• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

29th July - OSexit - In or out?

Started by Napalm Nick, June 30, 2016, 08:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

W10 referendum - last chance to get it for free(dom), offer ends July 29th.  :o

Do we all move up to W10 to pull together in a Microsoft Union group-hug and share our most private thoughts with the world or is it time to take back control in a mighty show of strength and say "stuff that Bill, I like the dark ages"?

What are you gonna do ??
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Like always I'll be sticking to Win7 until software houses stop supporting Win7.

The only time I would rush to make the change would be if Win10 had such big benefits over Win7 that the change was worth the while.  :)

Hawk.

matty0l215

The new server PC will be on Win10 so i can test it.

But i'm with Hawk on this one, I wont be switching until 7 isn't supported. :D
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

Not pulling the trigger neither. Not necessarily because 10 is bad (which mostly it isn't), just that I see no compelling reason to go to 10 at the moment. I don't care about dx12 right now, so 7 is fine.

Just notice that the point when you should abandon W7 is not when software houses stop supporting it, but when Microsoft itself stops supporting it (which will be sooner): too many security risks after that ...

Napalm Nick

Interesting! Its been out a year already! But January 2020 is quite close and we all know W7 is dead after extended support ends then you will have to buy one! Why not get your FREE one now and enjoy the benefits of DX12, Cortana and all the other great stuff? Besides if you let it learn about you it will enhance your life <cough>.

We have had a year for the patches to be rolled out and I don't hear much bleating now at all. MS played the age old game to trick the customers - release something quick that people will berate because it is a big change (Windows 8 ) then release the updated version (W10) quickly after and people will say "ah now that's better". Anyone remember Vista and its successor W7? Doh High Five Bill.

Anyway, moving on, not everyone loves a conspiracy...

If it runs on W7 it probably runs on W10 too, right? Windows 8 had 100% more backward compatibility than any other Windows and 10 is just its evil spying love child.

Come on, keep up or get out of the race, man.  ;) lol Mind you I did hear a few W10 vs GPB problems  :o
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

Well you will then be surprised to learn that many companies are now making hardware that is only for WIN10 64bit and  WIN7 is going to start to be a problem.

Example: Borrowed an Elgato HD60S and it will not work on WIN7 WTF!!!, but its already starting and look at MS and Forza, only dx12 on WIN10.........................

I have been using 10 since it was first released to beta test and love it..................it is a bitch to start with in small ways though.......................

Far better memory usage.............games are faster in 10 than 7, not by massive amounts but enough to notice it........................

The overall user interface is far friendlier and lets you have old 7 style or newer 8 style start menu or a bit of both...............

If you have 7 and get the upgrade free before you do have to pay for it then you can always revert back to 7......................

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

matty0l215

Main question, any licensed software i have. Will i still be able to use them licenses/will i need to re-install everything??
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

doubledragoncc

You dont have to reinstall anything!!! All licenses can be used again if you need to any time or want to download the upgrade where you do a  fresh install instead.

I did an upgrade and did not have to change a thing.

Only problem I had was my own fault in the end.

It is really worth it IMO and I am a fussy bitch.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Napalm Nick

Personally I am a clean install man. Not a fan of upgrades, especially Microsoft ones. So I would have to reinstall everything again afterwards. Licensing is not normally a problem as long as you are still using only one copy. I have some PCs running W10 and all from the disks Microsoft kindly supply on their site (ISOs to burn to discs) But that way is a faff unless you know how to get the new W10 license key before a fresh install.

But a good question. As I have not done an upgrade method yet I'm not 100% sure other than to say it should be ok eek.

doubledragoncc

I have done both ways and prefer the fresh install myself. Had no problems with a single license.

Upgrade is piss easy too.

DD

Napalm Nick

Superb. So still missing a few reasons not to jump.

My biggest worry is my Games/Multimedia PC not having a smooth transition and the endless nausea that would cause. I might dry run it by making an image as it stands, then upgrading and if it goes brown loading back the image. But.... will this work once the W10 has been done and the 8 license locked out (what happens when you get your new W10 key as part of the upgrade). Will doing it this way within 30 days work or does it have to be done the 'official' roll back way??

Hmm unknown and risky, maybe I will just stay and in 3 years buy a W10. I like a simple life.

Haven't had to weigh up this many pro's and cons before a deadline, since 23rd June.

h106frp

I've bought a spare SSD with the plan of using it for win10  but keeping the old drive intact just in case   ::)

HornetMaX

A few colleagues upgraded to 10 (more or less intentionally :) ) and then rolled back to 7 without any problem.
But not, the image thingy won't work: your old license gets deactivated I think.

Quote from: h106frp on June 30, 2016, 10:06:06 PM
I've bought a spare SSD with the plan of using it for win10  but keeping the old drive intact just in case   ::)
But you can't have the free upgrade in that case. My understanding is that when you upgrade your old 7/8 license is deactivated and replaced by a 10 license.
Only chance is the rollback (which as I said above seems to work better than I expected).

Napalm Nick

My understanding too. Upgrade puts your old key into deactivation for 30 days, in which time you can roll back and the old key is released back into activation. After 30 days the old key is (in effect) deleted, so cannot be re-activated. Whether that re-activation period is honoured after the free upgrade date is another concern.

Also H - you will probably have to install your W7/8 and activate it on the SSD so you can do the upgrade then grab the new key for a subsequent fresh install (if needed). An easier way will be to image out your drive to the SSD or it will be more hassle than its worth.

Obviously if a fresh install is done there is no rolling back from inside W10.

doubledragoncc

I can still use my original WIN7 Ultimate Enterprise key if I want to no problem.

MS can NOT deactivate an original key just because you upgraded to 10.

Correct Nick no rollback with fresh install just fresh 7 or 8 install with original 7 or 8 key

Been through it all to see lol

DD