• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:55:41 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Oliver's Mount

Started by Grooveski, February 06, 2015, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: Hawk on June 30, 2016, 11:01:30 PM
Quote from: Grooveski on June 30, 2016, 09:35:48 PM
Quote from: Hawk on June 30, 2016, 09:04:47 PMSounds like you had the same problem I used to have before I upgraded my PC...... I was getting frame rates down into single figures(approx. 7 FPS) on some tracks, but since the upgrade I've had no probs.  :)

Phenom 9500 Quad@2.2GHz
4Gb - It could take twice that but the slots were filled years ago.  ::)
Win7 64

In it's day with the 260 it was the best I could slap together for the money I had but it's day was what...
...nigh on ten years ago?
Doesn't negate the fact that it ran Spa in GP500(not very well it has to be said -was a bit buggy there too).
....and also happily ran Burnout Paradise, Driver San Fransisco, Borderlands 2, COD4 and the likes - wasn't bad - pushed a few a polys in it's time.   :)

Yeah, I agree with some of the other guys here... An updated CPU, Memory and motherboard will make a massive difference to performance. That's what I did and I was amazed at the difference in speed and performance. But like you, I had hung onto a system that was a good ten years old before I decided to upgrade.... I'm not a tech fashionista at all, I only upgrade when I absolutely need to(and I'm not Scottish! Hehe..... That's an English joke the Scots know well. Isn't that right Max!  ;D ) Lol   ;D

Hawk.

Hawk

Quote from: Grooveski on June 30, 2016, 09:35:48 PM
Quote from: Hawk on June 30, 2016, 09:04:47 PMSounds like you had the same problem I used to have before I upgraded my PC...... I was getting frame rates down into single figures(approx. 7 FPS) on some tracks, but since the upgrade I've had no probs.  :)

Phenom 9500 Quad@2.2GHz
4Gb - It could take twice that but the slots were filled years ago.  ::)
Win7 64

In it's day with the 260 it was the best I could slap together for the money I had but it's day was what...
...nigh on ten years ago?
Doesn't negate the fact that it ran Spa in GP500(not very well it has to be said -was a bit buggy there too).
....and also happily ran Burnout Paradise, Driver San Fransisco, Borderlands 2, COD4 and the likes - wasn't bad - pushed a few a polys in it's time.   :)

Yeah, I agree with some of the other guys here... An updated CPU, Memory and motherboard will make a massive difference to performance. That's what I did and I was amazed at the difference in speed and performance. But like you, I had hung onto a system that was a good ten years old before I decided to upgrade.... I'm not a tech fashionista at all, I only upgrade when I absolutely need to(and I'm not Scottish! Hehe..... That's an English joke the Scots know well. Isn't that right Max!  ;D ) Lol   ;D

Hawk.

Grooveski

Quote from: Hawk on June 30, 2016, 11:01:30 PM... An updated CPU, Memory and motherboard will make a massive difference to performance.

Really?  Is that the way it works these days? 
Man, things sure have changed since my old VIC20. 
;D
:P

doubledragoncc

VIC20!!!!................................Thank god I am not alone lol

When I was a young lad..............................

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

My first computer too. I've built a 8/16KB (switchable) RAM extension for it :)

Good times: cassette player, turbo loader, reading head alignement, ...

Grooveski

Hehe. :) Mine came in a bundle with an 8k upgrade, a ROM of Jupiter Lander and the dodgiest stacker card you've ever seen.  Looked like it'd been soldered by a monkey with the DTs and didn't fit. 
Step one of computing - Take file and enlarge expansion slot...   ::)

Warlock

Quote from: doubledragoncc on July 01, 2016, 07:20:47 AM
VIC20!!!!................................Thank god I am not alone lol

When I was a young lad..............................

DD

Hahahah , same here  ;D

Grooveski

Planting fences is boring - no two ways about it.   :(

Once it's done I get to plant trees though - and I'm kinda looking forward to that.   :)

doubledragoncc

Lookin pucka G. Great work mate.

I never knew you could PLANT fences? I thought you "put em up" lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

I know what you mean Grooveski, but that sort of detail is what really makes the difference, so well worth the pain and effort mate.  ;D

Looking great mate! Coming on nicely!  ;D 8)

Hawk.

h106frp

Looks fantastic  8)

Any chance of some other views ?

Grooveski

July 19, 2016, 11:05:13 AM #161 Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:07:22 AM by Grooveski
Other views will show what a shambles the rest of the track is.   :P  That's the only corner worth looking at.   ;)

Hmm, doesn't look too bad from that angle.

From here though you can see there are still steps to iron out where the different ground models have come together.

You can also see the extra top fence rail  :) - there were two styles of 3-bar fence to place so I just modeled a combined version to start with.  When I go back round again I'll delete the bits that aren't needed.
Will be tweaking the heights at that point too.  They're all a little high at present and there are sections that should vary from the norm.

Drurys is still pretty much in bits.  Loads to do there yet.

...but Mountside is coming along.  Still to add the pavement at the bottom right but most of the geometry's down and blended together.

doubledragoncc

Looking sweet Gman

The areas where you have google map type graphics is gonna get worked over I take it?

DD

Grooveski

Yeah.  I already have higher res aerials to apply to the bottom fields.

The top fields and most of the hillsides will be added to the same selection set as the grass verges.
...which won't be wearing that texture - that's just a temp grass skin I threw on for working in max.
It's a wait 'till the end kinda job.   ;)  Means I can stretch stuff about and chop it up without caring about UV damage.

The road won't have that skin on it either - OM doesn't have edgelines these days and that's just another lowres wip affair.

Only the kerbs and fences have what may be final skins on(and they both still need some work).

The nearest bits of that aerial surface will be a few hundred metres away and mostly glimpsed through trees.
...And even at that it'll be getting some work done.  The ponds just down the hill from the pit area will need skinned with something pretty reflective, you can see them from Mountside to Farm and like Hawk said, it's the little details that make the difference.   :)

doubledragoncc

Sounds brilliant. Really looking forward to falling off on this track lol.

DD