• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:41 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Intensity of the throttle affects sounds

Started by Eagle, January 11, 2015, 09:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOBR6 84

Superbikes sound nice but not as loud as GP.. only bike iv heard myself that comes close to motoGP is the Norton with the aprillia engine at the TT.. that was LOUD!! lol awesome.

Eagle

Since it's going to another subject, i just want to know about my few questions. :s Please... :'(

On new topic:

>BOBR6 84

Impossible for the sound database. If we had just to replace sounds, my 3 bike mods would would have that finished already (damn, that would be awesome.. T.T), because they use the same samples. It all depends on the hud i think.

By loud you mean good or loud! xD
If it's the second you can increase the grain to make it louder (not too much or it won't sound nice..)

>HornetMax

Tell me if you are going to code the tool or if you have already started, because i'll start to make my little program soon. (i don't think i'll survive a total rewrite of the scl again T.T). I think a tool to rewrite the scl would be cool already, improvments can be done later.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on January 13, 2015, 03:26:27 PM
>HornetMax

Tell me if you are going to code the tool or if you have already started, because i'll start to make my little program soon. (i don't think i'll survive a total rewrite of the scl again T.T). I think a tool to rewrite the scl would be cool already, improvments can be done later.
What do you mean exactly with "a tool to rewrite the scl" ?

MaX.

Eagle

>HornetMax

You agree that the scl is the main part for implanting/setting sounds ? Just something that avoid doing the operation and correcting everything would helps a lot already. Releasing that already would help peoples and keep them wait the time something more thoroughly is being developped for the next version. Not forcing or anything else btw, don't take it the wrong way.. Just want to know if it'll be made or not.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on January 13, 2015, 05:43:53 PM
>HornetMax

You agree that the scl is the main part for implanting/setting sounds ? Just something that avoid doing the operation and correcting everything would helps a lot already. Releasing that already would help peoples and keep them wait the time something more thoroughly is being developped for the next version. Not forcing or anything else btw, don't take it the wrong way.. Just want to know if it'll be made or not.
If you're only trying to have a TDU sound work in GPB then yes. If you're creating a sound from scratch the scl part is just part of the whole thing.

But I'm still not clear, which "operation" you want to avoid to repeat ? Just scaling the entire file to a new maxRPM ?

MaX.

Eagle

January 13, 2015, 06:40:37 PM #35 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:17:44 PM by Wh1t34Gl3(SAS)
Not only talking about sound imports, of course it includes sound making, i talk in general, not only thinking about me...  (now we talk about that, i'll try to make some sounds, now thinking about wich type of engine..).

You know what i mean.. I have listed these "operation" because that's what they are even if easy, higher in the posts.. That in less, it's already a lot of time that is saved. The big part of sound creation is making them good and loopable (can include edits). Rpm in samples can't be taken randomly, it has to be coherent with the engine sounds (and even the scl if possible, it would be easier to ajust).

Maybe gonna work on a 3 cylinder 4stroke sound (daytona ?).

Edit: Can i just know at wich rpm the rc990 samples has been taken ? It would help me to organise everything. (idle done btw)

Edit2: Okay, testing the layer0 in game. I hope it'll be good..

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on January 13, 2015, 06:40:37 PM
Edit: Can i just know at wich rpm the rc990 samples has been taken ? It would help me to organise everything. (idle done btw)
Shouldn't this be the refpitch of each sample ?

MaX.

Eagle

Ah yea, forgot about that..  :-[

Thanks for remembering me.

I have made idle, onlow, onmid and onhigh, testing them actually. Idle seems good, idk for onlow, onmid seems good too, and onhigh needs to be louder, i'll maybe remake 2 or 3 sounds.

h106frp

Shame engine load has not been included and the 'space' mapped in 3 dimensions instead of 2 for selecting the correct sample, as i understand from this thread this is why you cannot get that low 'growl' typical of accelerating in a slightly too tall gear or when engine braking during braking when playing the sim, the samples are only mapped against the rpm's of a free running engine.

Warlock

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on January 13, 2015, 08:31:49 AM
only sounds iv heard in GPB so far which have similar characteristics belong to the moto2 bikes.. Warlock??
if that sound can be tweaked some more here and there would be sweet as a nut!!  8)

I already did hundred times, just a little tweak can make it sound really crap, robotic , or whatever. Trust me, that was the best thing i could get.
I even worked with granular synthesis for it, i did all i could m8.
And when you think you have something nice, the game changes it a lot!  not even close to what you think you've got.
Its more a matter of luck than science.
I got bored of trying to get a real sound. Moto2 sound took me 2 months of investigation and editing. We need a better base to work with,....either sound engine , tools or professional samples.

https://www.youtube.com/v/JtwrJCGx9a8

BOBR6 84

Ah no no... Its a good sound already! Suits the moto2 nicely..

What I mean is that in your moto2 sound I can hear similarities to the real motogp bike sounds.. So maybe the moto2 sounds could be used on some of the big 1000cc gp bikes.. Tuned slightly! Which is obviously the PITA part lol.

But yeah its a good quality sound!

Eagle

>Warlock

Totally agree, i tried 2 days ago to create 3cylinders (4strokes) sounds and in the layer0, only the idle, onmid and the onhigh seems to sound almost same in game..

But I don't think it is possible to make them. Firstly because reading 2 samples on the same rpm zone is needed and this would force to separate the sounds in 2. Far from a noob's level. :(

It is weird how gpb renders sounds in game too..

HornetMaX

Hmmm ... I took a quick look at SFML (http://www.sfml-dev.org/index.php) and it seems I can use it (on top of Qt) to create a tool allowing to edit the .scl and to "play it back varying the RPMs (via slider) in real time" (as SFML has a function to dynamically vary the pitch).

Now *I AM* tempted to start working on such a tool ...

MaX.

Eagle

>HornetMax

Ah. Thank you so much Max.   ;D

I don't think my program would have served often.. (it would work only for sound convertions e.g: from daytona to speed triple).

I'll continue my mods until you release it. Good luck.

HornetMaX

Hmmm ... there's something that puzzles me: within a sample, knowing only RefPitch, MinPitch and MaxPitch (plus MaxValue, of course), I can calculate the start and end point of the sample (i.s. the value of point0 and pointN, N being the last point in the sample).

Why would one be able to change independently Min/MaxPitch and the start/end value of sample ?

It seems to me there's a relationship between these ...

MaX.