• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Suggestions and wishlist recap

Started by HornetMaX, January 19, 2014, 10:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Stout Johnson on January 26, 2014, 12:17:20 PM
But I would like to propose 1 modification to your proposal:
Not sure I understand in where your proposed modification lies. You mean I should do this :

• respawn type: always, not in races, never
  • big crash threshold: whichever scale or maybe crash threshold in gs or Kmh of the impact or whatever

MaX.

Warlock

i think he is talking about races, so already included in your recap.  :)

Stout Johnson

January 26, 2014, 02:57:23 PM #32 Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:03:15 PM by Stout Johnson
Quote from: HornetMaX on January 26, 2014, 01:59:08 PM
Quote from: Stout Johnson on January 26, 2014, 12:17:20 PM
But I would like to propose 1 modification to your proposal:
Not sure I understand in where your proposed modification lies. You mean I should do this :

• respawn type: always, not in races, never
  • big crash threshold: whichever scale or maybe crash threshold in gs or Kmh of the impact or whatever

MaX.

exactly! (just felt I had to explain it in detail in order to give some arguments)
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

Quote from: Stout Johnson on January 26, 2014, 02:57:23 PM
exactly! (just felt I had to explain it in detail in order to give some arguments)

But what would be the difference then ? People wanting respawn to be always possible will put extra-high crash threshold (as you said).
So then let's give them the more straightforward option "always".

Maybe a more understandable presentation of the logic is this (but it needs more .ini params, no big deal anyway): you have one threshold per session type (testing, practice, quali, warm-up, race). In each session, a crash above the threshold (the threshold defined for the session) will result in a "back to pits" (which in a race means DNF), while a crash below the threshold will allow a respawn.

Or, if a setting that makes sense for all bikes can be found, maybe the thing can be simplified in just "respawn allowed on big crashes : yes/no" (binary option, yes for the easy-riders, no for the sim-freaks), one of these per session type (the threshold being hardcoded in GPB). Less flexible but less intimidating :)
Or maybe the option should only apply to quali, warm-up and race (so that we only need one option: ""respawn allowed on big crashes (quali/warm-up/race) : yes/no).

MaX.

Stout Johnson

January 27, 2014, 01:40:34 AM #34 Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 07:49:59 AM by Stout Johnson
Quote from: HornetMaX on January 27, 2014, 12:37:49 AM
But what would be the difference then ? People wanting respawn to be always possible will put extra-high crash threshold (as you said).
So then let's give them the more straightforward option "always".
yeah, I understand - I didn't make that clear. With high crash-threshold I didnt mean a threshold that would effectively make respawn "always" possible ;) rather a crash everyone would agree that you couldn't continue for sure (hard to put into numbers I know ;) ) - so that would change the general mind-set of riders. You would know that your race could be over anytime if you crash real hard... As of now, you can always re-spawn and I think it shows in riders behaviour ;) and it shows here for example: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=609.msg5209#new

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 27, 2014, 12:37:49 AM
Or maybe the option should only apply to quali, warm-up and race (so that we only need one option: ""respawn allowed on big crashes (quali/warm-up/race) : yes/no).
that is quite honestly a great, yet still simple way to approach it - it does sound good.

But I fear that there is possibilty that it won't get a general consensus and will not be used... like with the onboard view. I truly believe if GPB only had cockpit view, people would still have fallen in love with that simulation. But as it is not mandatory people are afraid and they get used to 3rd person view and once used to it, you probably won't change. Therefore it is not really used widely... I assume the same for "respawn allowed on big crashes" option. People tend to go the easy way...

Why is this important? Why not allow people to choose whichever setting they want? Well imho, GPB is a sim and therefore some settings should be mandatory to ensure that this doesn't get too arcade-ish. So I would like to see "respawn allowed on big crashes" not as an option, but mandatory - only the crash threshold should be choosed from. And the easiest setting should still not allow people to continue on high speed crashes...

But I concede that this would be pretty hardcore and maybe there is not a wide consensus for it ;) so I could also live with the setting you proposed MaX. 
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

BozoCRO

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 25, 2014, 11:04:56 AM
Quote from: BozoCRO on January 25, 2014, 10:03:54 AM
my controller (Speedlink strike gamepad) rumbles in the game  :o

Really ? In which situations ?

It's seems random at first glance, but I guess it's the bikes vibrations, for example when changing direction, accelarating hard etc. It's always been like that. Since I started playing Gpbikes.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Stout Johnson on January 27, 2014, 01:40:34 AM
But I concede that this would be pretty hardcore and maybe there is not a wide consensus for it ;) so I could also live with the setting you proposed MaX.
Hi Stout, thanks for the clarification. In the end I guess Piboso will make the call, because too much is at stake.

I do agree with you: if rider view was mandatory, I would not be stuck on 3rd person view now (heh, from time to time I do try a few laps in rider view, I've even created a profile just for that :) ).

However, drifting too much on the sim side (guess the non-sim side could be the "dark" side) may have a bad consequence: less players.
I think this is what has made Piboso include (much against his overall philosophy) all the aids that are available in GPB.

Long term I think that players will decide on their own which category they belong to and the split will be natural

Quote from: BozoCRO on January 27, 2014, 09:52:04 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on January 25, 2014, 11:04:56 AM
Quote from: BozoCRO on January 25, 2014, 10:03:54 AM
my controller (Speedlink strike gamepad) rumbles in the game  :o
Really ? In which situations ?
It's seems random at first glance, but I guess it's the bikes vibrations, for example when changing direction, accelarating hard etc. It's always been like that. Since I started playing Gpbikes.
That sounds very very strange: GPB has no rumble support as far as we know. You sure you don't have some special driver for your pad that make it rumble whatever the game ?

MaX.

BozoCRO

No nothing special, rumble works if I turn on force feedback option. I thought it was like that for everyone  ;D

Hawk

Engine Sound Drowning:

@Max. This has been discussed before in the recent past but notice it has not come to your attention and put on your list yet. As I understood the consensus at the time was to have sound sliders in audio options so that ambient noise(Other riders engine noise) could be reduced to the users preference.

The problem with the current engine sound, is simply that you cannot hear your own engine revs when one or more other riders come anywhere near you. This is a huge problem when trying to race with other riders, and the race starts are just a total absolute drown out, I might as well totally turn the sound off. Three times now I've just flipped the bike straight over on the start line because I couldn't hear my engine revs during the start of a race.
If you can't hear your own engine revs, you can't judge clutch release well at all, it's hard to tell whether your accelerating as much as you think when you can hear another rider accelerating at the same time, etc, etc.... I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about and all the problems it causes.
This problem is especially bad for racing with 2 stroke bikes in my opinion. For some reason it doesn't seem quite as bad with the four strokes, still bad enough to need the sound adjusting though.

HornetMaX

Quote from: BozoCRO on January 27, 2014, 05:15:00 PM
No nothing special, rumble works if I turn on force feedback option. I thought it was like that for everyone  ;D
You mean you turn  FFB on in GPB ?
That means that your pad is seen as a FFB device (which is not the case of usual pads) even if then it is not an FFB device: it translates the FFB "signal" sent by GPB into vibrations (good luck with that). So your pad vibrates more or less when the virtual rider applies a torque on the handlebars.

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 27, 2014, 06:49:39 PM
Engine Sound Drowning:

Yep, forgot that, gonna add it, thx.

MaX.

ALEale

Wow great topic Max! i read this only now! only one thing... i'm not reading any answers from Piboso... i hope he read this topic and take care of these suggestions.. ;)

so good job ULTRAMODERATOR eheheheh

HornetMaX

Quote from: ALEale on January 28, 2014, 01:55:53 PM
Wow great topic Max! i read this only now! only one thing... i'm not reading any answers from Piboso... i hope he read this topic and take care of these suggestions.. ;)
Yeah, he seems to be pretty busy at the moment (he even said so).
In any case, it's good to have everything listed in one place: the day he has some "spare" time, he may read this instead of dicing in the entire forum :)

Quote from: ALEale on January 28, 2014, 01:55:53 PM
so good job ULTRAMODERATOR eheheheh
It happens I have a bit of free time at the moment so I try to do the max (hehe) until they day that will no longer be possible.

MaX.

Klax75

I have two suggestions.

1. In replays a camera that points in one direction. Meaning the camera points North, and the rider and bike would be rotating because of the track. Right now the camera is glued to the bike so what ever twitch the bike makes the camera will do it too. Makes it hard to notice things.

2. A button to change / clean my leathers. lol I don't need everyone to know I am a avid gravel surfer. :/

HornetMaX

Quote from: Klax75 on February 02, 2014, 11:58:58 AM
I have two suggestions.

1. In replays a camera that points in one direction. Meaning the camera points North, and the rider and bike would be rotating because of the track. Right now the camera is glued to the bike so what ever twitch the bike makes the camera will do it too. Makes it hard to notice things.
I think that's already possible, but most of the time tv-like cameras just follow the bikes.
In any case, it is possible if you use a free / free-roam cam.

MaX.

BozoCRO

Please include in wishlist: Clone 20 PiBoSos  ;D