• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:32:41 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Which view do you use?

Started by h106frp, November 18, 2015, 05:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just curious, what is your default view preference

100% onboard
16 (38.1%)
100% chase
12 (28.6%)
both
14 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: November 23, 2015, 05:20:39 PM

h106frp

Quote from: Napalm Nick on November 19, 2015, 11:12:32 AM
Yes and to be fair it has also been discussed before not that long ago ( I'm turning into Jamoz).
For me I would like all the options in the offline settings to be individually selectable in the server dedicated.ini.

At the moment there aren't enough selectable options.

Quick scan of the wishlist nothing on this subject, i do not think it was ever actually proposed as a game improvement.

Napalm Nick

November 19, 2015, 11:40:55 AM #31 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:45:05 AM by Napalm Nick
Yeh there was - it also went on to ask Ali if it was something that could be implemented but went dead when it was realised the servers don't send out the info. I might dig out the reference in fact here is one of the bits admittedly a long time ago (8 weeks ROFL). Somewhere on here was me saying about having individual dedicated.ini settings too for the server.
http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1117.msg39505#msg39505

So unless we knock up a specific entry in the wishlist thread how can we expect PiB to remember if we can't lol.

Anyway, if the only place the information is shown is on the Best Laps server then if Ali won't implement it then having it as an option would still be great for race events but limited to that.

Other examples for the dedicated ini - any of the 'assists' (eg auto lean/wheeling help/clutch shenanigans) would be nice to individually choose what is and isn't allowed on the server.

H - exactly it was discussed but not wish listed, as I suggested. I think I didn't do it due to the lack of interest in riding 1st P anyway

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

It would be a big improvement to the wishlist if one of the admins could somehow sort the 'completed wishes' into another archive area so that only the outstanding ones remained in the list, its already 10 pages long and i noticed quite a few of the older ones have been added/resolved for B7. Should i add this request to the wishlist though?  ::)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on November 19, 2015, 11:40:55 AM
Anyway, if the only place the information is shown is on the Best Laps server then if Ali won't implement it then having it as an option would still be great for race events but limited to that.
There's also the GPB stats page: http://stats.gp-bikes.com/records.php

Quote from: Napalm Nick on November 19, 2015, 11:40:55 AM
Other examples for the dedicated ini - any of the 'assists' (eg auto lean/wheeling help/clutch shenanigans) would be nice to individually choose what is and isn't allowed on the server.
I see little value in that, as any aid makes you slower.  For me what we have now (force_cockpit = 0/1 and no_aids = 0/1) does the job OK.

Napalm Nick

November 19, 2015, 12:16:33 PM #34 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:24:10 PM by Napalm Nick
Maybe assists make you slower but why should someone using no assists be allowed to have the easy consistency in a race when a non-assisted person is working their balls off to get round. Its all about potential of mistakes not fastest laps ( in a race).

A visual interpretation - would you be happy using the left controller while others use the right? LOL "exaggeration for effect" is my Motto

For hotlapping its fine as it is - maybe with the servers outputting view mode for the results.  But hot lapping is like qualifying - hardly the main event.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Stout Johnson

Quote from: Hawk on November 19, 2015, 06:37:19 AM
[...]A lot of that could be solved through a very good implementation of sound, and feel(through FFB on a controller). The only thing that can never be simulated viably is the forces(G-forces) you get while riding a bike, but even those can be substituted with feedback through the FFB in your controller to a certain degree.

Using a free-look system demonstrates spatial awareness problems in an obvious way - For example: When you come into a hairpin bend and look left into the apex you loose view(and therefore awareness) of your bike, and because there is no feedback to the position of the bike relative to the track and also no feel of what the bike is doing underneath you in this circumstance, it is very easy, when viewing to the front again to find that you have either overshot or undershot your racing line through the corner; and that's if your lucky.... a lot of times you will more than likely end-up crashing.

So if I were Piboso; as soon as I'd finished all the major development implementations and and sorted the bugs, I would then concentrate on implementing very VERY good sound and FFB systems; and they have to be superb systems to come anywhere near giving the feedback that a bike rider needs(for 1st person view riding) when lacking real-life vital feedback such as G-forces, feel and sound that are vital for a rider to keep aware of what the bike is doing underneath them.

Just my thoughts on barriers to an excellent 1st person view riding experience.  ;)
Well put words mate, totally agree. I am a supporter of onboard view already, but I am with you on the things you mentioned: they would make onboard view that much more rewarding!

Quote from: HornetMaX on November 19, 2015, 08:22:06 AM
Quote from: Stout Johnson on November 18, 2015, 08:50:08 PM
Guys around here are even discussing about whether launch control or a sound slider should be made available or not - when it is allowed to use 3rd person view  ::) that just does not make sense. I hope there will be a change in policy in terms of view some time (even if I know the chances are slim).
Do you realize that if 1st person view is enforced, out of 100 potential new customers, GPB will probably lose 90 or more ?
Don't get me wrong, I do see your point and if 1st person was the only alternative, I'd be using it. But ...
I am well aware of that, that is why I wrote that I know the chances are slim. And I much rather have GPB as it is (with 3rd person view in order to widen the customer appeal) than not having GPB at all ;) But it is a concession towards arcade, that's just what it is - Period. And I do not understand other discussions which are far from a definite arcade-approach but still are being discussed (sound slider, launch control) while we do allow 3rd person view. That's the whole point.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

Quote from: Stout Johnson on November 19, 2015, 08:19:36 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on November 19, 2015, 08:22:06 AM
Do you realize that if 1st person view is enforced, out of 100 potential new customers, GPB will probably lose 90 or more ?
Don't get me wrong, I do see your point and if 1st person was the only alternative, I'd be using it. But ...
I am well aware of that, that is why I wrote that I know the chances are slim. And I much rather have GPB as it is (with 3rd person view in order to widen the customer appeal) than not having GPB at all ;) But it is a concession towards arcade, that's just what it is - Period.
We agree.

Quote from: Stout Johnson on November 19, 2015, 08:19:36 PM
And I do not understand other discussions which are far from a definite arcade-approach but still are being discussed (sound slider, launch control) while we do allow 3rd person view. That's the whole point.
It's simple though: these other concessions are discussed because they don't cause customers to run away if they are/are not implemented, whichever decision is taken on them.

BOBR6 84

I do like using the onboard view though! But to me its just a different style of play.. Im around 1sec slower using onboard but with plenty of practice I think I could match my own pb laptimes. Im all for simulation and realism but apart from gpbikes.. Im not a hardcore ''sim racer'' .. Its more about the bike physics and handling for me..

h106frp

Slightly back on thread its nice to see the poll indicates an even spread of preference for forum members so far :)

Hopefully this will encourage the modders that they have a good appreciative audience for a realistic onbike view  :)

Slightly back off thread, i have noticed in the media section that for non edited movie type laps the onbike view seems very popular for replays in preference to 3rd person ;)

BOBR6 84

Quote from: h106frp on November 19, 2015, 10:04:19 PM

Slightly back off thread, i have noticed in the media section that for non edited movie type laps the onbike view seems very popular for replays in preference to 3rd person ;)

Haha yeah even if I do some laps in 3rd person I prefer to record the replay in nose camera! Or just ride onboard.. Its all about the end result!! Like riding with a go-pro camera.. You watch it when you get back  ;) although I use 3rd person, I dont actually like it.

davidboda46

Always onboard, custum Max Hud helmet (stole the textures from MotoGP-game  :P ).
(Old pic but you get the idea)
screen067 by David, on Flickr

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Hawk

Hmmm..... I find it interesting that although in the poll results we seem to have more riders saying they ride 100% 1st person view all the time and yet on-board race events seem to struggle to get the participation that 3rd person view events get?

I have to ask why all these 1st person view only riders don't seem to want to join online race events? You should... It's great fun! Plus that would also encourage others to move over to 1st person view riding if the majority of riders only participated in on-board view only events.  ;D

The power is in your hands to make it happen.  ;) 8)

Hawk.

davidboda46

Quote from: Hawk on November 20, 2015, 11:16:33 AM
Hmmm..... I find it interesting that although in the poll results we seem to have more riders saying they ride 100% 1st person view all the time and yet on-board race events seem to struggle to get the participation that 3rd person view events get?

I have to ask why all these 1st person view only riders don't seem to want to join online race events? You should... It's great fun! Plus that would also encourage others to move over to 1st person view riding if the majority of riders only participated in on-board view only events.  ;D

Hawk.

I don't join race events because of "core.exe" and other stability issues (lag etc). If those things will be sorted, then I will definitely race online, both in 1st p-view and "open view"-events. Can't speak for other 1stPV-riders though... 

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46 
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Napalm Nick

Quote from: Hawk on November 20, 2015, 11:16:33 AM

Hawk.

I wondered the same thing too Hawker. 24 possible riders and we got 6 with some who didn't like it last 1st P race lol. Nobody has to race of course, its just a shame  :'(

h106frp

November 20, 2015, 12:59:37 PM #44 Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:03:49 PM by h106frp
It would be nice to observe the response to a hotlap 1P event  ;)

Choice of track is important for starting with 1P, featureless flat tracks are not the easiest to remember your way around and where the turn in points are. Tracks with psychedelic track surfaces can get distressing after a while as well  :o

Only just getting used to having other traffic around as well - i think when you have a lot of 3P riders around they forget that you cannot see them until after they show you a front wheel and can try and force past when you would not really expect it to happen.

Do 'blue flags' operate for races?

I have enjoyed wobbling around some of the hotlap events recently, but never liked Cadwell (feels about as wide as my garden path) and the issues with the track surface on the 'normal' line at Combe make it difficult to enjoy in 1P (for me anyway), but it should be excellent once resurfaced.

The other issue is the 'old' respawn - i think a lot of people were/are put off by the fact you could easily ruin someone race - even as a backmarker. It should be better now but some tracks still have you materializing in the middle of the track.