• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:44:28 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Intensity of the throttle affects sounds

Started by Eagle, January 11, 2015, 09:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagle

January 11, 2015, 09:04:35 AM Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:11:28 PM by Wh1t34Gl3(SAS)
I think it's the only lacking thing in the sounds. As we all know, in real life, when turning the throttle of few degrees, of 10 or full, even at the same rpm, the engine doesn't sound same. It would be harder to configure for the game, but it would sound much more realistic.

Just a though.

PS: Should affect when the throttle go from 100% directly to 0% too (for fire spitting or turbo/supercharger)

tseklias

you mean when you actually 'choking' the moto? meaning that you give more throttle than the engine can actually rev. if this is what you mean the sound is different also between 2 stroke, 4 stroke w/ carbs and w/ injection.
nice point though if this is what you mean.

Eagle

Turbo sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zpu4tBZr8CQ#t=88

When he revs quite high and then stop, you can here the turbo's fan spinning.

Fire spit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AprE6HShaeo#t=16

Same thing as the turbo, but spits fire from the exhaust and makes a kind of detonation sound. (would be cool if we can have the fire too, the frequency of the spits will progress and depends on the engine temperature)

"Roooooo" sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zpu4tBZr8CQ#t=92

When turning the throttle enough to make the revs stagnating it does a nice sound.

That's what i meant. :)

HornetMaX

I tend to agree that the sound department is one in which GPB lacks (especially after somebody made me listen to some iRacing sounds, gee that was just awesome).

BTW, "Fire spit" is most of the time a sign of a poorly tuned engine (especially on road bikes on which people do home-made modifications).

MaX.

h106frp

January 11, 2015, 06:39:20 PM #4 Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:44:17 PM by h106frp
The sound system reminds me of the problems with the old GP500 one as i had a few goes at engine sounds with that. The original sample was just being replayed faster to mimic increasing engine revs, always end up being a unpleasant screech at higher rpm that really did not sound much like an engine.

Also the onboard engine sounds need to be different to the third person chase view, your sat in front of the exhausts and tend to hear more induction roar than anything else (lovely sound  ;D)

Love the wind noise sounds as well, but these should reduce when you tuck in behind the screen bubble.

Maybe a programmable synthesizer engine would be better than fixed sample replay, it would be more controllable over the full range of rpm and could react to cues for short shifting, engine overrun etc

Sound is so important, like watching a movie with the sound off, much of the intensity of the visual content is lost

Eagle

>Max

My father's Z1000sx spit flames when he decelerates from high speed, and just an akra exhaust has been putted long ago. :>

>h106

What you describe reminds me of Moto Racer World Tour on ps1. Only 1 crappy sample extremely pitched on high revs. God, my ears don't want to remember.. xD

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on January 11, 2015, 06:59:20 PM
My father's Z1000sx spit flames when he decelerates from high speed, and just an akra exhaust has been putted long ago. :>
Just what I said: the engine is now poorly tuned (thanks to the new exhaust). On the other hand, flames look cool :)

Quote from: h106frp on January 11, 2015, 06:39:20 PM
Also the onboard engine sounds need to be different to the third person chase view, your sat in front of the exhausts and tend to hear more induction roar than anything else (lovely sound  ;D)
The sound IS different in GPB between 3rd person and onboard. But then, what's the right sound for a 3rd person view ?

A programmable synth could be interesting but it's not simple: it has to be easy to use, produce a decent result and be lightweight for the cpu.
I can't find the site right now, but I'm sure I've seen a company around selling such a product (to create engine sounds).

MaX.

h106frp

January 11, 2015, 07:49:28 PM #7 Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:05:52 PM by h106frp
I suppose for third person it would be similar to what you might hear stood behind the bike during a static dyno run, not like the 'ride past' type sounds that are often used.

I suppose the difference in sounds is like you loving the sound of your throaty new can as you ride along and to the local villager stood watching you go by it just sounds like an annoying wail ;D same source sound but perceived to be very different by the two observers. I suppose that requires EAX type processing to work from a single source sample though.

Glad to hear onboard and chase sound sets are different, shows that i have not spent long playing in third person view though. I do remember how difficult it was trying to get an audio loop that sounded good across the full range of engine loads and revs, it was always a compromise and the changes in pitch do not always suit the changes in loop speed.

just a quick look around, quite impressed by this using fuzzylogic to synthesize an array of engine sounds;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaJlUyA8Kr0

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on January 11, 2015, 07:49:28 PM
Glad to hear onboard and chase sound sets are different, shows that i have not spent long playing in third person view though. I do remember how difficult it was trying to get an audio loop that sounded good across the full range of engine loads and revs, it was always a compromise and the changes in pitch do not always suit the changes in loop speed.
Sound sets (samples) are not different, but the sound you hear is different, likely because the "virtual ears" are not in the same relative position (with respect to the sound source) when in 1st person view compared to 3rd person view.

MaX.

Eagle

January 11, 2015, 08:29:21 PM #9 Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:31:23 PM by Wh1t34Gl3(SAS)
>HornetMax

Ahh tuned in that way. xD I though tuned in a more technical way. (torque map, ecu etc..) Now i think about it, any modifications are tuning..

What i don't like with the wind sound is that when you are around 80km/h and you don't touch the throttle there's almost nothing and when you just start to turn it on, you fully hear the sound. The progression and apparition are weird..

For the 3rd person view, i find illogical that the sounds are louder than in the 1st person view.

BOBR6 84

January 11, 2015, 08:53:51 PM #10 Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:55:49 PM by BOBR6 84
Iv started looking into sound modding.. (not getting anywhere with it as of yet) I have alot to learn lol.

I will stick with it though.. Bike sounds are very important!! Not critisizing because I know its difficult but theres alot of bikes I dont use in gpb because I cant stand the noise they make.. Personally I think the sound should be 80% of the sim experience. At the moment its more like 10%.. Nothing excites me :(

Your 750cc etc sounds awesome! Great work!

BOBR6 84

If I copy/paste the maurasama990 sound files to another bike will that work? Or would I have to tweak to fit different power curve etc?

Eagle

>BOBR6 84

The 990 has tdu1's agusta brutale sounds that is described to be an I4 engine. Sounds more like a V4 to me than a I4... Just a though..

You can copy the sounds if you want but if the min and max value of the hud (first and last rpm number) are modified, you'll have to convert everything in the scl. (few operations repeated like a hundred times..)

I might code (if i can) a little program to convert the 990 scl content depending on the max value. It'll avoid few hours of work on the sounds. xD

It'll do the operations but it won't write in the scl unfortunately, my skills aren't high enough to do that. :(

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on January 12, 2015, 07:13:39 AM
The 990 has tdu1's agusta brutale sounds that is described to be an I4 engine. Sounds more like a V4 to me than a I4... Just a though..
The murasama is a V5 ...

And I would be surprised if Piboso used sounds from other games. How can you be sure the sound is from TDU ?
The murasama sound (as far as we know) has been created by a professional sound engineer especially for GPB. That's why the samples are encrypted.

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on January 12, 2015, 07:13:39 AM
You can copy the sounds if you want but if the min and max value of the hud (first and last rpm number) are modified, you'll have to convert everything in the scl. (few operations repeated like a hundred times..)

I might code (if i can) a little program to convert the 990 scl content depending on the max value. It'll avoid few hours of work on the sounds. xD

It'll do the operations but it won't write in the scl unfortunately, my skills aren't high enough to do that. :(
Adapting the murasama sound to another bike shouldn't be that hard: it's only a few basic operations (surely not hundreds), one could do them with a spreadsheet.

I may be tempted to write a proper tool for editing the scl but I'm not really sure what are the features that would be useful.
On top of that, it will surely lack the most important feature: ability to play back the result ad GPB does.

MaX.

Eagle

January 12, 2015, 09:12:15 AM #14 Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:14:22 AM by Wh1t34Gl3(SAS)
>HornetMax

Oh, you learn me something. Never knew there was V5 engines. 5 cyli ders are rare already but v5... :o
Always though v engines has pair number of cylinders..

But i was talking about the agusta's.

The rc990 and tdu's agusta brutale have same sounds (and maybe the f4 tamburini too, long time i haven't played this one, can't really remember) i noticed that since i first played with the rc. I noticed that the samples names are same as tdu's system as well (except for the s2b prefix and maybe the on/off idle that are added). But I'm not 100% sure, just assumptions. If all of this is false, then i'll change my mods sounds and create mine..

Even with a spreadsheet you still need to enter the values. In the program i'll attempt to code, everything is already written and you'll just have to enter the max value, since it's what makes change everything.

The 2 operations are:

Point's Value and refPitch operation : old max value * point value / new max value = new point value (or refPitch)

Min/maxPitch operation (pretty useless but i prefer doing it, even if the change is at 0,000001) : minPitch(or max) * old max value * old refPitch / new max value / new refPitch = new min or maxPitch

All of that repeated again and again.

But tell me if you make a tool, it would avoid me to work for nothing. xD