• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:03:38 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Which view do you use?

Started by h106frp, November 18, 2015, 05:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just curious, what is your default view preference

100% onboard
16 (38.1%)
100% chase
12 (28.6%)
both
14 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: November 23, 2015, 05:20:39 PM

h106frp

With some decent mod bikes posted recently i have noticed the onboard view seems to get very little attention and some are quite poor quality. Is it because the modders believe no one ever uses this onboard view?

I never use chase and i would like to see at least a few bikes with quality onboard models, textures and working gauges.

Thanks

C21

I always use chase (better called 3rd person) but checked the onboard (1st person) of correct graphic (e.g. hands on the bars....).
But i do not care if the onboard instruments are working or not.....(i´m physic modder not graphic).....i transfer this to our gfx guy  ;D 8)
I test and race in 3rd person only.
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

JJS209

~80% 3rd person and ~20% onboard view for me.

Napalm Nick

My preference would be for onboard all the time but not if others are using 3rd person in a race. I compromise and now use 3rd person more. Its nice to see the bike and have more spatial awareness in a race.

Once VR is mainstream, there are hardcore servers with lots of similar minded players and the best-laps server distinguishes between different views I'm quite happy to compromise.

But I agree I wish all the Mod bike authors ensured the onboard view was correct. It still surprises me that onboard isn't the mainstream here really.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

CapeDoctor

for me, probably about the same as JJS209's previous reply.
i use external(chase) view more because i can get a better idea visually of what the bike is doing, and this helps to compensate for the lack of 'feel' when playing on a PC as opposed to riding in reality.
If the feel/feedback from riding could be improved, be this via some sort of extra controller that provides accurate tactile feedback or something similar, then i would much prefer to ride in the real onboard view.
another issue for me is the default view position of the first person onboard view isn't the same as it might be in reality, at least for many of the bikes - i find the view to be too low, too close to the tank, and that it should be higher, as my forward view is quite hampered by this. i'm not talking about when the rider leans forward behind the fairing - for the most part, this is okay.
the problem with many of the bikes i've tried is that the 'upright' rider view is lower in first-person view, than it should be when looking from third-person view. hope i explained this okay?
and lastly, yes, the detailing also determines how much time i'm prepared to spend in on-board view - if the cockpit is crudely modelled, clocks not working, etc, then i won't spend more time in that view, and just go straight to third person.
other bikes which have well-detailed dash, etc - i am much happier to spend more time in this view.
finally, let me just say that the first-person view (the only one that we use in real life, lol) will provide a much more immersive sim experience than the external view, even if it is a bit trickier to master.
my $5, lol  ;D

Napalm Nick

Quoting yourself is very pretentious I must say lol.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

CapeDoctor

November 18, 2015, 06:45:06 PM #6 Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:46:47 PM by CapeDoctor
err....lol. i really have no idea how that happened..heheh!  ::)
gonna try remove .
ah, i see what happened - i edited my previous post, but hit 'quote' instead of 'modify', lol  :-[

Napalm Nick

Lol. No its a good ploy to get a point across hehe  ;)

matty0l215

100% on board

Ever since PeteV's events. Can't ride in 3rd person now, too boring and predictable. ;D
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

BOBR6 84

November 18, 2015, 07:28:00 PM #9 Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:34:29 PM by BOBR6 84
I like both.. Depends what mood im in lol. Would be nice to see more onboard only servers though.

I always enjoy riding juju's RCV onboard but for some reason the dash does not work anymore? Things like this put me off using onboard.

h106frp

Quote from: CapeDoctor on November 18, 2015, 06:11:14 PM
for me, probably about the same as JJS209's previous reply.
i use external(chase) view more because i can get a better idea visually of what the bike is doing, and this helps to compensate for the lack of 'feel' when playing on a PC as opposed to riding in reality.
If the feel/feedback from riding could be improved, be this via some sort of extra controller that provides accurate tactile feedback or something similar, then i would much prefer to ride in the real onboard view.
another issue for me is the default view position of the first person onboard view isn't the same as it might be in reality, at least for many of the bikes - i find the view to be too low, too close to the tank, and that it should be higher, as my forward view is quite hampered by this. i'm not talking about when the rider leans forward behind the fairing - for the most part, this is okay.
the problem with many of the bikes i've tried is that the 'upright' rider view is lower in first-person view, than it should be when looking from third-person view. hope i explained this okay?
and lastly, yes, the detailing also determines how much time i'm prepared to spend in on-board view - if the cockpit is crudely modelled, clocks not working, etc, then i won't spend more time in that view, and just go straight to third person.
other bikes which have well-detailed dash, etc - i am much happier to spend more time in this view.
finally, let me just say that the first-person view (the only one that we use in real life, lol) will provide a much more immersive sim experience than the external view, even if it is a bit trickier to master.
my $5, lol  ;D

Interesting comments on the view height. I just ran a quick test with the default 990 and that seems to be correct, 3rd person and onboard view both reflect the correct rider height. I also agree that some bikes are a bit odd, the RSW seems to give a very low viewpoint and i can only guess this is a function of the bike model dimensions and the way the rider pose is 'rigged'.

I also noted that the 3rd person view does not give a better track view, the corner entries are visible at the same distance away on the track even on uphill turns.

Strangely i get a better feel for the bike with onboard, especially bumpy sections, but obviously less warning if losing the rear. It is strange that 3rd person is generally reported to give faster lap times though, still trying to work out exactly why.

Nice to see we have a few other committed first person riders  :), like Matty i just find 3rd person a bit 'dull' compared to first person view  ;)

Stout Johnson

Quote from: Napalm Nick on November 18, 2015, 06:10:31 PM
My preference would be for onboard all the time but not if others are using 3rd person in a race. I compromise and now use 3rd person more. Its nice to see the bike and have more spatial awareness in a race.

Once VR is mainstream, there are hardcore servers with lots of similar minded players and the best-laps server distinguishes between different views I'm quite happy to compromise.

But I agree I wish all the Mod bike authors ensured the onboard view was correct. It still surprises me that onboard isn't the mainstream here really.
Could not agree more! Bascially, I use onboard view and I really think onboard should be the only view available for a simulation. Guys around here are even discussing about whether launch control or a sound slider should be made available or not - when it is allowed to use 3rd person view  ::) that just does not make sense. I hope there will be a change in policy in terms of view some time (even if I know the chances are slim).

As soon as I feel like continuing the Skeet skeet race events, I will continue to make them cockpit-view-only events. Not only is it the only realistic way of doing it on a simulator, it also made for more interesting races as it was a level playing field.

Speaking of this, it would be really good to have nice onboard views coming with the mod bikes. I remember Juju's Suzuki GSXR and the Ducati GP12 - they were real masterpieces because they put so much love in the cockpit design. But I really see the argument of C21 too - he is a physics modder, and he is doing a superb job in this area. But maybe some talented gfx guy would be willing to contribute? For me a bike mod is not really complete until the cockpit view is also nicely done.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

matty0l215

Quote from: Stout Johnson on November 18, 2015, 08:50:08 PM

As soon as I feel like continuing the Skeet skeet race events, I will continue to make them cockpit-view-only events. Not only is it the only realistic way of doing it on a simulator, it also made for more interesting races as it was a level playing field.

Please please dear god be soon ;) :P  I loved them events, Brno on-board was one of the best races I've ever had!

And whatever happened to Juju? I miss his bikes.  :'(  They were really beautifully made and a joy to make skins for...
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Napalm Nick

Only did one event since I been here - onboard at the old 78? Hockenheim. So fast! I find it very thrilling to race onboard there.  And not too difficult to learn the track either . Onboard takes more practice for sure.

Quote from: h106frp on November 18, 2015, 08:28:38 PM
I also noted that the 3rd person view does not give a better track view, the corner entries are visible at the same distance away on the track even on uphill turns.

Strangely i get a better feel for the bike with onboard, especially bumpy sections, but obviously less warning if losing the rear. It is strange that 3rd person is generally reported to give faster lap times though, still trying to work out exactly why.

Although apexes are about the same I cant see as much of the corner onboard as in 3rd P so the arc of the corner has to be memorised rather than seen. And to me this is the main reason 3rd P is faster. Its easier to get entry speed and angle setup before the corner if you can see the arc beforehand.
Although a really good onboard rider will match a really good 3rd P rider I am sure. I mean the bikes can only go so fast, irrespective of the view. I agree onboard on bumpy sections is better for 'feeling' what the bike can handle.

I need to invest in that Freetrack setup H and Max have tested, discussed and conquered - it will reduce the lack of spatial awareness a lot I think.
But it is not a good time for me to be dabbling in new stuff just now. Count me in for any Hardcore. ;)

doNico

Quote from: h106frp on November 18, 2015, 08:28:38 PM

Nice to see we have a few other committed first person riders  :), like Matty i just find 3rd person a bit 'dull' compared to first person view  ;)

I guess the fester lap times are possible because of the rear wheel view. Onboard, as you mentioned before, your not able to control the rear wheel "directly" because you dont feel how far you can go (my opinion).
I tired onboard every now and than and i dont get a good feeling ... ok, im one of the guys stepping up from Milestone games to a simulation, i never got used to onboard do ...  i also have a better feel for the apex .. somehow ... i never hit the points i wanted with onboard... (dont laugh, im not hitting them in 3rd person anyways) but the feeling is just better.

~doN