• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:27:04 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Suggestions and wishlist recap

Started by HornetMaX, January 19, 2014, 10:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

January 19, 2014, 10:31:06 PM Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:47:52 AM by HornetMaX
Hi all,
in an attempt to make it easier for Piboso to read through the "Suggestions and Wishlist" section, I'd like to try to have one sticky post with a brief description of each suggestion/wish. If you 'd like something to appear here, make a post in the "Suggestions and wishlist" section: if it gathers enough consensus, I'll transfer it here.

The order is strictly chronological (so that Piboso can only look at the recent items).
Once this is a bit consolidated, I may want to organize it in sections (i.e. graphics, gameplay, modding etc).

• 2014/02/09: Real-time control of electronics
    Description: allow to manually select TCS level (and maybe Engine Brake level and AntiWheeling level too) while riding. That's available on modern bikes (at least MotoGp and WSBK).

• 2014/02/04: Centerline max segments
    Description: allow more segments (max is currently at 285) in the track centerline (for veeery loong tracks).

• 2014/01/27: Crahes and respawns
    Description: after a pretty long discussion with different members there seems to be some consensus towards:

• Have a notion of big/small crash: threshold could be impact speed or deceleration or whatever. It could be exposed as a setting or hardcoded if appropriate (but should probably be a bike property).
    • Have an option to allow/disallow respawning after a big crash. If no respawn, then rider is sent back to pits (in a race, this would be a DNF).
    • Currently GPB makes you respawn ON the track, after being  sure no other riding is arriving: this gets complicate on short tracks with many riders as you may wait a very long time (for scooters on art tracks it would be a nightmare). A potential solution could be to have the bike respawn OFF the track, but let the rider have control on it (i.e. don't impose the wait till nobody is arriving, let him tke responsibility of that). Looks closer to reality.
    • From beta4 GPB makes you respawn where the fall has started and not where the bike has stopped (like in previous betas): this has been introduced to avoid problems with checkpoints (bike sliding after a checkpoint without crossing it). Would it be any better to have respawn where the bike stops but, if the bike has been sliding past a checkpoint, don't count this as a penalty ?

• 2014/01/27: Replay free-roam camera
    Description: today, the camera starts from a given position: it would be nice if it started from the same position (and direction) of the camera we were on before switching to the free-roam camera. Saves moving it around the whole circuit.

• 2014/01/27: Slider to lower ambient (i.e. othe rbikes') sound
    Description: it is sometimes impossible to hear your own bike, which make sit hard to ride properly. A slider to lower the other bikes' sound would help.

• 2014/01/25: Pit-stops
    Description: allow re-fuel and tyre changes, just like WRS.

• 2014/01/22: Rider view in replays
    Description: that would allow some epic footage of online races in 1st person view.

• 2014/01/22: See player names when browsing servers
    Description: show list of players currently connected to a server, either from the GPB servers web-page, or in-game (clicking on a server from server list). Both would be perfect.

• 2014/01/22: Share tracks between GPB and WRS
    Description: idea is to have one track with separate .rdf and stall.edf for GPB and WRS, everything else is shared. So for example track "Monza" would have Monza.gpb.rdf, Monza.wrs.rdf, stall.gpb.edf, stall.wrs.edf and the very same folder could be used for both games. Maybe sharing with KRP too can be envisaged.

• 2014/01/22: Having tracks/bikes loaded from a specified folder
    Description: option in the dedicated.ini/gpb.ini/wrs.ini where one can specify where tracks/bikes are located (with handling of network paths). Could be very useful for server admins (and for people with both GPB and WRS installed with plenty of tracks). Could apply to KRP too.

• 2014/01/20: AI
    Description: To allow people to play offline.
    Status: feedback form Piboso already given, it could be interesting but it may be tough to do something not too stupid and it could turn out to be very CPU intensive.

• 2014/01/20: Ghost
    Description: ghost rider using a saved best lap (or current session's best lap).
    Status: feedback form Piboso already given, not very favorable (to say the least).

• 2014/01/20: Support rumble feature of joypads
    Description: this could be used  to provide additional feedback (e.g. when front or rear is sliding).

• 2014/01/20: Support of XBone (Xbox One) controller
    Description: it may become popular and it has a potentially interesting feature (a kind of rumble on analog triggers).
    Status: XBOne controller can be used (but the new rumble is not used by GPB, just like the old rumble).

• 2014/01/20: Slider noise
    Description: have the noise of the slider touching the ground.

• 2014/01/20: Split suit from paint
    Description: make it possible to select the rider suit (leather+gloves+boots) independently on the bike's paint. It would be nice to have the same "default" mechanism currently in place for the helmet paints: a paint should have a default suit.

• 2014/01/20: Allow a bike (mod) to specify a default helmet and helmet paint
    Description: selecting the bike would automagically select the right helmet model and default paint to match the bike's default paint.

• 2014/01/20: In-game telemetry
    Description: some sort of in-game telemetry to allow bike's data analysis.
    Status: IIRC, Piboso was more for using an external program to do that.

• 2014/01/20: Bike selection in main menu
    Description: today (beta 4b) to change the bike in the showroom it is necessary to go testing (or on a server).

• 2014/01/20: Launch control
    Description: love it or hate it, but it's there in MotoGP.

• 2014/01/20: Chat for dedicated server
    Description: would help admins communicate with the players without being logged on the server.

• 2014/01/20: Allow players to select next track on online servers with track rotation
    Description: maybe via a "vote".

• 2014/01/20: Some menu items/options renaming
    Description: "Testing" in main menu is bad (maybe "Practice" is better). Also "Help" option in "Misc" settings is obscure to most.

• 2014/01/20: Bike max lean angle
    Description: changeable max lean angle for a bike: could be a bike property (i.e. up to the bike modder to fix it) or an in-game option (use at your own risk).
    Status: makes no sense IMO, now that we know how physics handle this.

• 2014/01/20: Allow bike changes while on track
    Description: avoids having to quit the event (or server) to swap bike.

• 2014/01/20: In-line races (i.e. not circuits)
    Description: tracks defined as from here to there, non circular.

• 2014/01/20: Bike start: starter button and push bike
    Description: start button (like on road bike or as a command to the pit slave to start the bike) and "push bike" sequence (for old bikes).

• 2014/01/20: Adjust traction control while on the bike
    Description: nothing to add.

• 2014/01/20: Have tire's temps and pressures in telemetry data
    Description: plugins could log/.show them, dashboard could show them too.

• 2014/01/20: Slipper clutch settings in garage
    Description: let's make bike setup a bit harder than what it is now, OK ? :)

• 2014/01/20: Server "needed bikes" logic
    Description: with beta4b, if server runs bikes A, B and C, you must have (at least) bikes A, B and C to be able to connect, even if you only want to use bike A (and hence have only bike A installed).
    Status: Piboso explained that the problem is how to show riders using bikes B and C on the client with only bike A. Still, there may be a better solution (e.g. if a player has only bike A, show other payers with bikes B and C with a default ghost bike).

• 2014/01/20: Bike less stable when rider is off
    Description: this is borderline a bug: no real bike is that stable without the rider. On some tracks, the bike can go on its own for minutes. Very annoying when racing online.

• 2014/01/20: Respawn after crash
    Description: GPB will allow you to respawn only when the track is clear (i.e. no rider arriving behind you) and will put you on the track. Alternative options could be: respawn off the track immediately (or after a fixed delay, like a penalty) and let the rider decide if it is safe to go back on the track immediately or if he has to wait for others to pass first.

• 2014/01/20: Handling of crashes
    Description: it may be interesting to have an option like: light crash, then allow respawn; heavy crash, send back to pit (in a race, this is a DNF).

Arvoss

I had a similar thread on the old forum, dream changelog. Everyone could reply on that thread and I edited the changelog. It was easy and clear :D
My changelog:
New: Force reset after 3 seconds
New: Ghost
New: Jumpstart = start race from pit
New: Highside animation
New: Crash animation
New: Crash damage
New: AI
New: Stats page in the game
New: Personal stats (Time played, favorite track, crashes, favorite bike,...)
New: Voice chat
Fix: Core.exe crash
Fix: Weird chain bug
Fix: Lag jumpstart bug

iVolution

Quote from: Arvoss on January 19, 2014, 10:41:40 PM
I had a similar thread on the old forum, dream changelog. Everyone could reply on that thread and I edited the changelog. It was easy and clear :D ......
You are already breaking rule 1 and 2 with that post. Max said.... no vague discriptions (crash animation, highside animation) and reasonable amount of consensus (ghost, force restart, AI, voice chat).

HornetMaX

From Arvoss post:

Ghost and AI are indeed pretty popular demands, even if we already know Piboso's opinion on them.

Force restart/respawn stuff: let's see what people think in the other thread.

Jumpstart: create a thread and let's see opinons (I recall somebody even proposed to have black flag not removing the rider from track, like in real life).

Highside/crash animations: eyecandy in my opinion. Anyway v1 will have a new rider model hence animations are likely to change anyway.

Stats page in game: why not ? But also why yes ? (you can Alt-tab and be happy).

Personal stats: not for me. What's next ? Direct link to facebooK ? :)

Voice chat: majority was against it if I recall correctly.

Fix core.exe crash: Nice idea dude !! You're a few millimeters away from being banned from this forum :)

Chain bug/lag jumpstart bug (no idea what this is): these are bugs, different stuff.

MaX.

BozoCRO

my controller (Speedlink strike gamepad) rumbles in the game  :o

PeterV

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 19, 2014, 10:31:06 PM
Hi all,
in an attempt to make it easier for Piboso to read through the "Suggestions and Wishlist" section, I'd like to try to have one sticky post with a brief description of each suggestion/wish. If you 'd like something to appear here, make a post in the "Suggestions and wishlist" section: if it gathers enough consensus, I'll transfer it here.

Good list and understandable to read, maybe post topic 17 and 18 are the same?

HornetMaX

Quote from: BozoCRO on January 25, 2014, 10:03:54 AM
my controller (Speedlink strike gamepad) rumbles in the game  :o

Really ? In which situations ?

Quote from: PeterV on January 25, 2014, 10:32:41 AM
Good list and understandable to read, maybe post topic 17 and 18 are the same?

Fixed, thx PeterV !.

MaX.

Hawk

This respawn issue: If you are going to have an immediate respawn function whether off or on track, I guarantee most riders, especially in a race, will not abide by an honourable code of making sure that they wait while others pass to safely get back on track. My personal opinion; if your gonna allow respawn then it should be back in the pit lane were riders can filter back onto the track relatively safely.

Better still, if you fall during a race, then that riders race is over(DNF), period! :P

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 25, 2014, 12:06:50 PM
This respawn issue: If you are going to have an immediate respawn function whether off or on track, I guarantee most riders, especially in a race, will not abide by an honourable code of making sure that they wait while others pass to safely get back on track.
Then they will fall again. Hopefully the next time they won't do it again. And ban is always an option :)

In any case, if you respawn OFF track, it's hard to get back on, so they'll have to do this carefully anyway. That makes me think the whole thing ("no-wait" respawn off track) should be made mandatory even in practice (so that people can get used to this) and maybe not optional at all. By "no-wait" I mean not waiting fo rthe others to pass by: a "penalty" delay can be added for the time to pick up the bike, remove grass and sand from the helmet :)

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 25, 2014, 12:38:51 PM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 25, 2014, 12:06:50 PM
This respawn issue: If you are going to have an immediate respawn function whether off or on track, I guarantee most riders, especially in a race, will not abide by an honourable code of making sure that they wait while others pass to safely get back on track.
Then they will fall again. Hopefully the next time they won't do it again. And ban is always an option :)

In any case, if you respawn OFF track, it's hard to get back on, so they'll have to do this carefully anyway. That makes me think the whole thing ("no-wait" respawn off track) should be made mandatory even in practice (so that people can get used to this) and maybe not optional at all. By "no-wait" I mean not waiting fo rthe others to pass by: a "penalty" delay can be added for the time to pick up the bike, remove grass and sand from the helmet :)

MaX.

If GP Bikes respawn off track, you'd be concentrating so much on not falling over again until you reached the track that other riders coming up on your position would be totally ignored(Unintentionally of course, and this might be a different story if the sound was sorted out so you could judge how close or far away other riders were in relation to your own position), and if you were respawned in the sand, it would be impossible to get back on track, you'd just keep falling over again and again. Lol

A ban for offenders is an option, but that's no consolation to the poor guy who has maybe lost a vital championship race because of it? Also a ban could really piss people off if it genuinely wasn't an intentional act. I know I wouldn't want to win or lose a championship due to an incident like that.

The more I think about it, the more I conclude that you either have to respawn in the pits, or keep it as it is to be fair to other riders that are on track. after all, if a real rider by some miracle is able to race his damaged bike again he has to wait for riders to pass by before he can re-enter the race. This is as it is now. So if you want keep the respawn then why not just except it as it is?

In my opinion, GP Bikes is a motorcycle racing sim(The very best there's ever been), respawn is for FPS and console gamers. At the very most it should only be allowed for practice sessions. :P ;D

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 25, 2014, 01:37:11 PM
If GP Bikes respawn off track, you'd be concentrating so much on not falling over again until you reached the track that other riders coming up on your position would be totally ignored(Unintentionally of course, and this might be a different story if the sound was sorted out so you could judge how close or far away other riders were in relation to your own position),
Riding on grass is not that difficult. Anyway, that's the same for everything: people will just hit you trying to overtake you at any cost, so what would you do about that ? Have a collision-less game to solve the problem ? I guess not.

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 25, 2014, 01:37:11 PMand if you were respawned in the sand, it would be impossible to get back on track, you'd just keep falling over again and again. Lol
That's false: you can walk the bike out of the sand, like in reality. You can try it now.
It may be a bit annoying, so respawn on grass but not on sand could be an option. But if you are really on the sim side, if you fall in the sand and you can continue, you continue from the sand ...

A ban for offenders is an option, but that's no consolation to the poor guy who has maybe lost a vital championship race because of it? Also a ban could really piss people off if it genuinely wasn't an intentional act. I know I wouldn't want to win or lose a championship due to an incident like that.
If you're riding a championship that is so important to you, most likely the riders in that competition are not casual GPB players.
Also, it's like in real life: you can always lose a championship due to an idiot. Not a lot can be done.

The more I think about it, the more I conclude that you either have to respawn in the pits, or keep it as it is to be fair to other riders that are on track. after all, if a real rider by some miracle is able to race his damaged bike again he has to wait for riders to pass by before he can re-enter the race. This is as it is now. So if you want keep the respawn then why not just except it as it is?
Because on some track and with many riders you will spend a lot of time waiting (in extreme cases you may never be allowed to come back on track).

In my opinion, GP Bikes is a motorcycle racing sim(The very best there's ever been), respawn is for FPS and console gamers. At the very most it should only be allowed for practice sessions. :P ;D

That wouldn't bother me that much, but I do appreciate others may be very pissed off. Without counting that in some occasions, even in real life you can pick your bike up and go back to track.

Also, if you are so much on the sim side, why don't you accept the idea that you have to trust the other riders no to do stupid things ? In real life, if somebody gets back on track at the wrong time then ...

It's like that in other (competitive) racing games: you have to follow rules and you eventually have penalties, but you don't have mechanisms that prevent you from doing silly things when these mechanisms spoil  part of the fun or of the sim character of the game.

MaX.

Hawk

@Max: All I'm saying, Max, is that I would just hate for GP Bikes to be spoiled like many other simulations in the name of making it more "fun". It's already fun. Of course there is room for improvements as we all know, but let's try steer them more towards reality than arcady gimmicks disguised under the intention of making things more fun.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 25, 2014, 07:32:11 PM
@Max: All I'm saying, Max, is that I would just hate for GP Bikes to be spoiled like many other simulations in the name of making it more "fun". It's already fun. Of course there is room for improvements as we all know, but let's try steer them more towards reality than arcady gimmicks disguised under the intention of making things more fun.
That's exactly the point I do't get: respawning ON the track is arcady. Not being able to respawn when you want (but only when GPB decides you are allowed to) is arcady.
IRL you respawn (admittedly, when you can) OFF the track and when you want, no ?

I would tend to think that "hardcore" sim supporters would be more for "respawn off the track an under your responsibility" than for "respawn on the track and when GPB decides it is OK for you to get back on track 'cause no other rider is around".

Where's the catch ?

What are the opinions of other hardcore simmers ? (I may have invented a new word here :) )

MaX.

iVolution

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 25, 2014, 11:22:59 PM
What are the opinions of other hardcore simmers ? (I may have invented a new word here :) )
After some internal consideration, I think that respawning off the track might be a good idea but i see some problems with it.

1.When respawning off the track in a corner, the possibility exists that you have to make an extra sharp turn to get back on the track. When doing this from the gravel or a banked surface, it might be pretty hard to get back on the track without falling again.
2. Not all tracks have room to spawn off the track. I can see how this might create a new "bug" when you are respawned behind the boarding or tyre walls. It might take a lot of work to establish the off-track surfaces for each track that you can spawn on.
3. Some people might be too busy getting back on the track that they did not take the time to look behind them. I can imagine that it is pretty annoying when you have to dodge the slower riding respawned bikes

HornetMaX

Quote from: iVolution on January 25, 2014, 11:35:22 PM
After some internal consideration, I think that respawning off the track might be a good idea but i see some problems with it.

1.When respawning off the track in a corner, the possibility exists that you have to make an extra sharp turn to get back on the track. When doing this from the gravel or a banked surface, it might be pretty hard to get back on the track without falling again.
Gravel maybe it's too radical, let's say you respawn on grass. If there's a slope or a sharp turn and you are unsure if you can make it without falling, just walk the bike. I'm not sure everybody understands what I mean with "walk the bike": in the settings screen/Input 2 panel there are two buttons for "Low speed" ... they are meant for that !

2. Not all tracks have room to spawn off the track. I can see how this might create a new "bug" when you are respawned behind the boarding or tyre walls. It might take a lot of work to establish the off-track surfaces for each track that you can spawn on.
Agreed, but it would be up to Piboso to solve that (eventually) in the best manner.

3. Some people might be too busy getting back on the track that they did not take the time to look behind them. I can imagine that it is pretty annoying when you have to dodge the slower riding respawned bikes
That's the very reasons why you enjoy racing with your RTH guys: you know they are educated riders :)

Please don't misunderstand me: I'm arguing the thing here, but if it does not gather enough consensus I will not push it to the wishlist thread.

MaX.