it from the beginning :)

MaX.

doubledragoncc

January 29, 2015, 07:56:49 PM #267 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:58:20 PM by doubledragoncc
I still think it would help if the 2D files for tracks were released for us all to work on to increase the quality of the overall appearance of a track and reduce the workload on the track makers. I really want to help on this and would enjoy seeing some of my work on the tracks too. I think most of us have the skill to work with 2D and produce damn good graphics. I got all the software and a good understanding of using it. I have done professional architectural modelling for over 20 years, Im sure I can do it on the computer too and others too. I am sure it would be a good solution. And to make BOBPP and H happy, yes I could make flower beds wiv pwetty woses.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

His models are beautiful, it was a privilage to work on Dundrod

Hello Grooveski,
Just wanted to say thanks for Dundrod, recently rediscovering my old GP500 would work on win7 64 bit, installing some of the old mods and your adaption of Dundrod reminded me how much fun bike sims could be, this was all after the bitter disappointment of SBK generations >:(.

Hunting around i found that GPB had continued to evolve from the Alpha i had tried many years ago, enjoyed the demo and stumped up for a license :)

It would be really nice if some of the talent from the store found a new home here, the engine is reaching a stable condition and the core engine seems to offer the features that the GP500 community were chasing after. The big bonus is the active involvement of the developer that allows the sim to be tweaked toward (hopefully) perfection.

IronHorse

Is anyone making this track for GP bikes?